Any hope for resolving all the cheating in MW2?

All of you MW2 owners get what you deserve. Stop bitching.

Good analogy ---> Its as if someone told you, "Don't go outside tomorrow, someone will fuck you in the ass" and all over the news channels all you would see it "Tomorrow, STAY HOME, do not go outside for you will be fucked in the ass!" and you see that and say to your self...."Hey I gotta go to the store tomorrow for some tampons so I'm just gonna risk it because it might be worth it" Then tomorrow comes, and you put your shoes on, walk out side to your car, and half way across your lawn guess what happens...OMG YOU GOT F'd in the A!!! "I cannot believe this!" you exclaim, "Why did I get F'd in the A? Will someone make this stop?"

No, they will not make it stop, they will continue ramming you without lube through the duration of the day and you sir, asked for it. Enjoy MW2.

Well online cheats are there, always have and always will be.
What scares me is the people running dedicated servers. I have seen them kick/ban people for being a good player but if you shoot an admin and piss him off you are a hacker.
Kinda like the its my football and I do what I want too.
Does this show up as them hacking on the official stuff. I don't know.

Well online cheats are there, always have and always will be.
What scares me is the people running dedicated servers. I have seen them kick/ban people for being a good player but if you shoot an admin and piss him off you are a hacker.
Kinda like the its my football and I do what I want too.
Does this show up as them hacking on the official stuff. I don't know.

True, true... I have only run into that a couple times in the past though, and I tended to be a target for that sort of treatment in CoD4 in particular (something about that game just let me get 10:1 or better killstreaks all day long). 2 out of hundreds of servers isnt bad... not to mention, if that is how they are, did you really want to be playing with them in the first place?

OTOH, there is a sort of hacker justice in MW2. I play with a group, and more often than not, one of us is the host (9/10 times some other host quits in game, I end up hosting since Im near Chicago). Anyways, you just tell the hacker that you will kill the game if they dont stop it. The lack of anti-hacking interest in MW2 often means that the hackers will just say 'yeah, I am, so what?' if you accuse them... so they are alot bolder and its blatant in the game. So you can threaten them with killing the game if they dont stop hacking... which, they often wont listen... at first.

Then the host pulls his lan cable for 10-20 seconds, and the game is killed. The 'host migration' isnt possible since the existing host isnt even connected, so finding a new host to continue the game isnt even possible. Its been effective for us since once word gets out that hackers will just have their games pulled from under them (and their 'ha ha ha' attitude ends up with a large side dish of wasted time) if we are playing, they back out of lobbies we are in before the game even starts.

So being in a clan/group is still a good way to go. If we have enough people, we even figured out how to take over matches and then play with just ourselves... its easy. 6 people get into a group/lobby. As soon as then go to find a game, then the other 6 try to join the existing 6 via their steam friends. This way, you have 6v6... all friends. If we wanted, we start doing stuff like letting people get nukes or other achievements. Its not quite a dedicated server, but its pretty close. Sometimes, depending on the traffic and load on IWnet, the lobby finds other players faster than we can join our friends for a 6v6, but its actually pretty rare for us... either way, all we do is back out and try again.

Good analogy ---> Its as if someone told you, "Don't go outside tomorrow, someone will fuck you in the ass" and all over the news channels all you would see it "Tomorrow, STAY HOME, do not go outside for you will be fucked in the ass!" and you see that and say to your self...."Hey I gotta go to the store tomorrow for some tampons so I'm just gonna risk it because it might be worth it" Then tomorrow comes, and you put your shoes on, walk out side to your car, and half way across your lawn guess what happens...OMG YOU GOT F'd in the A!!! "I cannot believe this!" you exclaim, "Why did I get F'd in the A? Will someone make this stop?"

No, they will not make it stop, they will continue ramming you without lube through the duration of the day and you sir, asked for it. Enjoy MW2.

I got the game as a gift from my friend, for free. It's a fun game when no one's hacking. My question was just whether there are any measures in the works to counteract the hacking. Lay off.

I think there is a big difference between expecting a good game and expecting glitches to get resolved. You don't see much hacking in the 360 version but holy fuck the care package glitching is ridiculous. i mean they fixed the javelin stuff fairly quick, what the hell are they doing? its been like this for over two months now.

True, true... I have only run into that a couple times in the past though, and I tended to be a target for that sort of treatment in CoD4 in particular (something about that game just let me get 10:1 or better killstreaks all day long). 2 out of hundreds of servers isnt bad... not to mention, if that is how they are, did you really want to be playing with them in the first place?

OTOH, there is a sort of hacker justice in MW2. I play with a group, and more often than not, one of us is the host (9/10 times some other host quits in game, I end up hosting since Im near Chicago). Anyways, you just tell the hacker that you will kill the game if they dont stop it. The lack of anti-hacking interest in MW2 often means that the hackers will just say 'yeah, I am, so what?' if you accuse them... so they are alot bolder and its blatant in the game. So you can threaten them with killing the game if they dont stop hacking... which, they often wont listen... at first.

Then the host pulls his lan cable for 10-20 seconds, and the game is killed. The 'host migration' isnt possible since the existing host isnt even connected, so finding a new host to continue the game isnt even possible. Its been effective for us since once word gets out that hackers will just have their games pulled from under them (and their 'ha ha ha' attitude ends up with a large side dish of wasted time) if we are playing, they back out of lobbies we are in before the game even starts.

So being in a clan/group is still a good way to go. If we have enough people, we even figured out how to take over matches and then play with just ourselves... its easy. 6 people get into a group/lobby. As soon as then go to find a game, then the other 6 try to join the existing 6 via their steam friends. This way, you have 6v6... all friends. If we wanted, we start doing stuff like letting people get nukes or other achievements. Its not quite a dedicated server, but its pretty close. Sometimes, depending on the traffic and load on IWnet, the lobby finds other players faster than we can join our friends for a 6v6, but its actually pretty rare for us... either way, all we do is back out and try again.

Wow, I want to play with you guys. :D

I think what pisses me off is there are certain spots on some maps where if you get positioned just right you almost never die and can kill anyone trying to get by you.
so you play a map and have a score of 20 20 or some such and then get on one of these maps and end up with 40 kills and 10 deaths or some such you are a hack.
But I see people on high scores with 75 5 and no one says anything ....but most likely an aimbot.
then the ones on big maps head shooting and you see the pistol icon on the weapon....aimbot
and the ones that throw smoke and then snipe you while running, smoke and head shots with sniper rifle and thru smoke and a wall....aimbot

Or when you spec the replay of your death, and a fully-automatic gun is re-aiming after every full-auto shot. It ends up looking kind of "jerky." That's a dead giveaway.

Any one who bought the game deserves this. There were warnings that this was going to happen all over the place. Come on, VAC? We all know it's useless. The only thing that keeps CSS even semi playable are the dedicated servers.

We all had a chance to let IW know that we were not ok with what they were doing. But you guys all went out a bought the game. They didn't care about you before game launch, now they really don't care about you. What are you going to do if they don't fix it? not buy the game? Too late.

STOP THE CHEATING, STOP THE HACKING!!!!! CRY!!!!!

You don't like cheating..... GO UNINSTALL EVERY MP GAME YOU HAVE INSTALLED

Name me a single game that someone or another doesn't hack apart and cheat in???? 1 game I dare you

CS/CSS is how old???? I played it from day one... hackers/cheaters with or without VAC will... hack/cheat

MW2 is no different...

To think that BC2 is going to be cheat/hack free.... IS JUST A JOKE... there will be cheaters in every game; BC2 is just the next game for the hackers to hack apart

So again... start crying... keep crying... and never stop... because hacking will never stop... OR START UNINSTALLING ;)

PS hacking / cheating sucks, and I don't understand what is fun or funny about it?

i agree with your general point - cheating/hacking exists in all MP games. however i hardly think the OP was crying about it. he's just commenting on how prevalent it is in MW2 and wondering if it will get any better.

You don't like cheating..... GO UNINSTALL EVERY MP GAME YOU HAVE INSTALLED

Name me a single game that someone or another doesn't hack apart and cheat in???? 1 game I dare you

CS/CSS is how old???? I played it from day one... hackers/cheaters with or without VAC will... hack/cheat

MW2 is no different...

To think that BC2 is going to be cheat/hack free.... IS JUST A JOKE... there will be cheaters in every game; BC2 is just the next game for the hackers to hack apart

So again... start crying... keep crying... and never stop... because hacking will never stop... OR START UNINSTALLING ;)

PS hacking / cheating sucks, and I don't understand what is fun or funny about it?

Woah....anger issues. Take your meds and read the thread, dude. You clearly have never played MW2. MW2 is not like every other MP game. It has no dedicated servers, and absolutely no anti-cheat software attached. There are no measures, as it stands now, for weeding out the hackers.

Every game you mentioned has anti-cheat. Yes, some people can circumvent it, but the threat of losing your entire steam account if caught by VAC, or of losing your BF account if caught by punkbuster (which does work quite well) tends to stop a lot of people from doing it in the first place. This thread is an inquiry as to whether some form of anti cheat patch, something, will be implemented into MW2. Every game can be hacked, but if there are proactive developers banning accounts, it tends to die down to a tolerable level.

Woah....anger issues. Take your meds and read the thread, dude. You clearly have never played MW2. MW2 is not like every other MP game. It has no dedicated servers, and absolutely no anti-cheat software attached. There are no measures, as it stands now, for weeding out the hackers.

Every game you mentioned has anti-cheat. Yes, some people can circumvent it, but the threat of losing your entire steam account if caught by VAC, or of losing your BF account if caught by punkbuster (which does work quite well) tends to stop a lot of people from doing it in the first place. This thread is an inquiry as to whether some form of anti cheat patch, something, will be implemented into MW2. Every game can be hacked, but if there are proactive developers banning accounts, it tends to die down to a tolerable level.

I play MW2 daily... I also am tired of people saying there is hackers in every server...(threads like these)

I played hours on hours of MW2 last week.... ran into maybe 1 or 2 hackers, maybe I just don't go looking for hackers enough :rolleyes:

Same could be said about CSS, which has been out a lot lot lot longer and still has hacker issues.

Over time any game will get better... people just want everything now now now!!!!

I hear where you guys are coming from when you talk about hackers, but the point really isn't so much the hackers, it's just the fact that Infinity Ward said that IWnet existed to eliminate the "modders, the tuners, the hackers"

when in fact it's ineffective at keeping out the hackers, letting them run rampant because there's no dedicated servers with admins to kick them.

This is the best analogy I have ever read. Makes me happy I didn't buy MW2 :p

I never bought MW2 either. I got it as a gift. That doesn't mean it's not fun to play, when it actually works.

Any one who bought the game deserves this. There were warnings that this was going to happen all over the place. Come on, VAC? We all know it's useless. The only thing that keeps CSS even semi playable are the dedicated servers.

We all had a chance to let IW know that we were not ok with what they were doing. But you guys all went out a bought the game. They didn't care about you before game launch, now they really don't care about you. What are you going to do if they don't fix it? not buy the game? Too late.

Your entire stance is drama craptastic.

In no way is this the consumers fault!

just imagine cheaters as another challenging factor in the game.

I think the sad thing is, and I've said this before, that this could be pretty much be fixed using a web-of-trust system. That is, a way for the gamers (and ONLY gamers) themselves to enforce will-play/won't-play based on a solid trust metric. Any system that relies on external enforcement will fail.

I'm at a loss why it hasn't been done already. I 100% expected Valve to do it for Steam a long time ago. It's not a panacea, but it's the only way forward.

Preferably, the major gaming networks; PSN, XBL and Steam, should work together on building an open back-end architecture based on WoT, and get this thing sorted once and for all. But now I'm off in lala-land where competitors come together to solve an industry wide problem for the benefit of everyone. Except cheaters.

I think the sad thing is, and I've said this before, that this could be pretty much be fixed using a web-of-trust system. That is, a way for the gamers (and ONLY gamers) themselves to enforce will-play/won't-play based on a solid trust metric. Any system that relies on external enforcement will fail.

I'm at a loss why it hasn't been done already. I 100% expected Valve to do it for Steam a long time ago. It's not a panacea, but it's the only way forward.

Preferably, the major gaming networks; PSN, XBL and Steam, should work together on building an open back-end architecture based on WoT, and get this thing sorted once and for all. But now I'm off in lala-land where competitors come together to solve an industry wide problem for the benefit of everyone. Except cheaters.

It is silly isn't it? I too thought of this idea. Web forums have had "karma" systems for years. Why can't multiplayer communities?

In no way is this the consumers fault!

That is extremely debatable, given that a lot of these points (i.e. lack of dedicated servers) were brought up before launch and highly publicized.

A simpler solution is just to have dedicated servers. I don't think mob rule is the way to go with deciding who plays and who doesn't, unless of course the WoT is only for your own benefit and doesn't push people off servers.

What a joke IW game matcher service is, espicially for the PC.

It did nothing to stop cheating, although it did make it harder for Admins to catch/ban cheaters. It reduced the number of players in matches because apparently the game match service couldnt handle more than 18 players. It totally killed the modding community, and the performance of finding a game a mindboggling bad. I am constantly searching for games or kicked out of lobbies without reason it can often take 2-3 minutes of waiting each round before the game actually starts.

Its not a bad game in and of itself, but its clear that compared to MW1 the PC version was gutted so that it could accomadate the consoles. MW2 will be the last purchase of the series for me unless there is a major change for the next installment.

What a joke IW game matcher service is, espicially for the PC.

It did nothing to stop cheating, although it did make it harder for Admins to catch/ban cheaters. It reduced the number of players in matches because apparently the game match service couldnt handle more than 18 players. It totally killed the modding community, and the performance of finding a game a mindboggling bad. I am constantly searching for games or kicked out of lobbies without reason it can often take 2-3 minutes of waiting each round before the game actually starts.

Its not a bad game in and of itself, but its clear that compared to MW1 the PC version was gutted so that it could accomadate the consoles. MW2 will be the last purchase of the series for me unless there is a major change for the next installment.

I've enjoyed the game very much, however after 130 hours I've had enough of the issues with IWNet. Sick and tired of waiting in lobbies, unable to select map, unable to kick mic spammers, failed to migrate host, unable to connect to games due to different version of patch.mp.ff, lobby closed without reason, spurious banks of players leaving lobby. IWNet started off fairly well but these days it's hard to even get a game without frustration, my patience has worn out.

Last edited:
what would dedicated servers change on hackers?
I do understand that you can kick and ban someone from your server but it won't change them using hacks.

And a LOT of people that were just good players (not me) were banned in bf2 because they killed an op too many times and pissed them off. So to kill the God of the game well you have to be a hack.

then they started that server BS where if they ban someone from their server it is reported to the main server and all of the servers banned you NOT because of PB and you were caught cheating
but because some asshole banned you on their site all sites banned you.
So you had to try and find a server that was not a member of the group of servers.
That is truly bs

what would dedicated servers change on hackers?
I do understand that you can kick and ban someone from your server but it won't change them using hacks.

And a LOT of people that were just good players (not me) were banned in bf2 because they killed an op too many times and pissed them off. So to kill the God of the game well you have to be a hack.

then they started that server BS where if they ban someone from their server it is reported to the main server and all of the servers banned you NOT because of PB and you were caught cheating
but because some asshole banned you on their site all sites banned you.
So you had to try and find a server that was not a member of the group of servers.
That is truly bs

Its also the way game communities work if you don't like a certain game community because of there asshole admins, just find another one there are plenty of them. There is bad and good with dedicated servers, but the good far outweigh the bad. MW2...QED.

Infinity Ward has so much egg on its face over the hacking in its hack-proof "IWNet" that it is far too stunned to do anything about it.

The absolute lack of support from IW is pathetic.

is all the hacking on the pc version or do the consoles have hacks as well?

Every one has aim assist, so ya, everyone cheats. Plus id say a bunch of people mod their controllers to emulate the mousewheel up/down shooting for pistols (they tried to fix it for COD4 on consoles.

yeah, Consoles have the issues as well.

Every one has aim assist, so ya, everyone cheats. Plus id say a bunch of people mod their controllers to emulate the mousewheel up/down shooting for pistols (they tried to fix it for COD4 on consoles.

The aim assist argument is lame and tired, and I have no idea what youi're talking about on the second part

My favorite part of all the boldfaced out and out cheating that goes on, is back when the game was launched, I was one of the more vocal detractors of their decision to lock out party chat to certain game types. People bitched and whined and said 'oh but the cheaters use party chat to win boo hoo hoo'

Funny, looks like the cheaters used everything else under the sun rather than voice chat.

It's not been so much about being F'd in the A for playing the game, it's been more that you're not sure what size dick will be doing the f'ing on any given day and up until this latest patch on consoles, it's been roughly the size of a donkey's.

Infinity Ward has so much egg on its face over the hacking in its hack-proof "IWNet" that it is far too stunned to do anything about it.

The absolute lack of support from IW is pathetic.

Stunned? More like on vacation on a nice sunny beach somewhere. Do you honestly think anyone is down at IW thinking "Oh geeze, look at what I've done to the community, I feel terrible!"

They have your money, why should they fix the game? You'll be playing MW3 when it comes out anyway. (Not necessarily you, the person I'm replying to, but you, any one of the 5 million plus people who ignored the concerns over IWNet)

Seeing how fucked everything MW2 is makes me feel so good. We warned you, didn't we? We warned you up and down, and all we got was "You PC gamers are just bitching! You think you're entitled to everything!"

Hah. Enjoy the game boys.

they 2 busy counting the $ to fix this stuff :), haven't touched MW2 since BF BC2 beta and don't think i will. Might replay the co-op missions at some stage though.

5 millions plus console gamers ignoring IWnet concerns. Not pc gamers.

and I've got about 3 days logged in and still haven't ran into any obvious cheating. I play HQ/TDM/Dom/Ground War.

oh I was in a glitched lobby (tdm rust) once and I exited before it started.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Stunned? More like on vacation on a nice sunny beach somewhere. Do you honestly think anyone is down at IW thinking "Oh geeze, look at what I've done to the community, I feel terrible!"

They have your money, why should they fix the game? You'll be playing MW3 when it comes out anyway. (Not necessarily you, the person I'm replying to, but you, any one of the 5 million plus people who ignored the concerns over IWNet)

Seeing how fucked everything MW2 is makes me feel so good. We warned you, didn't we? We warned you up and down, and all we got was "You PC gamers are just bitching! You think you're entitled to everything!"

Hah. Enjoy the game boys.

I wasn't confident enough to buy this game at all on any platform...but there is still no excuse for IW to ignore all the issues after trying so hard to sell IWNet to everyone before release.

I didn't intend on buying the game at all unless it was some super steam sale for like $10 bucks but someone gifted it to me. All I can say this game has more issues than it's worth, as far as the multiplayer goes. The abundant cheating, lag and having to spin 360 degrees every few seconds because 3 enemies just spawned behind you is nauseating. But don't worry, once you respawn, you'll spawn right in front of some, too. Maybe I'm just unlucky but that's what happens about 50% + of the time.

I loved the singleplayer experiencing but multiplayer has left a lot to be desired.

So how do you tell if you end up being the host? I have the PC version. It's not like the old days of serving/playing, you hold tab and you see some guy with 0ms ping :D

So how do you tell if you end up being the host? I have the PC version. It's not like the old days of serving/playing, you hold tab and you see some guy with 0ms ping :D

well kind of (still works the same, no "ping" in numbers, but ping in bars)... you watch the bars and the guy with full bars that never moves is the host... But I am sure you can watch and half the people have bars that don't move, because of strong host and those players on a good connection

there will always be hackers. It is always a game of 1 up between the game devs and the hack devs. They can't 100% solve it.

Back