Any help would be greatly appreciated. Restart taking for ever!

JonaCahill

n00b
I just installed a fresh copy of windows 8, updated to 8.1 two days ago. All drivers are up to date. Windows is fully updated. I've tried this multiple times in the last few months.

When I restart my computer it goes to the restarting screen of windows with the little loading circle like normal. Then my monitor goes blank like it had shut down/restarted. The problem is at this point my computer just keeps running for over 2-3 minutes before it actually reboots the system where you hear everything stop for a second and restart. Sometimes it will do this on shutdown as well " Not Always" where after the screen goes blank everything in the computer will continue to run for a good bit of time before lights and fans turn off. 1-10 minutes.

I've contacted dell and let them rummage through everything on remote access for hours. Then they try to tell me that its fine and supposed to do that, no matter how much I argue the point. When I bought it, it only took a few seconds to do a complete restart of the system.

This began about a month after buying the computer new.
I upgraded the GPU and PSU shortly after buying the computer. I've switched back to running stock to see if it may have been the problem but the problem remains.

The only thing I've downloaded was Chrome, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Steam, and Skyrim since fresh install of windows.

Computer is Stock atm.
Dell XPS 8700
Mother board - Dell Inc. 0KWVT8
CPU - Intel I7-4770
PSU - Stock - Was using Corsair CX750M
GPU - Geforce 740M - Was using ASUS DCU II OC Geforce GTX 770
RAM - x2 4,096 MB Samsung DDR3 @ 800 MHz
HD - 1,000 GB ST1000DM003-1CH162

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check your wifi drivers and see if they are microsoft or from the manufacturer(if you have wifi obviously)
then
If your using windows 8.1 pro, remove the hyper-v feature from windows services (I ended up just reinstalling windows from scratch and updating windows 8.1 then re-enabling the hypervisor)
there was one other thing i did if i think of it ill update this

Was running drivers from manufacturer. Uninstalled them and tried windows. Then back again. I'm not running pro, so no hyper-v features, right?. Disabled Hiberfil.sys, and still no luck.

Note: The following event ids are observed from a Windows 7 machine, not 8. Hopefully the event log entries that I'm referring to haven't changed, but yymv.

So, when a user initiates a shutdown the System log records the following event, Source: USER32, Event# 1074.

Between this event and the event Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General, Event #13, there are entries from everything system-wise (generally services) as they are shut down. If you're lucky, you might find what you're looking for from just the System log that is holding up the shutdown.

In order to find what is holding up the shutdown is that you won't find an entry saying "This service took 326 seconds to shutdown". Won't be that easy. Instead you are going to have to look at the timestamps between the time you initiated the shutdown and the timestamp for when the service/whathaveyou recorded that it shutdown. Note that you're going to want to look for the largest gaps of time between two entries, as the latter entry generally indicates what the computer was working/waiting on before shutting down. If there are 20 other events all within several seconds after an event that had a 100 second gap, then those other 20 events are probably not the cause - they were simply waiting for the entry that took 100 seconds to shutdown before they could go.

You do not want to create a filter to find this event, as it won't show you anything else. Instead use "Find..." from the action pane or CTRL-F shortcut and search for USER32. You might hit some false-positives before finding event # 1074 described above.

If you're unlucky and what is holding up the shutdown isn't recorded in the System log, you will need to combine both the Application log and the System log. The easiest way is to create a new Custom view in Event Viewer. This can be done by right-clicking "Custom Views" in the tree pane and selecting Create Custom View. Then in the new dialog box, click on the down arrow to the right of Event Logs, expand Windows Logs and place checks next to Application and System and click OK. Give the view a name and then click OK again. Rinse and repeat.

Back