• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Any help with i7 920 OC?

Ghost02

n00b
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
6
Hi,
I'm new to OC'ing but gave it a go with my Asus P6t and i7 920.
I didn't spend much time tuning and haven't checked how low I can push the volts or how high I could push the base (I decided to stop when I got to 4Ghz0

I got 191x21(turbo on)= 4.011Ghz
CPU v = 1.225v
Qpi = 1.26875v

I just checked online for safe voltages, no reason for choosing the .i.e I didn't bring it down to see how long it would stay stable. I don't have a special hsf yet so still running stock.

Can anyone tell me if this is good or bad and any further advice would be appreciated (safety recommendations etc.).

Thanks in advance
 
First of all, if you're planning on overclocking to 4GHz, I strongly suggest getting a good heatsink.

Are you using a D0 i7 920? That Vcore seems pretty good for 4GHz. Also, you can push QPI to 1.35v but there's no need if its stable at that voltage.

Main question: is it stable? Have you tested stability using programs such as LinPack, IBT, or Prime95?
 
Cpu gets very hot at all auto, so I didn't run prime95 for very long at 4Ghz even on all auto at stock frequency its hot. Not using to D0 i7. I think if I get a better cooler it would be fine with prime95, maybe up the voltage to 1.25v, but first I need better cooling because at auto volts with ht on at stock with prime temps reach 80. Lowering voltages and a slight OC gives better temps.
 
Can you recommend a good one that has good value for money. Some people think because you have a i7 chip it means you flouting in money but thats not my case :) Any good lower cost coolers out there?
 
Hi,
I'm new to OC'ing but gave it a go with my Asus P6t and i7 920.
I didn't spend much time tuning and haven't checked how low I can push the volts or how high I could push the base (I decided to stop when I got to 4Ghz0

I got 191x21(turbo on)= 4.011Ghz
CPU v = 1.225v
Qpi = 1.26875v

I just checked online for safe voltages, no reason for choosing the .i.e I didn't bring it down to see how long it would stay stable. I don't have a special hsf yet so still running stock.

Can anyone tell me if this is good or bad and any further advice would be appreciated (safety recommendations etc.).

Thanks in advance

Darn .. that's pretty good result (if not D0) .. It seems heat is real issue for everyone. If you use air cooling, then 80C is not that bad at all.
 
Can you recommend a good one that has good value for money. Some people think because you have a i7 chip it means you flouting in money but thats not my case :) Any good lower cost coolers out there?

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V - $40

Best "bang-for-the-buck" cooler.
 
Back
Top