Any good free defragmenting software? Not the windows one please

magnusvir

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys

I just noticed that my rig is starting to slow down a bit at certain places, like open up programs and stuff. I know it is not memory as i have 1 gig of RAM and some slowdown occurs on opening up word. I think the drive needs defragmenting and I was just wondering if there is a free defragmenter that is better than the crappy windows one. Thanks in advance

I use Diskeeper which is essentially what the Windows one is built on, but the vendor's release is far superior. It's not free, but well worth the cost.

vote #2 for diskeeper. works wonders. best part: set it and forget it, defrag on schedule.

diskeeper is the best free one but the windows one is basically a light version of diskeeper. I have O&O and it works great but it also costs money.

A little offtopic, but to help prevent fragmenting, set your all your system and web temp folders, plus your pagefile, onto a seperate partition.

KoolDrew said:
diskeeper is the best free one but the windows one is basically a light version of diskeeper. I have O&O and it works great but it also costs money.
scuse me? since when is the full diskeeper free?:eek:
The one built into windows(2k, 9x) is nothing like a 'light diskeeper' its crap compared to diskeeper...
what on earth is O&O? that could be almolst anything...(oh, viewed linked thread...)

I use the built-in Windows defrag (essentially Diskeeper Lite, which is free IIRC) but I defrag in Safe Mode.

Back