Any good 19-21" CRTs left?

Glad I could be of help, even if in an indirect manner. ;) That's odd though, you'd think the first input would have the highest quality if anything.

I'm going to e-mail them and ask what's going on with the P1130. That site (shop.com) still says that they have them in stock at AccurateIT, which is weird. If they don't have the P1130 I'm just going to let the order go through.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get a decent picture with an adapter though, SH1. Did you ever get a chance to compare it to a real VGA connection?

I didn't realize earlier that the P992 has a variable pitch, 24mm-.25mm, screen. Is the P1130 a constant 0.24 across the whole screen?

Interesting. Apparently the Sony G420/G410R have a variable .24mm-.25mm pitch as well, which would make sense considering what the P992 really is. The G520 does not, however. It seems as if it has a constant .24mm, from doing a quick Google, so it would stand to reason that the P1130 is as well.

Tosan: I got a Sony GDM FW900 I'm trying to sell.

Thanks, but I think I'm set now. I doubt it'd fit on my desk anyhow, heh.

No chance to do a side by side comparison, VGA vs DVI-I + adapter. However, I'd say, if anything, the text looks better now actually. But that must be due to the card upgrade...

I have a VGA to 5 BNC breakout cable I really like from BetterCables and I was thinking about whether I could have it modified from VGA to DVI-I. However, once I saw the great result with the second adapter, I didn't bother...

(Again though, you'd want to experiment and see what you think...)

One other monitor you might look for is the IBM P275 21" CRT.

I've got one that has served me well for two years, just went WIDE screen with a Westinghouse LVM-37w3. It runs 1600x1200@75hz clearly.

Downside is it weighs more than the 37" LCD that replaced it. :(

Heh, figures that'd turn up right after my order ships. Where did you find that? I looked all over for new ones before ordering and didn't turn up anything. :(

AccurateIT's page for the P992 says it's a "fresh model" -- does that mean it's relatively new? Not sure if it's just marketing speak or what as I've never seen it before on a refurbished item, but the other CRTs they're selling don't have that in the name.

Heh, figures that'd turn up right after my order ships. Where did you find that? I looked all over for new ones before ordering and didn't turn up anything. :(

AccurateIT's page for the P992 says it's a "fresh model" -- does that mean it's relatively new? Not sure if it's just marketing speak or what as I've never seen it before on a refurbished item, but the other CRTs they're selling don't have that in the name.
"Fresh off lease", don't know if accurateit refurbished them afterwards though.

Buyer's remorse sucks....BUT if you are familiar with the monitor, and know that you'll love it, i say buy that new one as well. You could always run dual-monitors, or keep a back-up(s) as i do. Besides, good crt's are so cheap nowadays, there's just that element of risk involved with used ones. Personally I'm looking to leapfrog over the current batch of LCD's and monitors, and waiting to see what'll debut 2 or 3 years from now.

Or you could keep a close eye on your local craigslist for a killer deal on a backup monitor. Best thing about craiglist is that you get to demo the monitor before you buy, sometimes even with your own computer :cool:

One other monitor you might look for is the IBM P275 21" CRT.
Pretty sure it's another G520 rebadge, and the P275 has/had a lot of great user-reviews.

Yeah, it said it was a grade A refurb on the page. No clue how long that lease might've been, but we'll see how it goes. I should get it tomorrow.

Getting two is a good thought, and I may end up doing that anyhow. I always swore that if I'd known LCDs would have pretty much entirely replaced CRTs by 2007, that I'd have bought four of my old Sony monitors. :) The cost of two is only a fraction of what I would have paid if I'd kept that 20WMGX2, anyhow.

Buyer's remorse sucks....

Indeed it does. I've had plenty of that in the past month or so dealing with this. It seems to be incredibly hard to find a good monitor, even among the higher end CRTs.

I also think dual monitors is a great way to go if you've got the desk for it.

Well, I just got the P992 today, and overall I think I'm pretty pleased with it.

It is a tad blurry at 1280x960 or 1400x1050 at the highest refresh rates, but the picture is still far clearer than my old CRT's had become. It does unfortunately only handle 107 KHz max, which may be contributing to the blurriness somewhat.

It's also buzzing slightly when displaying white, but that's apparently normal? I only really noticed it on my old CRT after getting some quieter case fans, so it could've easily been doing that as long as I'd had it.

Games however, are great on this compared to even the horrifyingly overpriced 20WMGX2, as I expected.

I still may order the completely new one, or at least wait a while and see if I can find another new G420 or G520 knock-off being sold, and just keep this as a backup. If I had dual monitors, I'd probably want the second one to be an LCD for desktop work and viewing text. A new 19" with 110 KHz or higher would be great, though the Iiyama 454 was the only 19" made to my knowledge that had a higher horizontal frequency than that.

Anyhow, I can't thank you guys enough for your help. I don't know what I would have done if I'd been stuck with an LCD for the next few years or so. :)

edit: Oh, also -- is the image restoration option in the main OSD for the P1130? I can't find it here, not sure if the 992 just doesn't have it or what. I don't need it now and probably won't for a while, but it would be nice to have.

Glad to hear it got there safely. :)

With CRTs disappearing, getting a second new one (P992 or P1130), might still be a good idea. It's really hard to know how much use a refurbished unit has been subjected to before you got it...

Not sure what to say about the buzz. Might try different resolutions and refresh rates and see if it changes...

I'm not sure what's going on with the buzz either. It's quite loud if you're close to the back of the CRT, and it's loud enough to hear even sitting in front of it -- particularly when the pitch or volume of it changes as different colors appear on the screen. I really don't think it's much quieter than my old CRT was now. Maybe it's just normal, I don't know. Changing the resolution or refresh rate doesn't seem to do much. Sometimes it will make it sound slightly different, but that's about it.

There's also a small purplish haze in the upper right hand corner of the screen. My first thought was that it needed to be degaussed, but that does nothing. Oddly enough, it goes away after the monitor has been on for over an hour, but comes right back if it's turned on after being off for a while.

I think this thing is fairly old. Holding down the menu button for 8 seconds shows the date it was manufactured, and mine says week 46 of 2002. That doesn't tell me how much (ab)use it's been subjected to of course, but it's definitely been around for a while.

I'm probably going to give ordering the new one a shot. That site seems a bit small and they only accept PayPal for online orders (which makes me nervous), but if I can be sure I'll get my money back if they stiff me I'll do it. Thanks again for your help, guys.

Yeah, I've pretty much settled on giving the P1130 a shot. I've always got this to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

I was going to order it from AccurateIT (the new one on that shop.com link I copied earlier, I still don't know why it's not on their main site), but I've asked them twice about it now to make sure that it actually is new and in stock and gotten no response. I don't know if something's wrong with the contact form on their site or what, but that seems strange to me given their generally good reputation and how promptly they shipped my other order.

Not sure what I'm going to do. I guess I'll look at it tomorrow, but I might have to give the auction a shot if they aren't interested in my business. I'd really rather order it from an established store with a decent reputation, but not if I'm not sure what/if I'll be getting anything.

Just throwing in my experience here with my Mitsubishi 2070SB-BK (BK = black). This is the exact same model as the NEC FP2141SB-BK (or exact same tube, I should say).

The main thing I liked about this was its superbright modes. I could turn superbright on to "picture" or "video" mode, which just meant brighter and then brightest, pretty much. I loved gaming on video mode because everything was just brighter and more vivid in games and it helped in dark levels.

I used it for graphic design and gaming. I've used it for about 4 years now and I just got an LG L245WP-BN to replace it.

I used it at 1280x1024 @ 85Hz for its lifetime. I found that to be the best resolution and refresh rate. I don't like anything less than 75Hz on a monitor so it was smooth for me (my eyes tend to pickup flicker even at the desktop at anything along the 60-70Hz line).

I do know that like most monitors, if you ran this CRT at 1280x1024 @ 100Hz or higher, then the text wasn't as sharp as at 85Hz.

Once again - I'd go with this monitor again simply because of the superbright modes that I could easily flip to when entering a game, or when I wanted to view a design brighter to reveal any errors or things I may not have seen.

Just throwing in my experience here with my Mitsubishi 2070SB-BK (BK = black). This is the exact same model as the NEC FP2141SB-BK (or exact same tube, I should say).

The main thing I liked about this was its superbright modes. I could turn superbright on to "picture" or "video" mode, which just meant brighter and then brightest, pretty much. I loved gaming on video mode because everything was just brighter and more vivid in games and it helped in dark levels.

I used it at 1280x1024 @ 85Hz for its lifetime. I found that to be the best resolution and refresh rate. I don't like anything less than 75Hz on a monitor so it was smooth for me (my eyes tend to pickup flicker even at the desktop at anything along the 60-70Hz line).

I do know that like most monitors, if you ran this CRT at 1280x1024 @ 100Hz or higher, then the text wasn't as sharp as at 85Hz.
Ya, the superbright feature comes in pretty handy. Trinitrons do have monitor profiles though, it's not as convenient but much better than starting from scratch. I too agree that a CRT often has better text @ 75-85hz with 85hz being a decent compromise of sharp text, fluid gaming and flicker-free (imho). Not to mention your monitor would last longer when it isn't pushed as hard.

Going by the OP's past experience with CRT's i'd say that he would probably prefer a higher-end trinitron tube, he has plenty of experience with them and there are still brand new trinitrons floating around. There don't seem to be many NEW higher-end Diamondtrons for whatever reason (there are some mid-grade ones though). Unfortunately used CRT monitors are pot-luck unless it has low hours, or unless you can demo it in person (craigslist).

Yeah, I've pretty much settled on giving the P1130 a shot. I've always got this to fall back on if it doesn't work out.

I was going to order it from AccurateIT (the new one on that shop.com link I copied earlier, I still don't know why it's not on their main site), but I've asked them twice about it now to make sure that it actually is new and in stock and gotten no response. I don't know if something's wrong with the contact form on their site or what, but that seems strange to me given their generally good reputation and how promptly they shipped my other order.

Not sure what I'm going to do. I guess I'll look at it tomorrow, but I might have to give the auction a shot if they aren't interested in my business. I'd really rather order it from an established store with a decent reputation, but not if I'm not sure what/if I'll be getting anything.

I'm thinking that shop.com link is some kind of internet fossil.

You can call AccurateIT, but I'm guessing they're just out of that kind of stock at this point...

I'm thinking that shop.com link is some kind of internet fossil....
That was my initial hunch as well. Been frustrated by some of those fossils a couple of times. Will agree that calling them directly would be the best idea, and since AccurateIT updates regularly they "probably" don't have anymore in stock.

Only one way to find out though :)

Okay, I think I'm going to give ordering the P1130 a shot from eBay tonight. I hope I'm not making a bad decision here as I'm definitely going to run it at a minimum of 100Hz, and 1600x1200 at 100Hz is very close to the maximum horizontal scan on that monitor (127.2 KHz). Then again, I am running my P992 pretty close to the maximum as well at 101.7 KHz with 107 max, though that still leaves more headroom than this.

Is there some way to calculate the exact pixel density given the dot pitch of the CRT and the current resolution? I'm wondering if a custom resolution like 1536x1152 might actually be around the same density/sharpness as 1280x960 on a 19" CRT, even if you were to be generous and assume the 19" CRT had a constant .24mm pitch like the G520/P1130 when it's really a variable .24-.25mm. If so, I might just do that instead as it'd probably yield a much clearer picture than 1600x1200 at high refresh rates.

Now that I'll have dual inputs, would the DVI/VGA cable that SJetski71 linked earlier in this thread be better than a standard VGA cable with a DVI adapter on it? I bought a pretty decent DVI adapter and the picture quality is better with it than the old one, but if this or something else would be even better I'll definitely get one. Cost isn't really an issue in this case (well, within reason of course) given how the little these CRTs cost now, so I don't really mind paying a little more to get the best cable possible.

Thanks guys!

^^^

Glad to see you going for it, I have a feeling that you'll be pleasantly surprised, especially after some tweaking. And it's a brand new high-end CRT so you ought to be headache-free for a long time. I'll tell you one thing, i've resisted mightily from picking up a new spare from that ebay merchant, and i'm still considering one, but i 'may' demo a used one off craigslist instead and save a few dollars.

Not 100% sure about your other question but as for that DVI~VGA cable...i'd say go for it. Small price to pay for peace of mind in knowing that you're getting the best image possible. Even if it doesn't bring any improvement at least you won't be left wondering. Edit: come to think of it, you can hook up both monitor inputs at the same time, one with the adapter, the other with the cable. This way you can compare the picture quality of both with little effort.

Next thing to save up for would be the Pantone Huey for some dynamic calibration on the fly ;)

Let us know how it works out, i'm curious to hear what you think after you've tested it for awhile.

I have still used mine a very small amount, still. I'm very satisfied with my purchase, I just haven't been able to justify purchasing a new desk until I have finished moving out of my current apartment. I got one of my friends to buy one and he's been using it for the past couple weeks. He continues to be extremely satisfied with the monitor.

We ran into one issue where neither XP nor our ATI cards would allow us to run 1400x1050 resolution at greater than 60Hz. We resolved this issue with the "PowerStrip" program. 1400x1050 does seem to be the optimal desktop resolution. I haven't tried anything between 1400x1050 and 1600x1200, but 1600x1200 definately results in a loss of sharpness.

I'd buy a second one to save for future use if I could afford it.

...Is there some way to calculate the exact pixel density given the dot pitch of the CRT and the current resolution...

Divide the width of the visible screen in millimeters by the dot pitch to get physical resolution (in aperature grill stripes). (And then probably subtract 15 to 20 percent of that number to allow for error between the gun and the phosphors.)

The result will probably be significantly less than 1600. However, what looks clear enough is very subjective...

Let us know how it works out, i'm curious to hear what you think after you've tested it for awhile.

Will do. I've ordered both it and the cable. Seems like the shipping is going to be a bit slow so it may not be here until the start of next month.

If I'm pleased with it, I'll definitely be giving that color calibrator a shot as well.

Divide the width of the visible screen in millimeters by the dot pitch to get physical resolution (in aperature grill stripes). (And then probably subtract 15 to 20 percent of that number to allow for error between the gun and the phosphors.)

Thanks. I'm getting about 1521 by doing that for a 17.97 inch viewable area and assuming a .24mm pitch (which is generous for the 19" CRT). I take it that's the horizontal resolution?

The P1130 comes out to around 1675. Sounds like 1536x1152 should be perfectly acceptable on that, and wouldn't be pushing the monitor quite as hard as 1600x1200. Might even be able to do 1400x1050 on that without it being too grainy compared to my previous monitors as Scyles said, and the 130KHz on the P1130 should yield fairly high refresh rates at that resolution.

Should this be changed to the 'Over 50' post :p
Maybe you should stick to the crt vs lcd thread you started? Because if you were interested in actual agreed-upon facts you would have researched the topic before posting, and there are thousands of threads on that tired topic ;). Apples to oranges. Now if you're interested in learning something, you're welcome to join the discussion.

If I'm pleased with it, I'll definitely be giving that color calibrator a shot as well..
Ya, me too, just reluctant to spend the extra cash atm with all these other projects laying around. I will eventually get it though...

Will do. I've ordered both it and the cable. Seems like the shipping is going to be a bit slow so it may not be here until the start of next month.

If I'm pleased with it, I'll definitely be giving that color calibrator a shot as well.

Thanks. I'm getting about 1521 by doing that for a 17.97 inch viewable area and assuming a .24mm pitch (which is generous for the 19" CRT). I take it that's the horizontal resolution?

The P1130 comes out to around 1675. Sounds like 1536x1152 should be perfectly acceptable on that, and wouldn't be pushing the monitor quite as hard as 1600x1200. Might even be able to do 1400x1050 on that without it being too grainy compared to my previous monitors as Scyles said, and the 130KHz on the P1130 should yield fairly high refresh rates at that resolution.

What is the screen width in millimeters? (Didn't see that spec for the 1130. Probably the manufacturer will give the width in millimeters and inches, with millimeters being the more accurate.)

I find 1024 vertical or more is enough for me, but it will certainly be a matter of your own aesthetics...

Sorry, I just noticed that you said width earlier. I did diagonal for some reason.

The width of the P1130 is 404mm, so that comes out to about 1430 if you subtract 15% from the original figure.

How does that work exactly? I take it that anything above 1430 isn't "useless" per se, but that you aren't getting a whole lot out of anything higher either?

edit: Oh, would this be a better cable than that one at Monoprice? (http://store.pchcables.com/3fodvmatovga.html)

It's only 3 feet long which should help a bit, and is slightly more expensive. The Monoprice cable is 6 feet long. Maybe I should go with this instead? I actually never got a chance to order the other one, and I just realized today that I hadn't done it, heh. I'll have to measure the distance between my current CRT and my computer later, but I think it'll be long enough.

Should this be changed to the 'Over 50' post :p

:rolleyes:

edit: Oh, would this be a better cable than that one at Monoprice? (http://store.pchcables.com/3fodvmatovga.html)

It's only 3 feet long which should help a bit, and is slightly more expensive. The Monoprice cable is 6 feet long. Maybe I should go with this instead? I actually never got a chance to order the other one, and I just realized today that I hadn't done it, heh. I'll have to measure the distance between my current CRT and my computer later, but I think it'll be long enough.
Hard to tell with that crappy pic they posted. I does mention dual-ferrites and the shorter length will def help with higher bandwidths, just not sure how well it's insulated...

Sorry, I just noticed that you said width earlier. I did diagonal for some reason.

The width of the P1130 is 404mm, so that comes out to about 1430 if you subtract 15% from the original figure.

How does that work exactly? I take it that anything above 1430 isn't "useless" per se, but that you aren't getting a whole lot out of anything higher either?...

It really just comes down to your personal preference at that point with regard to sharpness. With the 1430 example, you know you're allowing for some degree of error, which should yield a sharper picture than driving it at the physical max 1683 aperture stripe limit. You'd probably want to try several resolutions and see what looks best to you.

Any updates by any chance OP? I'm guessing you've received the P1130 and have already tested it :D, but denying the rest of us your feedback :p

By the way that DVI to VGA cable is back in stock at Monoprice, not sure if it's better insulated than that 3ft cable, and the shorter cable would have the bandwidth advantage, but i'm the type to try them both, when it's cheap enough anyways ;). Thinking about trying out this slick looking vga cable to see if there's any improvement. And here are some current good deals on the Pantone Huey and Spyder2 Express display calibration systems: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1197750

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nah, I just got it this morning. I've had jury duty all day though, so I didn't get a chance to try it until now. :(

Once I finish fighting with the nVidia drivers and actually get this to run at 1536x1152 at high enough refresh rates without the drivers hard locking my system, I should be good to go. It looks pretty good from my preliminary impressions so far.

It does seem to have a slight reddish tint though, and the convergence in the left corner is a bit off. It was on both of my old CRTs too though, but I don't really know what to expect from a new monitor. Is it possible that being in bulk storage for so long might've knocked the guns out of alignment a bit? The OSD says it was manufactured in 2002, so it's been around for a bit. Not a big deal though, if there is a problem it's very minor and I'm sure I can fix it after playing around with the OSD for a bit.

Thanks for the links to those color calibrators. If you had to pick one, which do you think you'd go with? Sounds like the Huey is slightly better, but as I've never used a color calibrator before I don't really have any idea how important good aftermarket support is for them.

By the way, do you guys happen to know of a better utility to force refresh rates than the nVidia control panel with coolbits enabled or RefreshForce? nVidia's refresh override stuff is a bit limited and seems to be BSODing my computer sometimes, and RefreshForce unfortunately hasn't worked for me for a few months now.

I had to use PowerStrip to force 1400x1050 at greater than 60Hz. RefreshForce didn't work, nor did ATI's override options.

Oftentimes the landing controls can be used to fix odd symptoms on crt's, even color issues on occasion, in addition to fiddling with the overall color temperature. Keep that it in mind while tweaking. Also, some people who are used to warmer color tempratures have been known to complain that they're whites almost have a reddish tinge to them when they finish calibrating, and it's just a matter of accustoming your eyes to it (may not be the issue you're having though).

You can probably tweak the convergance to the point where that corner isn't as noticeable, it may also be remedied by swapping to one of your other cables or trying the other monitor input, all of which are worth trying imho. Worst case scenario, and i sorta doubt it, but your package may have sustained a drop and jiggled things around inside, but once again i sorta doubt it since it would probably be in worse shape if true... Forgot to mention it before, but those who own crt monitors or televisions can freshen up the phosphurs, or fix some color abnormalities with a degaussing wand. A larger degausser is desirable for bigger displays since smaller degaussers take longer to work, here's a medium and smaller sized one. I have the smaller degausser and it def takes longer to work than some of the larger degaussers i've seen in action.

Still on the fence but personally i'm leaning towards the Huey but the Spyder2 def has better aftermarket support and different types of aftermarket software that brings even more accurate color and noticeable results. As long as the product works as advertised you don't really need aftermarket support per se but those who love to constantly tweak would probably buy the spyder2 (which i may end up doing).

And ya, Powerstrip is one powerful proggie, it def has a learning curve but it can take a display to it's limits. I've used it on and off for years and have never been disappointed.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, that did the trick.

I think this cable may not be particularly great. The VGA cable that came with the monitor with my adapter on the secondary input gives pretty much the same picture, perhaps even a little better. It doesn't seem quite as red as the other one, but the difference is small. Both cables show a shadow to the right of the mouse cursor, even at fairly low resolutions and refresh rates. I don't think the P992 was having this problem with the included cable. Maybe I should give the Monoprice one a shot? A 3 foot one would be nice, but it seems like most of the well insulated ones are 6 feet, and the 3 foot ones are just hard to find in general. This cable is awfully thin by the way, which might be the problem.

The red tint seems to be mostly confined to the upper left side of the monitor, but I can't tell what's causing it. Running the Nokia monitor test doesn't show any obvious convergence issues, but it's just very reddish there.

edit: Sorry, didn't notice you'd posted until I hit submit. I think it's probably not a matter of simply not being used to the colors -- it's set to the same 9300K as the P992 and wouldn't the red tint be pretty much uniform throughout the screen if that was the problem?

The problem is very clear when a mostly white Explorer window is open and you can see the white changing from white on the other areas of the monitor to a more reddish white near the upper left side. I hope this doesn't mean there's something wrong with the monitor? :(

^^^

Edit: more info added

I have a hunch that your red-corner issue is fully correctible, problem is finding the time and patience to try all the troubleshooting steps i listed. Come to think of it, an inferior or damaged cable can do funny things to a crt's colors (a kink or an oxidized pin etc etc etc), so maybe that's another thing you could try, but be sure to still try the landing controls and other steps i mentioned. You could also try degaussing, then waiting 60 seconds, wash rinse and repeat five or six times.

The slight shadowing is likely caused by your cable or adapter, but you could also try the monitor's other input if you haven't already. Trying another graphics driver wouldn't hurt either, hmm, have you downloaded and installed the P1130's .inf monitor driver yet? A crt monitor driver can sometimes make a visual difference, but sometimes an improvement isn't noticeable. Still have your old vga graphics card you mentioned earlier? I think you may want to install that before you pull your hair out.

9300k is a very warm and inaccurate color temperature btw, but it probably has nothing to do with that reddish corner as you've suspected since 9300k makes everything look more blue than it should.

Edit: Here's an adapter that claims to be built better than the rest, they have other products there also. Maybe try googling for a 3ft dvi to vga cable and see if there's anything interesting. But like i mentioned above, before you get carried away throwing money at a problem, see if you can install your old vga-equipped card to see if there's any improvement.

It's definitely not just the cable -- the other one's got a red tint too, it just seems very slightly less apparent.

I've tried different graphics drivers (had to when I reinstalled them earlier and grabbed the latest from nVidia's site), and I do have the Dell monitor .inf installed.

Do you have any tips for adjusting the landing? Neither the G420 or P992 have that option actually, so I'm unfamiliar with it. I played around with it a bit earlier, but I didn't see any obvious changes even after increasing or decreasing the values by a lot. Maybe there's some sort of test pattern I should be using?

I'd really like to fix this. This seems like an incredible screen, but this is a weird issue to be having with a new CRT. The geometry is also almost as terrible as it was on my refurbed P992, which is annoying too. I'm not sure what it is about these Dell monitors, but the geometry on both seem to be uncorrectably bad in certain areas. My G420 had nearly perfect geometry with a couple adjustments after six years, so I'm guessing Dell might cut some corners in this regard. :(

I can't find any other 3 foot DVI/VGA cables, so I might just order that one from Monoprice. Do you think that should be better overall than just a straight high quality VGA cable with a good adapter like the one you just linked? A video card with VGA ports would be great, but it doesn't seem like many cards higher end than the 6800 series actually have them anymore.

I don't think I can select anything other than 9300, 6500, or 5000K. I do notice the blueness a bit -- my G420 came preset at 10100K, but I got used to it after using the P992 at 9300 as well. I don't see any option to select 10100 on this monitor, but I doubt it'd make much of a difference anyhow.

Going to wing it since my P1130 is temporarily decommisioned for the next week or so, hopefully others can chime in with more specifics.

First off for troubleshooting purposes you'll probably want to try 6500k since that is a more accurate color temperature, probably not necessary though since your eyes are adjusted to 9300k. Second you'll probably want to degauss it a good dozen times a day since it's been sitting around for awhile and the earths magnetism probably has it totally out of whack, degauss every hour or so, but start off by doing it about 3 or 4 times over 3 or 4 minutes. Funny thing is a degauss is recommended every time you shift or move your crt. I have a hunch this is what the problem is related to, i could be wrong though.

The landing can be adjusted manually in every direction, be sure to write down the original values though. And you can also "restore" the landing to see if that makes any difference. Be sure to look for any and every "restore" setting and restore every single one of them. You'll have to follow up with a few minor corrections once you're finished doing that though.

Not sure on whether you should go with a cable, or an adapter at this point. It seems like many of the adapters are cruddy, and none of those dvi/vga cables seem very thick and insulated like regular vga cables. That adapter i linked is inexpensive though, so is that monoprice cable. I know it's a pain but i'd def try to hook up an old vga graphics card before spending any more money (if you still have one, need to borrow one maybe?), and slap on a nice thick vga cable along with it.

Going to think of more stuff and i'll post other troubleshooting steps as i think of them, but be sure to try out all the steps i posted in my other posts, as many as you can practically can that is.

Good luck and keep us posted, keep an eye out for my PM in a few minutes.

PS: The monitors aren't made by Dell btw, but in some oem factory that made trinitrons for other companies, probably made them for sony, compaq, HP and others.

I have a 19" NEC MultiSync FE991SB SuperBrgiht Diamondtron CRT. It's pretty good.

You should be able to find some test patterns via Google and such. The Nokia software for example...

I put up an all red screen, adjust the landing control to match, than an all blue one, adjust the landing control to match, and back and forth, until I get the best match, for the corner in question...

Normally, a discoloration in the corner is just a landing control out of adjustment...

(Can also be caused by a nearby magnetic source...)

And turn it off by the main switch for a few days, so the degausser fires upon monitor start up...(Regular shutdown by computer won't activate the degaussing circuit, if it's like mine...)

As for geometry -- out of the box it's often bad, but you should be able to sort it out with persistence.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've been degaussing it a lot, and I've left it off for about 24 hours. Still no change, though. The top left corner and parts of the bottom left area are still very red compared to the rest of the screen.

I've tried adjusting the landing too against a solid color screen, and I'm either blind or it's not making any difference. Even setting the top left landing to 1 or 100 produces no visible change.

I'll keep trying, but assuming nothing works, I guess I should try contacting the Ebay store and see if they're willing to send a replacement. I don't know how cooperative they'll be, though.

Back