Any FLAC Player that does this...

octoberasian

2[H]4U
I love listening to music encoded in FLAC, and the player I currently use for FLAC is Foobar.

However, I like this little functionality of iTunes where I can check and uncheck tracks that I want to listen to in a playlist. But, iTunes doesn't playback FLAC files. It seems iTunes is the only one that has that functionality. Songbird, Winamp, Foobar, VLC, and MPC don't. The only one of two alternatives are:
1. Convert the individual FLAC files to MP3 or AAC MP4 to playback in iTunes.
2. Create individual playlists for songs that I want to listen to.
It's such a very simple feature and I'm surprised big names like Winamp or Foobar don't have such a functionality. Is there an equivalent to what iTunes has and can playback FLAC files? I currently use iTunes for the iTunes Store on my PC, and it's my default player for MP3s. Foobar is for FLAC.

That's why you create playlists in foobar2000 and play only what you want. I've got several thousand songs in my iTunes library currently, took a lot of work to get 'em there fully tagged/artwork, top to bottom, and I sure as hell ain't gonna go in and uncheck the boxes on the ones I don't want to hear at any given time. ;)

Never got into playlists in all my years of computer audio, personally, never created even 1 so far. I load up the library, hit Random/Shuffle and hit Play. If a song comes on I'm not particularly in the mood for, I hit Next till one comes on that I do want to hear.

Seems much easier just to create the playlist of given songs and add/subtract tracks as desired, but that's just me I suppose - if I even used those features.

My playlists in iTunes are organized into individual folders categorized by genres first. And, in each folder are individual folders sorted by Artist name then a playlist for each Album name. So, if I wanted to listen to specific tracks, I'd go to each playlist and uncheck the tracks I don't want to listen to. Then, I click the folder of the artist and it'll show all the songs I've checked and unchecked, then I just hit Play, Repeat and Shuffle.

\Genre folder\
|__\Artist name folder\
|_____\Album playlist.pls

It's a nice way to organize my music, and like you, it took me a very long time to do it that way. It makes me wonder why other music players don't have similar features especially to uncheck/check individual tracks in an individual playlist.

You can select the tracks you want to play in any foobar playlist (the Library Viewer Selection is technically a playlist) and select 'Crop' from the right-click context menu to crop the playlist to only the selected tracks. Conversely, you can select the tracks you don't want to play and click 'Remove'. The foobar method actually results in fewer clicks to achieve the same goal than in iTunes.

To create a saved playlist, simply select all tracks in the playlist viewer and drag them to the Playlists list pane. You can achieve the same in iTunes.

Back