Any Firewall Distros Compatible with VIA Chipsets?

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
I'm looking to setup a linux firewall box with the following specs:

AMD Opteron 144
ASUS A8V-VM
Corsair XMS 512MB DDR
Seagate 120GB SATA150

I was originally gonna setup a untangle box, but untangle has problems with VIA chipsets.
Are there any that will work with my specs above and has content filtering?

thanks

- AMD_RULES

I wouldn't believe that guy who did the first reply to your thread over there.

Asus motherboards are rock solid for me, and even though I detest Via chipsets....take a look at the "What hardware are you running on..."....there are lots of via tunes.

I wouldn't believe that guy who did the first reply to your thread over there.

Asus motherboards are rock solid for me, and even though I detest Via chipsets....take a look at the "What hardware are you running on..."....there are lots of via tunes.
ya i'm not a fan of VIA, i just happened to have the spare motherboard and cpu so I thought i'd setup a small firewall. Smoothwall 3.0 also did not detect the hdd. Must be the chipset or something not set properly either in the bios or something I have no clue about.

May want to fiddle with some BIOS settings..such as emulate IDE, or some legacy SATA mode, or if you have access to a better SATA controller PCI card.

May want to fiddle with some BIOS settings..such as emulate IDE, or some legacy SATA mode, or if you have access to a better SATA controller PCI card.
ya I did fiddle with some of the settings already. Tried all of them actually just for the heck of it. Nothing changed. You think if I got a cheap PCI SATA controller it would work?

What happened to buying a cheap IDE drive?
I don't think that would help. I've already read where people are able to run Untangle on SATA drives, but using Intel or NVIDIA chipsets. My P.O.S VIA chipset is causing the problem...i may just have to find an old pc or something...idk yet though...:(

Honestly, plug in an old ide drive and watch it work ;)

Honestly, plug in an old ide drive and watch it work ;)
i'm almost 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999998% sure it's the chipset.
Untangle is soon to release an updated Version which is "suppose" to support more variety of hardware/chipsets.

Oh well its up to you, but i dont see the harm in trying it ;)

Oh well its up to you, but i dont see the harm in trying it ;)

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
(lmao, you sure like that smily)

Again, i'll wait for the new updated Untangle software to be released. If i experience the same crap, i'll either pick up an IDE drive or a PCI SATA controller, although, seems like a waste of an investment...

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
(lmao, you sure like that smily)

Again, i'll wait for the new updated Untangle software to be released. If i experience the same crap, i'll either pick up an IDE drive or a PCI SATA controller, although, seems like a waste of an investment...

I know, i have got into this habit of putting it atleast once in every post, gets kind of irratating.

Dont you have any kind of ide hdd laying around?

;)

Its ok, have you got all your systems planned out for this dental office then?

Amd_rules go with a sonicwall or freeguard :)

Why have a computer pulling 400 watts when u got a device with actual support pulling 20 watts max

A via device probably is the same power of a OEM device

Ok my mind is playing tricks on me, im sure you posted you were waiting for ddr3 prices to drop :eek:

sounds good
i got quite a few CFs lying around from my old Digital camera. So i can boot from USB (internal)?

I thought you were taking ide card reader... :(, sorry about this im very tired as its about 4am lol

m0n0wall can boot off a cd, and write the config file to floppy yes.

Back