Any experience with Xonar AE 7.1?

Tzeh Pesh

n00b
Not having a lot of luck finding a decent review of this one...

https://www.asus.com/au/Sound-Cards/Xonar-AE

Currently have a Xonar DX that is either slowly dying out on me, or whose drivers really aren't playing nice with Windows 10 and its latest patches and this seems like the logical replacement... any comments much appreciated.

In terms of features, it looks like it might be the internal version of the Xonar U7 or U7 MkII (same software, hardware specs look really close too)

I like the U7 MkII so far, but I have 2 complaints:

1. In analog 7.1 (with speakers) , there is no way to have a ghost center - if you don't have a center channel, you will miss dialog in some games. (I bought a cheap center speaker)

2. Also in Analog 7.1, it does not seem to have bass management (lots of requests on their forums for this) meaning if you play music, it won't send the bass to the subwoofer, you will just hear the music in your L/R speakers only.

You can probably solve both issues with Equalizer APO, for sure you can solve the bass issue but these are only a problem for people who use analog surround sound - if you just use the optical out and/or headphones, it's fine and it's a great sound card.

In my case, I just switch to the SPDIF out to listen to music and my receiver handles the bass management.

Fortunately there was no reason to use an internal sound card for many years.
I've tried Xonar DX before, got rid of it because of the shitty drivers and inability to handle multiple audio channels w/o crackling.

For the last 3 years I've been using an HDMI receiver and could not be more happier.

Not having a lot of luck finding a decent review of this one...

https://www.asus.com/au/Sound-Cards/Xonar-AE

Currently have a Xonar DX that is either slowly dying out on me, or whose drivers really aren't playing nice with Windows 10 and its latest patches and this seems like the logical replacement... any comments much appreciated.

Very little reason to use an internal sound card for anything these days, and you won't likely find a good review. I'd recommend explaining what you use a sound card for and being open to alternatives.

Thanks DoubleTap, will do some reading on the U7's for comparison, the AE being cheaper than both here.

Admittedly ashmelev75, it was many years ago that I bought the DX, as it has been for the bulk of the components in the computer its currently installed in. I want to say 7 years? And while there have been a few times that I've had to wrestle with the drivers the sound quality has always been good for me and definitely a significant step up from the motherboard's on-board sound.

Definitely open to suggestions and alternatives IdiotInCharge, like-for-like just being an obvious starting point for me. In terms of use, as above its primarily to replace an under performing on-board sound card... noisy microphone in, hollow audio out. Standard music, movies, gaming, Skype/VOIP use. I have a decent but not crazy expensive set of Audio Technica headphones/headset and Behringer stereo/monitor speakers, so really just after something to drive them without crippling them like the on-board does while also not being too extravagant considering the aging computer its going to be hooked up to / installed in.

Probably cheaper solutions around, but the AE seemed reasonably priced for hopefully a step up (or at least, not a step back) from my DX or what counts as on-board sound these days when I do put a new system together.

The AE doesn't look bad for the price, but 150Ohm seems a bit underpowered.

Many of the Creative designs are spec'd to 600Ohm, and I have a hard time considering anything less if you plan on keeping it a while.

Back