Any experience with the Dynatron K618?

joshenders

n00b
Joined
May 23, 2012
Messages
7
I recently purchased an OEM E3-1220LV2 and am looking for a low profile passive cooler. It will be used in a 4U Norco RPC-4224 with direct airflow from 3x 120mm fans. At such low power consumption, I imagine I should be able to passively cool it in this configuration without any trouble.

Unfortunately the only retailer I've found for the Dynatron K618 is on Amazon marketplace and I'm unsure if the package contains mounting brackets for my Tyan S5510GM3NR. The Amazon retailer apparently does not offer returns on coolers so if you've used this cooler before I'd appreciate hearing about your experience.
 
We use Dynatron coolers at my shop for rack mounts. I wouldn't use that cooler with that setup. Your case is not ducted for that type of cooler. Do yourself a favor and grab a normal cooler. 4U is pretty tall, so you can get away with just about anything.
 
I ended up purchasing a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO but unfortunately it's too large for the chassis and prevents the lid from sliding shut. It will be returned.

The Dynatron K618 will definitely fit in this chassis. Whether it comes with mounting hardware is unconfirmed. (Can anyone confirm this?) There will be direct airflow from 120mm fan about 4 inches away. I assume regardless of ducting, this 2U heatsink should be able to cool 17W TDP. Thoughts? I am practicing hot isle containment (ducting from the exhaust) for what it's worth.

It should also be known that out of the several retailers that carry this heatsink, none of them replied to my emails. Hopefully there is some prior Dynatron experience here I can draw from.
 
Could you please give me some reports of temps ?
I have same intension to cool down E3-1220LV2 in absolutely fanless system.
 
I wasn't able to find the E3-1220LV2 anywhere. Instead, I purchased the Xeon E3-1230 V2.

Here are the idle temps with the Scythe Samurai ZZ running completely passive.

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-05%20at%2011.00.31%20AM.png


The ambient temperature in the room is around 72F.

This isn't the best photo but gives you an idea on airflow in the case. I've got three Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm running ~1800 RPMs. You'll notice that the cooler is oriented so that it gets direct airflow from the fans.

http://cl.ly/image/2U3X2v150l26
 
Last edited:
Back
Top