Any Exchange Experts in here?

guavaball

Extremely [H]
Our exchange guy aint the brightest in the box and he still has no idea to fix my problem.

I work from home a lot and we have webmail access so you don't have to be connected via VPN to get your mail which is great as long as you configure exchange correctly to the webmail address..

I've been setting up my exchange mail the same way for 2 years, no problems. It always finds my email after I've reloaded my home OS.

A few days ago in the middle of the day I lost connectivity to send or receive. Got this error message claiming it couldn't connect to the exchange server. 0x80040115

I tried VPN'ing in for a direct connection and still nothing, no connectivity to the exchange server.

I rebuilt my account multiple times and nothing. It will resolve my name in the settings tab (ie check name) but once Exchange is fired up and before it can build the folders (since I started over with a new profile) it still says it can't connect to exchange.

We are using 2010 Exchange apparently but for some reason it only seems to be effecting my account or least what I'm aware of.

Of course it works fine at the office.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm using 2007 Office

THere's really no "single point of failure" that I can point you to...

The Autodiscover service handles the ability for Outlook to Autoconfigure itself.. Sounds like that's working since you state your Outlook client fills in your account info even while at home...

The RPC Proxy service is what handles Outlook's connection to the mail server through the "Outlook Anywhere" protocol, AKA RPC over HTTP(S).... (Specifically, the client connects to the Client Access Server, but we can get into those details later if need be.) This itself could be not responding correctly...

OR... It could be something at the firewall isn't working correctly and is blocking or mangling the RPC over HTTP(S) connection.

Or, if you have multple CAS servers, it could be that the one handling requests from the outside has an issue...

Or, it could be that someone has disabled your ability to use the Outlook Anywhere protocol....

Or, or, or... Really, it's hard to say without knowing more about how your enviorment is configured...

One thing you could try is the following site to test your connectivity... Use the "Outlook Anywhere" test to simulate Outlook...
https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

(Disclaimer: While the site is run by Microsoft, and states that it doesn't store username and password info, and hence should be safe... Use [your production login info] at your own risk and only if it doesn't violate your company's policies. You've been warned, etc...........)

Are you able to ping the Exchange server (both IP address and hostname/FQDN) from the outside or when connected to the VPN?

If something has changed on the network (DNS, ACL on a firewall/switch) then your computer might just not be able or allowed to access that server unless you're connected to the actual network. That's the reason I'm asking if you can ping the IP and the hostname.

Are you using the automatic email settings that Exchange offers to your client or are you manually setting up the email server hostname, username, password, etc..?

If you can see the machine using ping and you can't setup the account still, you might see if your network administrator can put you on a public IP address and come into the network from the public side while they watch you try the email.

All of this...

THere's really no "single point of failure" that I can point you to...

The Autodiscover service handles the ability for Outlook to Autoconfigure itself.. Sounds like that's working since you state your Outlook client fills in your account info even while at home...

The RPC Proxy service is what handles Outlook's connection to the mail server through the "Outlook Anywhere" protocol, AKA RPC over HTTP(S).... (Specifically, the client connects to the Client Access Server, but we can get into those details later if need be.) This itself could be not responding correctly...

OR... It could be something at the firewall isn't working correctly and is blocking or mangling the RPC over HTTP(S) connection.

Or, if you have multple CAS servers, it could be that the one handling requests from the outside has an issue...

Or, it could be that someone has disabled your ability to use the Outlook Anywhere protocol....

Or, or, or... Really, it's hard to say without knowing more about how your enviorment is configured...

One thing you could try is the following site to test your connectivity... Use the "Outlook Anywhere" test to simulate Outlook...
https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

(Disclaimer: While the site is run by Microsoft, and states that it doesn't store username and password info, and hence should be safe... Use [your production login info] at your own risk and only if it doesn't violate your company's policies. You've been warned, etc...........)

And none of this...

Are you able to ping the Exchange server (both IP address and hostname/FQDN) from the outside or when connected to the VPN?

If something has changed on the network (DNS, ACL on a firewall/switch) then your computer might just not be able or allowed to access that server unless you're connected to the actual network. That's the reason I'm asking if you can ping the IP and the hostname.

Are you using the automatic email settings that Exchange offers to your client or are you manually setting up the email server hostname, username, password, etc..?

If you can see the machine using ping and you can't setup the account still, you might see if your network administrator can put you on a public IP address and come into the network from the public side while they watch you try the email.

Corge, he's outside the network, so he shouldn't be able to ping his exchange server (assuming his Firewall guy isn't silly), since it resolves his name when he tries to connect he is "allowed access" while not on the network (especially since he's been doing it before). As far as your last suggestion... he is on a public IP (hence the "work from home").

You're not his exchange admin are you... :p :eek: ;)

Back