Any Dual 940 boards that overclock?

brycejones

Supreme [H]ardness
I just picked up a pair of 246's on an impluse and if the MB I got with them doesn't work. (it was dirt cheap) are there any dual 940 MBs that have OC options?

I'm going to recommend you to a more dedicated forum on dual cpu boards, forums.2cpu.com. I hang out there alot and they will have alot more helpful information than you might get here.

On that note, tyan boards, almost no overclock, I believe MSI is the board you want for that.

The Asus K8N-DL has limited OC options in the BIOS also. I hear it works with nTune, but as I run Linux on it, I can't attest to that personally.

Supermicro H8DCE works well with the nTune stuff, but suffers limitations due to chipset cooling issues. (Which was addressed in the latest hardware revision; I haven't gotten my hands on one yet.)
Your biggest limiting factor on nForce2200/2050's will be cooling on the chipset, on AMD8111/8131/8151's it's the chipset itself.

AreEss said:
Supermicro H8DCE works well with the nTune stuff, but suffers limitations due to chipset cooling issues. (Which was addressed in the latest hardware revision; I haven't gotten my hands on one yet.)
Your biggest limiting factor on nForce2200/2050's will be cooling on the chipset, on AMD8111/8131/8151's it's the chipset itself.

Yep. My Tyan works pretty well, but I run into chipset cooling issues past 220MHz FSB or so. So about the best I can do is get to 3.0/3.1GHz.

So, uh, that means with active cooling on chipsets (I was thinking some 60mm fans + heatsink + AS5) you could see some decent OCs? Sweet.

movax said:
So, uh, that means with active cooling on chipsets (I was thinking some 60mm fans + heatsink + AS5) you could see some decent OCs? Sweet.

Not could.
Will.
Not on the Tyans; 8131 limits them. 220-224's about the fastest you'll ever get. Pretty much crap for an overclock. Supermicro H8DCE's, well, 240's certainly not unobtainable.

Here's the problem though; your plan? No. Won't work. The chipset location makes it unpleasant and a half. I use a custom aluminum heatsink, blower, and ductwork. It's the only way to make it fit so far. Haven't gotten around to seeing if there's a waterblock that will fit them out of the box, but it's highly unlikely. Things are VERY tight on the H8DCE.

Looks like I need to go make friends with a machinist/CNC mill person then, hehheh. OC'ing a pair of 275s doesn't sound as far-fetched as it used too.

I think my iwill board oc's a little, but never really played with it since I only have stock oem coolers on my CPU's :(

movax said:
Looks like I need to go make friends with a machinist/CNC mill person then, hehheh. OC'ing a pair of 275s doesn't sound as far-fetched as it used too.

Hee, I'm just using Alpha Microforge off-the-shelf stuff with a Dremel and drill, followed up with cheap sheet steel from the local hardware store. I have so many of these Alpha passives lying around though, I haven't ordered in ages, so I'm not sure if anyone's still selling them. Basically just chunks of aluminum with fins.

All these NForce socket 940 boards should overclock about the same.

You have to use NTune or Linux cpufreq to actually change the FSB, none of them do that in the BIOS.

To my knowledge all of these boards have DDR frequency control and the Hypertransport manually lockable to 4x or 3x, so you are covered there.

The only thing difficult to figure out is whether there is a working PCI lock or not.

None of these boards add true overvolting, but using software you can usually bump it to 1.40 V. If your CPU defaults to 1.35V that is already better than nothing. The only voltmod instructions for multi-CPU 940 boards I have seen are for the Thunder K8WE.

Back