Any difference in DVD-R DL brands?

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to burn some old archives that run over the normal size of a regular DVD-R. Been checking out fry's and BB and saw a couple of different brands, but I've read here and other places about some brands having compatibility issues since they were lower quality. Ridata seems to be the cheapest, and I prefer Memorex, but I'm up for pretty much any brand as long as it's not some exorbitant price. Anyone have any suggestions? Anything to look for specifically?

I tried to burn a couple Memorex DVD+R DL and my car cannot read them at all, which is where I wanted to use them. I've been told that Verbatim would be a better choice for me, so I'm passing that along.

DrageMester said:
The best choice for DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL is Verbatim media. Unless you have very specific reasons for wanting DVD-R DL (e.g. because you have a standalone DVD recorder which doesn't support DVD+R DL) I advise you to get DVD+R DL instead. And did I mention Verbatim being the best choice?
Source

The cdfreaks users know what they are talking about.

EDIT: yes there are many differences between the different brands.

+1 with Master Bob.

Yes there's a huge difference, yes the CDFreaks people know what they're talking about.

Even given their experience, added to my own, I wouldn't burn ANYTHING truly irreplaceable to any DL media, even Verbatim. I've still had plenty of Verbatim failures and degradation compared to quality single layer media like Taiyo-Yuden. Since a DL costs more than double what an SL blank costs, at least it is an easy financial decision too.

+1 with Master Bob.

Yes there's a huge difference, yes the CDFreaks people know what they're talking about.

Even given their experience, added to my own, I wouldn't burn ANYTHING truly irreplaceable to any DL media, even Verbatim. I've still had plenty of Verbatim failures and degradation compared to quality single layer media like Taiyo-Yuden. Since a DL costs more than double what an SL blank costs, at least it is an easy financial decision too.

I agree.

Back