Any comparisons for 4890 x 2 to the new 6000 series

ALBPM

n00b
I'm still running my 4890 crossfire but starting to get the upgrade bug now that the 6970 is out. I haven't found any good comparisons for the 4890 x 2 to any of the 6000 Series cards.

Would I be gaining much other than DX11 support by getting a single 6970 card for now???

Eventually I would get another 6970 or whatever to run in Crossfire mode again.

Depends on your resolution. For 1920x1200 and under I'd keep the cards you have now, unless you really want DX11.

The 6970 is only "a bit" faster than the 5870 in most situations. Your 4890's in crossfire would also be "a bit" faster than the 5870 in most situations. I really don't think you would see a significant performance difference.

With the 4890s you are missing out on DX11 specific features such as Tessellation but that doesn't mean DirectX11 games won't run on the cards at all. Almost all DirectX11 games will run on DirectX10 and 10.1 hardware just fine due to compatibility features built directly into the API.

The 4890s used DirectX10.1, which was not widely used in many games due to Nvidia dropping the ball with their 10.1 support, but all of those advancements 10.1 had over 10 that were never used at the time were ultimately rolled into DirectX11, so users of 10.1 hardware are in a great place with DirectX11, in many cases taking advantage of the 10.1 hardware capabilities of their cards for the very first time via the 10.1 down-level compatibility path in DirectX11.

The only situation where I could see the 6970 pulling ahead with a significant lead would be if you game at a very high resolution and crank the anti-aliasing. 1GB Vram per GPU (as on the 4890s) is not typically a limitation but it has the potential to become one under semi-extreme conditions such as those, at which point the 2gb VRam on the 6970 might come into play.

Thanks!! I have no issues with my current setup so I may be skipping one more generation

i too have a CF 4890's in current rig, and was getting the upgrade bug as well! but really so far that im seeing is dx11 and less power being used. currently i dont see a need to upgrade as well. this thread just put the nail in the coffin. thank you.

could cut power usage way down if you upgraded and end up with as good to better performance with a single card.

Back