Any CF Card Reader uses Firewire port

Happy Hopping

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
8,521
There are a lot of CF card reader/combo card reader uses USB, but that's too slow, I'm hoping for 1 that directly connects to a firewire card. Any1 seen 1?

the combo USB CF Card reader at ebay is only $0.99, so somewhere in that range will do
 
Last edited:
Firewire isn't really used for that kind of thing (or anything, it's dying), and there is no way it would be cheap as dirt (and I think you should look at the shipping cost of your 0.99$ reader, it's a trick to pay less eBay tax). Your best bet will be USB3, but it's not cheap, and you need USB3 on your computer.
 
I don't think there is a USB 3.0 combo CF Card reader. But I'm thinking of getting a SATA 6GB/s controller in which the back port is USB 3.0, I want a SATA 6.0GB/s controller for my 5th SATA drive. But I have seen some of these controller (I think it's ASUS) that has 2 x USB 3.0 port at the rear.

So as long as there is no bottom neck on the PCI E card, I'm in. So the only question remains, is there any combo card or CF Card that's USB 3.0, not expensive.

And I did check around, turns out Lexar has Firewire CF Reader at $20
 
Lexar makes a FireWire 400/800 CF reader but it's like $90 iirc and requires a FW400 or FW800 port.
 
I think I had a firewire CF reader at one point. It wasn't appreciably faster (if at all) than a similar USB reader. I never ran disk speed benchmarks on them. I think the speed has more to do with the CF cards than the interface. Most CF cards are pretty slow so it's not the uplink that's causing the bottleneck.
 
I use Sandisk Extreme 4, but from my camera, transferring to the hard drive does take some time, from 1 of those ebay seller who seems to be quite convinced on his claim, he said USB 3.0 card reader even on a USB 2 port is faster than Firewire 400/800
 
I find that super hard to believe.

On my USB2.0 reader my Ultra 2 and Kingston Elites,
USB 2.0 reader maxes at about 19MB/s.

my FW800 reader hits upwards of 40-60MB/S depending on the cards.
sustained.
 
take a look at this ebay item, 180688561020, scroll to the bottom, and let me know what you think
 
lol at the firewire is dying comment. Every single HD portable camera at work (I work in broadcasting) has a firewire port for video transfers not USB. I am not talking flip cams here either real tv quality cameras. we do everything in firewire 800.
 
In theory, USB is faster.

However, USB is software based. Firewire uses hardware controllers.

Firewire provides guaranteed throughput, and that's why all real professional equipment uses PCI-E or Firewire.
 
even so, what's the big deal being software based? Since USB 3.0 is 5 GB/s, that by definition is a lot faster than 800Mb/s on Firewire 800
 
For me, all I have is a USB flash drive, a USB Mouse, so when I do bulk file transfer, the speed is very constant, and it takes up what's left of the bandwidth.

Besides, to transfer 2GB is only 6.6 sec., so I only need NOT to use the USB bandwidth for 6.6 sec.
 
Back
Top