Any Cacti users?

typhoon43

2[H]4U
Played with MRTG, but thought I'd try another platform. Cacti looks really cool. Anyone here try running it on a Win2k3 box with IIs 6.0? I have the "repeating login" screen where it doesn't seem to set the session cookie so the login screen just loops when you try to get in.

Anyone got any ideas? If not, how do you like Cacti? worth it for me to bang my head against this box for another couple of hours reinstalling?

I use Cacti to track the bandwidth usage at my corporate site and 21 remote sites. It was super easy to setup. Then I got into move advanced stuff and now I also track how many users are currently on my Exchange server, on my terminal server, along with disk space on my servers. It actually came in helpful because the other day one of my file servers suddenly jumped up 85GB and I couldn't find the culprit. Looked at my Cacti graph I saw what time it started and traced it down to a replication problem.

I use it on Apache though and have not used it on IIS. Have you checked the Cacti forums to see if someone else has this prob?

Bean Dip said:
I use Cacti to track the bandwidth usage at my corporate site and 21 remote sites. It was super easy to setup. Then I got into move advanced stuff and now I also track how many users are currently on my Exchange server, on my terminal server, along with disk space on my servers. It actually came in helpful because the other day one of my file servers suddenly jumped up 85GB and I couldn't find the culprit. Looked at my Cacti graph I saw what time it started and traced it down to a replication problem.

I use it on Apache though and have not used it on IIS. Have you checked the Cacti forums to see if someone else has this prob?

I've been all through those forums with a fine-tooth comb, and have even posted there about this, but no replies. A lot of people have had the issue with 2k3/IIS, but there are no posted solutions. Are you running Apache on a Windows box, or are you on a *nix box? I'd really like to have it under IIS if possible. Glad to hear you like it. Now if I can just get the damn thing to let me login <grr>

I also use it to track the bandwidth usage at 25 hospitals and imaging centers. We also watch switch traffic and monitor the server room temps. Although we are using linux/apache. I would have to say it is far better the mrtg

I use it on a Server 2003 box but with Apache and not IIS. Runs perfect using Apache as well.

typhoon43 said:
I've been all through those forums with a fine-tooth comb, and have even posted there about this, but no replies. A lot of people have had the issue with 2k3/IIS, but there are no posted solutions. Are you running Apache on a Windows box, or are you on a *nix box? I'd really like to have it under IIS if possible. Glad to hear you like it. Now if I can just get the damn thing to let me login <grr>

I run it on FreeBSD. I haven't ever tried it on Windows as I went with BAMP (BSD, Apache, MySQL, PHP) as my development platform for our company. The only IIS server we have is used for Outlook Web Access and I don't monkey with it.

I looked through their forums too but did not see anything to fix your problem.

What browser are you using? Have you tried an alternative to see if a security setting maybe causing it? Or do you have any kind of cookie blocker on the PC?

If you haven't seen it go check BSOD2600's Windows Install Guide. It is really detailed and maybe it will help you see what is wrong.

It doesnt take any power at all. Just get a standard desktop, load ubunutu on it and do it that way. It works very well and is easy to setup. I use it with nagios. I monitor bandwidth of access points, routers, switches. I also monitor sql DB connections, file servers space, server CPU %, and other things.

Well I got it up and running like a champ on IIS. I used a different version of RRDTool. Seems very stable once it's in place. Installed Threshold, Monitor, and Cycle plugins as well. Now I just need a way to set the Thold to email me when a server drops connecitivity. I've tested disk space warnings and it's all good. Maybe I need to just set a low thold at 0 bytes/sec for 1 polling period?

Back