Any Audiophile music for testing headphones/speakers?

mirage.

n00b
I bought a pair of Shure E2C's yesterday and I need to test them out w/ some high quality music/sound for headphone comparison. Is there any music good for listening to our testing headphones and possibly speakers? Cheers :)

the best music is music you already listen to... stuff you are familiar with.

i feel they do well with vocals

sorry but they are e2cs. they are better than most low end headphones yes but....

just listen to what you know and note the differences from previous experience.

try any lossless audio you're familiar with. CD's and DVD's comes to mind.
MP3 are usual a bad idea when 'testing' an audio device, more so if they're low bitrate.

McIntosh pairs all their stuff with discs loaded with well-recorded classical music. In fact, if you check Oink (and if you don't know what this is, just ignore this entire post), you'll find one of these little gems encoded and tagged quite nicely by yours truly. Hope you like FLAC.

Flamenco guitar always sounds better on higher quality headphones to me, look up Ottmar Liebert or Rodrigo y Gabriela, etc

If you have an Audigy2 or X-Fi, go buy a DVD-Audio disc of something you like.

Listen to whatever you like, in the way you like. If they sound good on that, then they are good for you. Unless you are using your equipment for audio production, there's no reason to be concerned with meeting some artificial standard of audio quality. The only standard that matters is making you happy. For example if you like rap music and the only thing you care about is overpowering bass, well then go for it, don't let anyone tell you that you are wrong.

When it comes to music and audio, Duke Ellington said all you need to know: "If it sounds good it is good!" It's all in what you like. So ya, just evaluate the headphones on the music that you enjoy. That's the only stuff that matters.

Back