Any AppleTV owners here?

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
How do you like the HD movie feature?

I'm considering picking one up.

Thanks.

The HD movie part was the only reason to keep it. I had one, total waste. I almost never used it. They should have let the Macbook Air DVD drive work with it, then it would have some serious potential.

I hacked it to death (installing codecs, even OSX) but it just didn't cut it for my needs. I replaced it with a Mac Mini that does the job 100x better - having Hulu, streaming sites (watchsimpsonsonline, etc), Netflix watch now through Vmware justifies the double price easily.

The HD movie part was the only reason to keep it. I had one, total waste. I almost never used it. They should have let the Macbook Air DVD drive work with it, then it would have some serious potential.

I hacked it to death (installing codecs, even OSX) but it just didn't cut it for my needs. I replaced it with a Mac Mini that does the job 100x better - having Hulu, streaming sites (watchsimpsonsonline, etc), Netflix watch now through Vmware justifies the double price easily.

I am in the same boot you are. I have an Apple TV and I'm replacing it with a Mac Mini.

Love my AppleTV.
It's portable.. Streaming music works great! Using my iPhone as a remote is probably the coolest feature.

I hacked it with the aTV patchstick software, which installed SSH, AFP, codecs, and external hard drive support. Now I can play all my HD video on there, after converting from mkv -> mp4 or mov with Visualhub. I basically transfer the video files from my mac to an external drive, plug it in, and play.

If I want to use the AppleTV on a friend's TV, I can plug the external drive in and login using SSH to copy the file to the internal hard drive.

i hate when people suggestion to get something like mkv to work with an apple tv or ps3 is to convert the damn file. that isnt making it work, is it?

I'm not interested in hacking it to make it play all sorts of file types, I have an HTPC for that.

I just want to know about how you guys like the HD Movies that are now available to purchase or rent.

I figure if the quality is there I could get an Apple TV instead of a Blu-Ray player.

I'm not interested in hacking it to make it play all sorts of file types, I have an HTPC for that.

I just want to know about how you guys like the HD Movies that are now available to purchase or rent.

I figure if the quality is there I could get an Apple TV instead of a Blu-Ray player.
iLounge did a pretty good comparison.

I would personally get a Blu-Ray player and Netflix if you want superior quality, or (if you have the horsepower) just get a drive for a PC and decrypt the movies and encode them yourself.

It's a subjective though. I think it looks good but Blu-Ray is of course better. It really depends on how picky you are and/or how much money you are willing to spend.

iLounge did a pretty good comparison.

I would personally get a Blu-Ray player and Netflix if you want superior quality, or (if you have the horsepower) just get a drive for a PC and decrypt the movies and encode them yourself.

It's a subjective though. I think it looks good but Blu-Ray is of course better. It really depends on how picky you are and/or how much money you are willing to spend.

Thanks guys. I'll check out that comparison.

Back