Any advice on how to get a MSI Motherboard to POST after a BIOS update?

MSI Z690 Carbon Wi-fi won't boot after attempted BIOS update

New build
  • i5-12600K, Liquid Freezer II 240 mm A-RGB AIO
  • G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000 CL36 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RS
  • 2Tb SK hynix Platinum P41 PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 2280 Internal SSD
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G6, 80 Plus Gold 750W
  • Win 11 Home
  • Old Acer 1080P monitor, internal Intel GPU, HDMI cable connection

Assembled PC 5 days ago, no issues, booted first time, updated to latest drivers via MSI Center and Windows Update. Was running original BIOS (1.00). Today I decided to update BIOS to most recent version (1.70). I researched and found that version 7D30v17 was available. I formatted a FAT32 drive (the MSI drive that came with MB), used the M-Flash approach (not MSI Center). Updated, started to POST and then screen went blank. No response, but fans are on, AIO and ram sticks RGB are lit up. I tried to short the jumper multiple times and restart. No luck. I then tried the Flash BIOS Button approach. Red light near BIOS button blinked red for 3-4 minutes, system tried to POST, but just like the first time...blank screen, no video output. Digital display on MB is two dashes "- - " in bright white. The CPU error led is lit in red. Not using a graphics card, using built in i5-12600K integrated video.

Submitted trouble ticket, MSI supports response was "here is an RMA form, fill it out".

Any suggestions of what t try to do up to and including the RMA process? Right now its fully assembled so I can try as is or disassemble for RMA return and try in a bare bones state too.

I would try the BIOS flash button but with an older BIOS. Maybe the one before the newest
1659560799515.png

The CPU compatibility page shows 7D30V10.zip as compatible. That page may be outdated, but at least that should be a good starting point.

Edit: ah, that's the first version. I guess that's just the first bios which supports that processor.

The CPU compatibility page shows 7D30V10.zip as compatible. That page may be outdated, but at least that should be a good starting point.

Edit: ah, that's the first version. I guess that's just the first bios which supports that processor.
Right thats the one the unit came with and it worked, but was 9+ months old so I thought I'd get up to date. I could combine that with the suggestion above....strip it down to nothing but minimum power connections.

Interesting take on it. So disconnect everything except for power? I do have CPU_PWR2 connected too and try to use an older BIOS level vs the latest one?
That step seems odd. But ya keep the board powered up with the 24 pin and the 8 pin cpu. Then try an older bios with that button.

That step seems odd. But ya keep the board powered up with the 24 pin and the 8 pin cpu. Then try an older bios with that button.
Will do. CPU_PWR1 and 2 are each a 4 pin connector right next to each other. Instructions are kinda vague, but says you might need 2 if you are going to overclock, which I was planning to do a bit of, nothing crazy, so I connected both. Plenty of margin on the PSU and cooling.

and I meant to add... so basically strip it down to nothing but basic power, everything else disconnected. But to test and see if the flash worked and it can POST? I need to put it all back together again, right? CPU, memory, AIO, everything to a normal config so I can plug in a monitor and keyboard. Or am I missing something? Sorry long work day.

and I meant to add... so basically strip it down to nothing but basic power, everything else disconnected. But to test and see if the flash worked and it can POST? I need to put it all back together again, right? CPU, memory, AIO, everything to a normal config so I can plug in a monitor and keyboard. Or am I missing something? Sorry long work day.
You should be ok with cpu power cables as is. I've never had to take out like the ram or CPU to do it. But I would strip it down no drives or video card which you don't have anyway, keep the ram cpu and cooler installed then try to flash. If that doesn't work try without ram and or CPU.

I'm old school and revived many "dead" motherboards with this simple method.

Bridge the CMOS reset pins.
Remove the CMOS battery
Leave overnight or at least several hours.

Put battery back and remove jumper.
Fingers crossed and it posts and starts up.

Back