Any 1P setups worth it?

FLECOM

Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar
Staff member
wondering if there are any inexpensive 1P setups that make decent PPD or are we at "go 4P or go home"?

4P OR GO HOME!!! but no, seriously. A 2600K build would be a very cost effective solution and will still put out decent PPD. If you can get your hands on an Intel hexacore, you would also have a very good single CPU machine.

Depends on what you have lying around already and what you classify as decent PPD.

Toconator has just posted about his new i3 build that i think is worth about 4-5k PPD, an i7 2600k can get upto 30-35k PPD dependant on WU and OC. Hex cores are still silly money on either socket unless you go for a spicer option

Pretty much, if you want a 1P solution, you're looking at a 2600k/2700k, OC the heck out of it.

To echo what Nathan_P said about hexacores, those are a solid option on either LGA1366 or LGA2011, but they get pricey fast, even the spicy variety.

It really boils down to budget and if you plan on using the machine as a daily driver.

Depends on what you have lying around already and what you classify as decent PPD.

Toconator has just posted about his new i3 build that i think is worth about 4-5k PPD, an i7 2600k can get upto 30-35k PPD dependant on WU and OC. Hex cores are still silly money on either socket unless you go for a spicer option

35k reliably requires a decent-hefty OC. At stock 2600s get around 15-20k these days.

In points per Watt, 4p is where it is at bar none. Although it seems as though Pande has finally noticed people griping about the irrelevance of SMP in the points competition.

Well, every single 2600k that I've tested has reliably hit 4.5GHz+ on a decent air or prerolled watercooling setup. They take to it very well, I know for a fact that a few people around here had multiple 2600k systems churning out WU's before switching to 4P.

i7-2600K is definitely the way to go, very easy to OC and an abundance of sub $100 motherboards you can use with it.

Used 2600K are now at the $200 level so no reason not to go that route. If you can stumble into a cheap used i7 970 that would be even better. You might also want to keep an eye open for a steal on a 3930K setup.

I've got a 2600K on a Sabertooth 67 board with the extra motherboard fan, Noctua NH-C14 cooler with 2 gig of gskill 1600 ram I MIGHT be persuaded to part with. Runs very reliably at 4.0. Will go higher but I didnt want to crank up the volts. Let me know if your interested.
Oh it gets 25-22K ppd depending on WU on windows.

Well, every single 2600k that I've tested has reliably hit 4.5GHz+ on a decent air or prerolled watercooling setup.

I was not as successful.

I have two 2600K systems in identical motherboards with identical cooling. One system never went above 3.9 Ghz. So I left it alone and it runs fine.

My other 2600K ran at 4.4 Ghz for over a year until it decided that it did not want to play at that speed. Now I have it at 3.9 Ghz and she is fine as well.

YMMV.

I was not as successful.

I have two 2600K systems in identical motherboards with identical cooling. One system never went above 3.9 Ghz. So I left it alone and it runs fine.

My other 2600K ran at 4.4 Ghz for over a year until it decided that it did not want to play at that speed. Now I have it at 3.9 Ghz and she is fine as well.

YMMV.

Sounds like a board / LLC issue...
SB chips seem to be rather fragile.

2 cents worth: i3 getting 6K ppd typical on P7200 core A4's, little higher on an A3 core the other day. stock clocks and cooling, runs quiet and puts out very little heat. 2 empty PCi-E slots if I opt for spare GPU's down the road. Just trying to psyche myself up for a WHS install and restore on it. Too hot in mancave right now
/slow motion play back of reaching for beer ... :)

Yeah my 2600k at 4.6 right now hits about 30k ish on A3 units. I think it can go to 5ghz, but it makes it pretty toasty in the office.

Also, a 3570 and cheap mobo combo from microcenter might be an option if you're purchasing new gear.

I've got a 2600K on a Sabertooth 67 board with the extra motherboard fan, Noctua NH-C14 cooler with 2 gig of gskill 1600 ram I MIGHT be persuaded to part with. Runs very reliably at 4.0. Will go higher but I didnt want to crank up the volts. Let me know if your interested.
Oh it gets 25-22K ppd depending on WU on windows.
That's my experience as well. I had my 2600K up to around 4.4 Ghz at stock voltage, but it would occassionally reboot. Didn't want to push the voltage, so pulled it down to 4.0Ghz and get about 24K PPD, enough for me to get nearly on page 3 at EOC!

My 3930K @ 5Ghz gets 66K PPD on SMP units :D It gets 110K PPD on big adv (the crappy WU), but it's my primary machine so I only turn big adv on when I don't plan to game. Watching videos is fine though.

It's probably twice the price of a 2600k machine for twice the PPD if you're not going for as high an OC.

I was running an i7-970 that up until the end of july was still cranking out bigadv units, doing a pretty healthy 50-60k PPD on linux. It hasn't seen one in a couple weeks though. I'm afraid the value proposition on SMP is significantly worse (ppd/w) and I think i'm going to have to shut it down soon

E5-1650 or i7-3930K are actually not too bad price wise and probably faster than the lower clocked octo-cores.

Might be a dumb thought - but there seems to be a big difference between what 2P/ 4P systems can do and 1P. When I had better power and could actually run rigs 24x7, I started with like 4x i7-2600K boxen then realized that it was more cost effective to mine bonus points for completion. Then again, if you just want to run one less expensive system, it is better than nothing.

I was running an i7-970 that up until the end of july was still cranking out bigadv units, doing a pretty healthy 50-60k PPD on linux. It hasn't seen one in a couple weeks though. I'm afraid the value proposition on SMP is significantly worse (ppd/w) and I think i'm going to have to shut it down soon

Depending on the BOINC project an i7 970 is pretty beastly. If the electricity isn't a big concern the DC Commandos could use the help if you are going to stop folding.

My i3 2100T cranks out about 4k ppd.

I like it because even fully cranked, it doesn't produce enough heat to crank any fans, and there's no noticeable increase in room temps in the summer. I'm especially happy because it was never my intention to use it for FAH when I bought it :D

I will get my 2500k involved in the winter, but until then I'm stuck at 4k.

My i3 2100T cranks out about 4k ppd.

I like it because even fully cranked, it doesn't produce enough heat to crank any fans, and there's no noticeable increase in room temps in the summer. I'm especially happy because it was never my intention to use it for FAH when I bought it :D

I will get my 2500k involved in the winter, but until then I'm stuck at 4k.

4k is enough to enter the folding contest!

Depending on the BOINC project an i7 970 is pretty beastly. If the electricity isn't a big concern the DC Commandos could use the help if you are going to stop folding.

No kidding. BOINC that thing up, overclock or not.

My 980x is clocked at 4.2 GHz for now (keeps the AC bill down) and is getting a daily average of 36k ppd according to my EOC stats.

4k is enough to enter the folding contest!

It's *just* shy of 4k. 3900~ish to be exact.

Q0ddU.jpg

Sucks, but I'm not in it for the contests.

4k isn't too bad for a dual core; that's about what my X3350 was getting! That got closer to 5k, but it's got twice the cores, four times the cache (12M) and a slightly higher clock (2.66GHz)! It's pretty impressive how much chips have improved.

4k isn't too bad for a dual core; that's about what my X3350 was getting! That got closer to 5k, but it's got twice the cores, four times the cache (12M) and a slightly higher clock (2.66GHz)! It's pretty impressive how much chips have improved.

Sounds like you need to overclock that 3350! I had mine up to 3.5ghz for most of its life until I sold it. 3.5 netted me about 9k ppd. It's stock cooler was junk tho, hope you've got a decent one or it will likely be a short trip :)

And yes, 4k is about right for a dual core, that's about what i'm getting out of this laptop chip, a i5 560M.

Back