Antivirus for machine that doesnt surf or get email

Disarray

[H]ard|Gawd
Forgive my noobishness here. I dont want to run antivirus on my gaming rig if I dont have to. My question is, if I only game on this rig, but it is on the same network as the machine I do surf with, do I need to have antivirus installed on my gaming rig? Seems like I should but i want to ask just in case.

I would go to antivirus.com and scan with their housecall utility weekly instead of bogging down your machine.

Latest antivirus like AVG / Antivir / etc have a very small resource hit, you can have them running in background and never notice them, having a computer without AV these days is a NO NO :(

OldMX

Anything but nothing please. There are free scanners, and the overhead of a couple of MB running in the backround will likely not affect your gaming. I think AVG only uses like 8MB, don't worry about the overhead...

You should have something. At the very least set it up so that it doesn't do active scanning, but do weekly one-time scans or something. Viruses can propegate through network connections relatively easily if the security isn't there (which it normally isn't in home networks). Sometimes it can even propegate if the security IS there.

Better safe than sorry I say ;).

You won't be downloading game patches, nocd cracks (I'm not talking about them!), won't be running steam, etc.? I bet you will slip and start jumping on the net. Even if you don't, viruses can come across your network just fine as well as come in through your CD-ROM form burned CDs.

If it's networked with other machines, it's still vulnerable, even if you don't do any actual surfing. If running an AV program is the background is hurting your gaming, you should consider an upgrade, not doing without.

Back