Antivirus and server enviroment

killerasp

Gawd
I was wondering of those that manage win2k3 servers across various domains, how many of you employ the use ot antivirus products like Mcafee and or Symantec? A firewall can only do so much but it wont stop a virus from infecting your machine. Are there heavy duty products out there for server enviroments?

Cisco Router & Firewall at the ISP connection.
Catalyst switches at the access layers with VLAN's & ACL's to keep the servers separate.
Servers all have Symantec AV 9.0 Ent centrally managed for the AV defs. No need for a software firewall on the servers.
I'm more concerned about worms than virii on the servers, but Windows Updates and an up-to-date AV cover most of that.
The publicly accessible servers are in a DMZ with no/or only encrypted access back to the specific resource they need on the 'trusted' LAN

after thinking about symantec and their "real time file protection" which is a good thing. but having something liek this on a heavy loaded webserver will cause the AV program to scan each and every file that is accessed on the drive thus causing a heavy load.

Correct.
We run the real time scanning on almost all the drives except our email servers.
We exclude the \lotus\mail directory on Domino servers and the M:\ drive on exchange machines.
Unless your webserver is getting massively hit you probably won't notice the A/V running, but you can tell it to exclude the \wwwroot if you want.

yeah, unfortunatley (which is a good thing), We get tons of visitors a day. I will continue to do research. thanks.

Back