AntiAliasing broken in Chronicles of Riddick and 6800U

wazooda

Weaksauce
Man! Who the hell created the graphics engine for Riddick!

After reading all the reviews for the Xbox, I reserved my PC copy at EBX and got it yesterday. After a problem with the copy protection (make sure if you are running Nero SpeedDisk to shut it down prior to trying to launching the game) I set up my graphics similar to how I played HL2: 1600x1024, all eye candy on, no AA or AF to start.... and.... SLIDESHOW!! (well... more like very choppy... :) ).

Anyways... ultimately had to crank it down to 1024x768 for smooth gameplay but am getting HORRIBLE "crawling" on surface edges. So.... I tried cranking up ingame AF... but no effect.

So.... I set AA to both 2x and 4x in the Nvidia control panel and the game slows to, no kidding, one frame every ten seconds or so. In game menu works fine, but the game is unplayable.

I tried drivers 61.77, 66.93 & 67.02.... all the same problem.

Pretty unacceptable to me and I would recommend currently steering clear of this game... which is a shame as it looks like it has potential.

Wazoo

The game just launched.

How many PC games come out with every single feature working and fully-optimized? Hell, be thankful you can play the fucking game. That's more than I could say for HL2.

WickedAngel said:
The game just launched.

How many PC games come out with every single feature working and fully-optimized? Hell, be thankful you can play the fucking game. That's more than I could say for HL2.

HL2 worked right out of the box for me without a hitch. This, at least in my personal experience, is the worst game at launch vis a vis graphics engine that I have played in recent memory.

wazooda said:
Pretty unacceptable to me and I would recommend currently steering clear of this game... which is a shame as it looks like it has potential.
Wazoo
Let's completely ignore the fact that it's a very good game.

HL2 worked right out of the box for me without a hitch.

Good for you. Unfortunately, thousands of others couldn't get into the game (And some now can't access their accounts). To date, this is the first time I've heard anything mentioned about CoR.

By the way, you're pretty fucking uptight about this. I've seen games that didn't even run textures right at launch, let alone something as paltry as anti-aliasing.

Why are approx 50% of threads on this board hijacked by HL2 whingers? There's plenty of other threads on the subject. As far as I'm concerned the poster has good points:

1. Why would an XBox game be ported to the PC and run with XBox performance on a GPU capable of several times the speed? Sounds like a cheap and quick cash in and consumers don't need to be encouraging this.

2. If the AA isn't working, it hasn't been well tested if this turns out to be a common problem. Again, why should the fact that other games come out broken mean that we should accept it and just be thankful that the damn thing doesn't blow our computer up, spit in our burger and have an affair with our wife/girlfriend ?

mulpsmebeauty said:
2. If the AA isn't working, it hasn't been well tested if this turns out to be a common problem. Again, why should the fact that other games come out broken mean that we should accept it and just be thankful that the damn thing doesn't blow our computer up, spit in our burger and have an affair with our wife/girlfriend ?

Man, that would be a crazy game.

WickedAngel said:
Good for you. Unfortunately, thousands of others couldn't get into the game (And some now can't access their accounts). To date, this is the first time I've heard anything mentioned about CoR.

By the way, you're pretty fucking uptight about this. I've seen games that didn't even run textures right at launch, let alone something as paltry as anti-aliasing.

Uptight? Ummm... ooookkkaaayyy.... but I'll go out on a limb and say I'm not the one being a tad shrill.....

Anyway.... I think Mulp's point is more my gripe. Perfection I do not expect. But basic play testing like AA compatibility.... I dunno. Maybe I'm nuts, but I don't think that is too much to expect.

Also... I think my rig is pretty top end. Should I not expect in the age of Doom and HL2 that I should be able to run a game with an older engine smoothly in high res?

1. Why would an XBox game be ported to the PC and run with XBox performance on a GPU capable of several times the speed? Sounds like a cheap and quick cash in and consumers don't need to be encouraging this.

The Xbox Chronicles of Riddick rarely, if ever, stutters and aliasing isn't a problem.

2. If the AA isn't working, it hasn't been well tested if this turns out to be a common problem.

That's just it; this hasn't turned out to be a "common problem". No review sites have mentioned this. I've yet to see any other consumers mention this, either.

Again, why should the fact that other games come out broken mean that we should accept it and just be thankful that the damn thing doesn't blow our computer up, spit in our burger and have an affair with our wife/girlfriend ?

Yet again; this is the first week of release. Name one PC game in the past decade that has been flawless upon release for everyone. If this is the worst flaw that comes up in the first week, they've done better than 95% of all other publishers in the PC industry.

God yes, even with uber hardware, it was slow and choppy...hence my point...

The shadowing engine in Halo isn't half as complicated as the one in Chronicles of Riddick.

WickedAngel said:
The Xbox Chronicles of Riddick rarely, if ever, stutters and aliasing isn't a problem.

This is the point. The XBox has a slightly modified GF3 being driven by what is basically a 733Mhz Celeron. I used to have a GF3 Ti500/1800+ and my current 6800Ultra/3400+ gets more than NINE times the performance in 3DMark03, though of course the GF3 couldn't run all the tests. A top end PC should indeed be running what is essentially a previous gen game at 1600x1200 with 4XAA and 16xAF.

To be honest, I played the game on the XBox and I'm not particularly interested in playing it on my PC, but I'm curious to know if other people are finding it runs poorly on high spec hardware.

HL2 or CoR, I think that all developers have a duty to properly test a product before distribution. Why the hell should I have to download a patch on a product I've payed for because they sold me something that was broken.

Ok... I figured out part of the problem.

AA works.. but just not when Shader 2.0++ is selected (which was my default for the video card). I brought it down to Shader 2.0 and can now run 1600x1024 with 4xAA.

It does help somewhat with the shimmer/crawl.... but it still is annoying.

However, I think that might be a driver issue and not the game engine.

Wazoo

I'm getting this game for Christmas, so I have to wait a bit.

Please do us all a favor and keep us posted on what becomes of this! :)

Back