Anti Virus?

Vyper

n00b
First off, if there is a thread somewhere with the info I am looking for, I apologize, for I could not find it. I personally do not use AntiVirus myself, but I constantly have people ask me my opinion on what they should get. I never know what to tell them, because I don't use a product. I see a lot of mixed emotion, and I just thought I would poll the [H]ard community for their opinion.

So?

Panda....Norton....McAfee?

If they are total n00bs with computers, I would suggest Microsoft's OneCare Live. If they know their way around a computer, NOD32.

MajorDomo said:
If they are total n00bs with computers, I would suggest Microsoft's OneCare Live. If they know their way around a computer, NOD32.
I bought OneLiveCare for my wife's tower and her laptop. It works for her, and is easy to use. It's a little too bloated for me, but the fact you get all maintenance in one app is nice for the masses.

im a fan of the free avg. it takes care of its self, and its free.

Another vote for AVGFree.

P.S. What kind of guy dosen't use any anti virus, yet is asked for computer advice. Get AVGFree for yourself.

Another vote for AVGFree.

P.S. What kind of guy dosen't use any anti virus, yet is asked for computer advice. Get AVGFree for yourself.

Getting a Virus generally involves the user from agreeing to something, or going somewhere they shouldn't. This include opening emails they dont trust, or visiting sites that are of poor reputation. IF I get a virus, I research what the virus does, and manually remove it. My firewall takes care of the rest. I have known quite a few people that also don't use Anti-Virus. It isn't toally necessary to be honest.

On a side note, AVG appears to be the consensus. I wonder if that is because its A) Good or B) Free.

My main concern is that if money isnt really an object, or if they were all free would one rise above AVG? Ive been reading reviews while at work tonight. I thought Panda was everyones favorite....

im diggin avast! right now. and its free too.

i once had a virus avg wouldn't remove. it would detect it, but wouldn't remove. so i moved away from it.

Vyper said:
First off, if there is a thread somewhere with the info I am looking for, I apologize, for I could not find it. I personally do not use AntiVirus myself, but I constantly have people ask me my opinion on what they should get. I never know what to tell them, because I don't use a product. I see a lot of mixed emotion, and I just thought I would poll the [H]ard community for their opinion.

So?

Panda....Norton....McAfee?
.... :rolleyes:

anyway,
paid: NOD32 (unless the user is not good with computers), or kaspersky although I only have limited experience with kaspersky.

free: AVG is good, but scans are slow and noticable. Better than nothing though. Also I hear Avast and AntiVir are good too.

paid ones listed above are better than the free ones

NOD32 is amazing. By far the fastest scanner, uses low resources too. Updates automatically every hour (I usually notice at least a few updates a day). Any file you open or site you visit will be automatically scanned (as long as it's not a huge file).. prevents problems from occurring.

edit: OneCare is a great price, think it's like $30 for up to 3 PCs. And it's simple to use. But I don't have much experience with it so I'm not sure how well it performs.

Why does everyone react this way? The need of antivirus for someone who knows what they are doing is very minimal. If you find something, remove it yourself. I mean honestly, there has to be more people here on [H]ard like me that do not use anti virus, because there is no need.

Edit: On a side note, it appears NOD32 is ahead by leaps and bounds, and from what ive read about it, its definitions seem miles ahead of everyone else. Plus low sys req is also an important factor.

I think alot of people feel there is a need, because you could very well have a virus or other types of general badness on your machine and not know it. I mean, I personally do not dig through every single file on my machine on a daily basis looking for shit that is not supposed to be there, I let my a/v do that for me. I find it alot easier and less time consuming, but that's just me.

Vyper said:
Why does everyone react this way? The need of antivirus for someone who knows what they are doing is very minimal. If you find something, remove it yourself. I mean honestly, there has to be more people here on [H]ard like me that do not use anti virus, because there is no need.
Most people on here who "know what they are doing" know WHY every computer connected to the internet needs AV software. It's always funny when people say they don't need it because they know what they are doing. The only thing it shows is that those people don't know all the various ways virii can infect and replicate. Given the quality, free AV software packages out there, it's absolutely insane NOT to have one running.

Vyper said:

Edit: On a side note, it appears NOD32 is ahead by leaps and bounds, and from what ive read about it, its definitions seem miles ahead of everyone else. Plus low sys req is also an important factor.

Think of using a computer on the net or in accessing files like having sex.

just because you know what you are doing (or doing with whom) doesn't mean you can't catch a STD

the whole point of the AV is for those occasions that slip through yr arrogant ego

Lots of animosity against those that don't use an AV. I run one, and have never had a virus. I could uninstall it today and never have to worry about a virus. Surf smart and you can be safe, I know, I've seen me do it.

And that's a common fallacy, that surfing smart makes you 100% safe. I really wish people would just read on some security sites about all the various methods virii can get through. If everyone did that, we wouldn't need these silly debates.

"browsing safe" doesn't mean you are invincible. Even if you do have an anti virus, and you do browse safe, there's still a chance. Using an anti virus lowers that chance by a lot, usually. Especially with scanners which use advanced heuristic detection, they can detect malicious activity without updated definitions, in case there are new virus spreading.

and wasn't there a batch of ipods that were shipped with a worm on it recently? There was also the McDonalds mp3 player virus/worm/trojan/whatever it was too.
I know it's not big, but it is an example of how they can spread even if it's not connected to the internet.

I use AntiVir. Used to used AVG but it was too slow for my liking.

eeyrjmr said:
Think of using a computer on the net or in accessing files like having sex.

just because you know what you are doing (or doing with whom) doesn't mean you can't catch a STD

the whole point of the AV is for those occasions that slip through yr arrogant ego

You do know that this is defined as trolling, right? This is meant to be an honest discussion about the various Anti-Virus products out there. You all would of done a lot better to just provide opinions about the software, rather than opinions about me. Clearly its an isse we could debate about, but since numerous posters have already condemned me as an invalid because of my remarks.

To those of you that gave me constructive feedback, and pointed me in a good direction: Thank You. I appreiate it, and I will be encouraging NOD32 in the future.

-Vyper

running a pc without an Anti-Virus is like having sex without a condom. Something could happen...or nothing...most viruses I've gotten are normally from weird things or torrents.

Vyper said:
Thank You. I appreiate it, and I will be encouraging NOD32 in the future.

-Vyper
Good choice, sir! A little money to lessen the potential of losing data is a fair compromise.

And for n3g471v3 d3c1b3l: how annoying is it to type (I pasted) your username? :p

I am a reseller for NOD32 and give discounts for it for the [H] members.

Check out my sig for prices.

Back