Anti Virus for Home network

vage

2[H]4U
Hey everyone. I am trying to figure out what kind of anti virus software to run on my new computer. My school gives out free copies of McAfee Virus scan enterprise edition, so its hard for me to NOT go with that. However, if there truly is something else that will knock my socks off, I don't mind paying a little money for it. I noticed that everyone talks a lot about Nod32, but is it really worth it over free McAfee? Suggestions galore welcome!

Avast! home is free and very good.
Comparable to NOD32.

I recommend aol's free active virus shield

http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/index.adp?

before you swear it off because it is by aol keep in mind that it is based on kaspersky, which is one of the highest rated anti-virus packages out there.

Its free, it works, it doesn't waste many resources and the interface is easy to use.

EDIT< i guess that aol dosn't offer it anymore...

LAME SAUCE

I change my recommendation to NOD32. my school gives out mcafee too and its crap

Nod32 seems to be the way to go. If I download the trial version, then decide to buy it, can I just download it or do I HAVE to get the retail version shipped to me?

BTW, compslckr, I'm from CT too! I didn't know eastern gave out free copies of McAfee, now I know its crap :-p. j/k

Free...Antivir...it's very light, and very strong in detection.
Avast...while it's sorta decent in detection..it's very heavy
AVG has just falled down in protection, medium weight.

Note that, while many are free..technically the offer is only for 1x home PC.

If you feel like paying for...
Kaspersky and NOD32 stand far above the rest of the crowd.

I ended up buying Nod32 and love it. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Eset Smart Security is the one to get nowadays. Basically NOD32 v3 on steroids, it's the complete package now for keeping your machine(s) safe.

NOD32 v3 is also ready to roll, but the additional benefits of the Smart Security suite now get my highest recommendation. Still fast, still lean, still the best AV software available, and now with malware protection also.

As for the AOL stuff metioned earlier, yes it's based on Kaspersky, but like Symantec, AOL ruins everything they touch, period.

NOD32 v3 is also ready to roll, but the additional benefits of the Smart Security suite now get my highest recommendation. Still fast, still lean, still the best AV software available, and now with malware protection also.

I've been using the v3 Beta for a month or so now... and it's not bad. I just dont like the new "over-simplified" interface. Maybe there will be a more "pro" version other than what is in the Beta. But what I really dont like is that you can't see any information on what is getting scanned, like in v2x.
:(

ahh, i thought it was always McCrapppy. didnt know they were actually using some good AV for once.

If you're feeling gutsy, you can set up a ClarkConnect gateway with DansguardianAV. Then, all the scanning gets done before the files hit your network. I love running no AV software on my computers. Everything happens at the server side.

Of course, I recommend AVG if that's not your kind of thing.

If you're feeling gutsy, you can set up a ClarkConnect gateway with DansguardianAV. Then, all the scanning gets done before the files hit your network. I love running no AV software on my computers. Everything happens at the server side.

Of course, I recommend AVG if that's not your kind of thing.

I do plan on doing something like that in the future. But right now my "network" consists of my new PC, a Powerbook G4, and a Linux box that I'm not sure what to do with right now. Eventually when I move in about a month I'll start setting things up better and actually make a nice network but for right now I'm just looking for some protection for my pc.

Is there an extra charge for the Smart Security version?

Eset Smart Security is the one to get nowadays. Basically NOD32 v3 on steroids, it's the complete package now for keeping your machine(s) safe.

As for the AOL stuff metioned earlier, yes it's based on Kaspersky, but like Symantec, AOL ruins everything they touch, period.

If your an existing user, go here and you can install the upgrade over your existing install for free.

If your an existing user, go here and you can install the upgrade over your existing install for free.

ESS is "extra $"..as it's the full antivirus and software firewall suite. NOD32 version 3..the antivirus product alone, so it's 2x totally different products.

Eset as always allowed existing users to upgrade to the newer program components of the same product for free..that's part of the license...always have the latest program. So NOD32 2.7 users will get upgraded to NOD32 3.0, and shortly after a newer program version is released...it comes down through automatic updates anyways. Just like with prior versions, 2.5 ==> 2.7. But...ESS is an entirely different package, it's a full internet security suite. Current NOD32 antivirus users will need to purchase an upgrade to use that product.

Back