Anti-Overclocker's thoughts

then why does BFG and eVGA sell us OC video cards?why do i get extra 3Dmark points and more FPS in FEAR when i OC the hell out of everything. obviously this guys computer is a vaccume tube with punchcards

Yes, overclocking is so bad because when I jumped .4 GHz on my proc and OC'ed my 6800GS, I gained nearly 100 points in 3DMark05.

[/sarchasm]

A2TheRizzo said:
Yes, overclocking is so bad because when I jumped .4 GHz on my proc and OC'ed my 6800GS, I gained nearly 100 points in 3DMark05.

[/sarchasm]

The problem with knee-jerk replies like this (not meaning to pick on you) but the rampant synthetic benchmark results spewing out 'oh so why did my [insert benchmark here] go up when I overclocked' doesn't really help matters.

The really rabid anti-anything folks will always have a (typically tinfoil hat associated) theory as to who, why, or how you are given the false impression from some big company trying to pull the wool over your eyes and steal you hard earned money, etc etc blah blah. I'm sure when presented with anything short of factual examples (ie; not synthetic benchmarks like 3dmark, et al) this would be a likely response.

An educated and well worded response to the specifics rather than synthetic or semi-synthetic benchmarks is a much better rebuttal to the OP's friends misinformed views.

I overclock my processor, it goes faster, stuff performs better, thats why I overclock. I render fast, games run better, system is more responsive.

As far as lifespan? Components always outlast their useful lifespan. It is not an issue for me. I spent 450, proc+cooler to achieve processor speeds faster than an 1100 dollar processor, thats worth it. Overclocking rules.

Patman,

Good point. Also think about this. If your chip dies out in 2 year time because of overclocking, it won't be worth that much anyways, so it's not so big a deal.

Captin Insano said:
As I would agree that This guy is about as full of shit as anyone here. I find it amazingly funny of all the people here that think the FX line of CPU's are nothing, but yet have to continually compare against them. Even though you may be able to OC that 144 or 146 or 165 to those STOCK levels of FX speeds the FX series of cpu still can go much further for the most part when those other chips just wont. still making the FX cpu's faster and why they are more money. Dont think im knocking anyone. Just pointing out something funny to me. Heck I have more CPU's they a guy should probably have. Just like I said found it interstingly funny of the comparison.

Eh, the ceiling on those FX chips isn't THAT much higher, a hundred or so Mhz more *yawn*.... doesnt justify a 3 fold increase in price for 4 or 5 more fps, lol

Only when Conroe or AMDs next gen are out will FX/EE make sense, b/c they will have thigns like more features/more cache, things u cant get on the regular chips when u OC...

kinda hard to justify an FX/EE purchase now uness u want Hyperthreading with the EE

You should have him listen to Kanye's school skit tracks. Does he only have A+ or something? Certifications look good to employers, but they don't really mean that much. I'd say that most overclockers would do well in the A+ certifcation test w/o studying.

My ECE prof agrees that overclocking is good, but its also good that not everyone can do it so that AMD/Intel don't lower their max clock to advertised clock ratios. When I was getting an internship, a lot of people were interested in overclocking and overclocking became a common topic among computer engineers.

Oh, and I o/c so I can play games. Pre-overclock, my games run too laggy and its definately noticable ocing my Athlon 2100+ to enough to run modern games w/o lag.

That guy has his head in the sand.

Anyway, I used to own a nice A64 Winnie 3000+. I had it on stock for a bit and I was happy because it was better than my P4 Northwood. Well, I decided to grab a Zalman and OC one day, went from 2.0GHz to 2.7GHz. Guess what? My load times for games actually decreased by quite a bit and I gained more than 10 fps in a lot of physics-intensive games like F.E.A.R. I also lost the stuttering I would get in those games after loading/during intense fighting scenes. I began to enjoy games a lot more. Even basic tasks like music editing became less of me waiting for the pc and more of the pc waiting for me. It was obviously better. I had my brother, who is pc-incompetent, compare the two blindly. He said the OC was way more responsive.

I picked up an FX-55 on eBay for cheap [roughly $250, some guy was selling over 300 of them], OC'd it to 3GHz on water, HTT at 2200MHz, RAM at about 250MHz, and finally OC'd my 7800GT. My 3D Mark 06 score increased by 400, I noticed faster load times, I noticed that any video/music editing no longer stuttered, and I noticed my 3DS render times drop considerably. Does it provide a noiceable performance increase? Hell yes.

In 5 years I will have already upgraded - hell in two I will have for sure. Besides, dramatic decreases in the lifetimes of chips come from increasing the voltage. The lifetime reduction is not so severe when you don't increase the vCore. I've raised mine by .05v and temperatues haven't increased more than 4C. Is that going to kill my proc anytime soon? No. It sure didn't when I OC'd my Northwood [still running!]

I cringed when I read his reasons for not overclocking. He's one of those people living in the cave, as the old allegory goes - he doesn't want to see the light :p

i didn't bother reading all the responses, because i seem to have a different take on it than most people

why do i overclock..

well, it's kinda hard to explain, but think of it this way... why do people play games? it's fun right? that's roughly how i equate my feelings towards overclocking

IT'S DAMN FUN

i don't care if it kills my parts, this is a risk i have accepted, and is minimal risk in most cases
i don't care about the performance, as i don't do much more than run benches. no gaming for me ;)

how bout... its a hobby? i saw a great description of a hobby the other day. sad thign i cant remember it but i should. how do you explain stamp collecting? archery? model making? painting? they are hobbies. you do hobbies to feed yer interests, concentration and happiness. i OC cuz its me time. and i like to win! so i get to do both a neat lil package i call my hobby.

The OP's friend is talking out his ass. One of those poeple that has been bull-shitting for so long he starts to fabricate his own facts based on a very limited understanding.

another charicter that should be drug out in the street and shot . how could he say theres not a difference... imbicile

I didn't mean to have a negative response. I'm just saying, although you may not see the performance increase, you know it's there.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i didn't bother reading all the responses, because i seem to have a different take on it than most people

why do i overclock..

well, it's kinda hard to explain, but think of it this way... why do people play games? it's fun right? that's roughly how i equate my feelings towards overclocking

IT'S DAMN FUN

i don't care if it kills my parts, this is a risk i have accepted, and is minimal risk in most cases
i don't care about the performance, as i don't do much more than run benches. no gaming for me ;)

QFMFT

OP's "pal" is smoking something strong. I want to get in touch, and sell whatever that guy is smoking...its obviously some variant of LSD or something :D

I never said he was my pal, just someone I was talking to. Here's some fuel for the fire....

Me - I posted alot of your thoughts/statements/questions about overclocking
Me - All of them were addressed/answered
Me - Was kind of a free for all though 0_o

Him - Well, post the same questions in a forum where they dont like oc'ing :)

this dude is a gimp.....

ive overclocked my cpu from 2.2ghz to 2.7ghz and i can see a huge difference and my games run quite a bit quicker too..well smoother

LoserXLeet said:
I never said he was my pal, just someone I was talking to. Here's some fuel for the fire....

Me - I posted alot of your thoughts/statements/questions about overclocking
Me - All of them were addressed/answered
Me - Was kind of a free for all though 0_o

So take his thoughts and post them on a forum such as SH/SC on Somethingawful or the like - where you have a wider base of interests both - including those both for and against OC'ing computer hardware. I'm sure int he end even the naysayers will side with the logical facts that we've discussed here, and refute the 'facts' (heavy emphasis on the quotation) that he's throwing out.

LoserXLeet said:

It's not a matter of likes and dislikes, its a matter of facts.

That's the most ignorant rebuttal I've ever heard. He just told you to ask people who might be less technically inclined to see if they might agree with him. Does he have any response to what we've said here? If so, let's hear it, from him preferably. If not, then this thread is over as far as I'm concerned..

I don't understand his arguments. If you could ask him to register here and post a more coherent version, I'm sure we would all appreciate it. :)

Bona Fide said:
I don't understand his arguments. If you could ask him to register here and post a more coherent version, I'm sure we would all appreciate it. :)
agreed :cool:

i think he stated it reduces lifespan like 6 times

meh, waht does he expect, this is the OC section, my god. I personally have mixed feelings. I am pro OC, but only on parts that I can risk to lose. as long as you follow the rules, you should be OK. my PC is for school, and is mission critical (anyone wanna write a 20 page paper ;) )
-Don't OC a mission critical PC.
-Don't do anything really stupid, like taking off the HS while Oc'ing
-have fun

Hmm, my 2.7Ghz AMD Athlon 64 3700+, My old AMD Athlon XP 2700+, my really old AMD K6-3D have something to say about that and it's J-A-C-K-A-S-S. Or as I'd like to put it, that guy made a total ass of himself.

my PC is for school, and is mission critical (anyone wanna write a 20 page paper )

I think a "pro OC" should be able to OC something stable enough to handle a 20 page word file...LOL, jk/ with ya bro..

I consider overclocking a hobby, plain and simple.

For every person who argues economics, I think you'll find a person who isn't factoring in his/her time building/testing/maintaining the rig as a cost.

In terms of overall cost, it is cheaper for me to just buy the faster hardware, quite honestly, which is why I consider overclocking a hobby at best.

And as a hobby, you don't have to argue it or defend it. If you enjoy overclocking then more power to you and good luck in your hobby.

Retsam said:
It pretty much is free. Think about it. Most opty 165's these days do 2.6ghz at the very least, which is the speed of an FX60 which costs $900-$1000.... Ive seen many opty 165's sell for $240-$280 used lately. New for like $280 as well. The speed of a $1000 cpu for $280 + price of a decent heatsink = Pretty much FREE? Cant beat that.

Some of us don't place the dollar value of $0 on our time. :)

Talonz said:
It's not a matter of likes and dislikes, its a matter of facts.

That's the most ignorant rebuttal I've ever heard. He just told you to ask people who might be less technically inclined to see if they might agree with him. Does he have any response to what we've said here? If so, let's hear it, from him preferably. If not, then this thread is over as far as I'm concerned..

rofl that sounds about right to me. :D :p

"Hmm the people didint agree with me? find new people!" :confused:

:p
eastvillager said:
I consider overclocking a hobby, plain and simple.

For every person who argues economics, I think you'll find a person who isn't factoring in his/her time building/testing/maintaining the rig as a cost.

In terms of overall cost, it is cheaper for me to just buy the faster hardware, quite honestly, which is why I consider overclocking a hobby at best.

And as a hobby, you don't have to argue it or defend it. If you enjoy overclocking then more power to you and good luck in your hobby.
I agree on the hobby front. OC'ing is one of my hobbies. That being said, it would take a whole lot of hours tweaking my rig to recover the over $500 difference between my CPU and an FX-55 that is comparable speed wise. When I do freelance repairs for people, I usually just charge them like $25 or $30 per hour, and I could easily re-create my OC in 1/2 hour if I ordered a brand new set of components.

Once you have a truly stable OC, there's no more maintanence. You just turn it on and it works like it would at stock. Except for those of you who are hard core and have dry ice in your basements and are building your own phase change and all that-there's some serious time in those pursuits (and skill don't get me wrong).

There is a whole sub-genre of "budget" oc'ers like me and I would venture to guess that most of us who are any good can get an oc fast enough that it has a really favorable performance/price/time ratio.

Let's also not forget that for the "buying the higher-end components actually saves money by saving time" argument to work one would have to be doing something profitable instead of overclocking. Watching Zoog Disney doesn't count as saving money. :D

I believe theres like 3-4 points all differently saying that it reduces the lifespan of your CPU...depends how much voltage you put in. Sure it does, but like going from 5 years of your CPU to 3 years isnt going to make that much of a difference if you upgrade every year...and i also find some of his points to be really stupid. I think hes just a failed OCer :p

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=75175

Boom baby! 2.75Ghz, and guess what? It gave me a 10+ FPS increase in Counter-Strike Source. Check out my E-Penis:
E_PENIS.jpg

yeah... good times, good times... :D

kunsunoke said:
You missed some of the posts we used to throw up in the Soapbox. Ah, yes, I remember when....

/me reminisces about the good old days with Asmo, Slay, Enkafan, Uncle Milty, etc.

Self-abuse, perhaps?

this dude hes got to be jokeing ?

well i expected
'you can't overclock because your dileuthium crystals will burn out sooner "--LOL ;)

I think as long as you have the hardware that can handle it, I don't see a problem with overclocking. I just built my system last week (A8N32-SLI, X2 4400, 2gb Mushkin PC4000, 7900GTX, Scythe Ninja) with the sole purpose of overclocking (I've never overclocked my rig before). I spent a little extra to ensure that I can do it safely and won't fry anything in the process. Stock, my X2 runs at 2200mhz (11x200) but I quickly changed that to 2550mhz (10x255). I see a difference in overall speed of the system and all the benchmarks I put the thing through. Stock, I was runnin mid 39's in the 1M Super Pi test. Now, I run mid 33's. My 3dMark 05 score went up around 1000 points. Everything just happens faster. All the while, I never increased the voltage on my CPU and it's temperature has never gone above 40 degrees C. My memory is rated for 2.8v but I only have to feed it 2.7 to get it to run at those speeds. I enabled CoolBits with my 7900GTX and only have it running at the "optimal detected speed" (670+/1800+) and the temp never gets anywhere near the "danger zone". If you do a little research, and spend a little extra money to make your system near bullet proof, I think overclocking is perfectly safe.

Back