Anti-malware/virus apps.

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
I have Malwarebytes for getting rid of malware, and I have Microsoft Security Essentials for virus protection, but should I install any other apps are is that really all I need?

I'd suggest something other than MSE. Given the detection rate reported by review/third party sites, you can do much better with something like AVG, Avira or Avast.

Yup MSE isn't recommended anymore.

Shame you weren't shopping 6 months ago...all the AV companies were doing 50-75% off all their wares. I picked up Vipre Net Security lifetime for $50.

Newegg has AV's on sale on a regular basis. If you watch for the sales you can typically get them free or next to free.

I use ESET for my anti-virus. It's ranked much higher than Microsoft's own program.

Are paid anti-virus apps much better now? I remember in the past they'd install lots of bloatware and crap and actually make your computer run worse.

Are paid anti-virus apps much better now? I remember in the past they'd install lots of bloatware and crap and actually make your computer run worse.

Viper doesn't do anything to my SIG system performance

OTOH Viper didn't play at all well with the paid version of MBAM.

Some still can. Every machines I've seen recently with McAfee seems to be pretty bogged down until I uninstall McAfee. Symantec/Norton seems to be better than it was a few years ago. Eset I've never seen be hard on system resources.

You can find testing from 3rd parties where they review the resource usage of the different AV products. AV Comparitives does it I believe.

Free AV's are typically Malware/Virus protection only, where paid is that + extra's. I've never seen a product where the free version uses a different scanning engine than their paid counterpart.

Back