Anti-glare coating vs. Glossy finish

Chilly, amen to your post. I hate the glossy MBPs but I suppose if they can make money off of a new trend to the masses, well, wait, that IS what they do ;-). Just kidding, Apple makes some very serious products as I own a MBP and G5 as well. Glossy isn't my style. I can see how it looks cool, but Chilly explained it just as it needed. If you are doing professional stuff, don't go with this stuff.

Just one of the quotes found in my research:

...I own a world class audio and video studio...
Since my main use was to be DVD and Film and Video, as well as Photos and graphic design, I ordered another, this time with the Glossy screen. I must admit, i was skeptical about this decision, but figured that I had the matte finish if it was not going to work.
First of all, the glare is absolutely not an issue, even outdoors where I do use it quite frequently. The brightness of the screen overpowers any thought of interfering with your view. And I am one, that when you can refocus your eyes, and see the lights or objects around you, that seriously bothers me.

The colors seemed to look about the same, but the contrast ratio was noticeably better. As well as the video black shots or letterbox bars on the screen. This was definitely the choice for my work. But the real decision came when I saw how well the work that I had done, translated to other sets, projectors, and film. This was all very acceptable and a far better improvement to the matte finish, that made you want to overcompensate to achieve the same results in blacks.

Mirror mirror on the screen, who is the most beautiful tft owner?

Anti-glare for me.

Another vote for Glossy.

I was fortunate enough to have the closest Circuit City to me stocked with the different 22" LCD's I was looking to buy. The Samsung, HP, Acer, and other brands were connected directly to several HP by DVI. Now I've been up and down on this forum reading about the different LCD's and how glossy compared to anti-glare.

So after about an hour of playing with all the different LCD's, looking at the preinstalled pictures on Vista, playing around with the contrast and brightness settings I came to a conclusion. No matter what I did to the anti-glare LCD's they came short of the HP in terms of color and sharpness. Colors are just richer and the blacks are more deeper.

The gloss did bother me at first while at the store but once I got it back to my place I haven't had any problem at all with the gloss. Matter of fact I forget it's a glossy screen until I turn off the computer and see my reflection. :cool:

I just returned from a short excursion to BB and CC. I saw the HP monitors with glossy finished and decided they're not for me. They had a ripply texture to them. HP had a "Touch Screen PC" with a perfectly smooth glass finish I could live with, though.

Sony has the same smooth glass on their "glossy" notebooks, but no LCD monitors to look at. I'd like to know what kind of finish is on the "Opticlear" NEC or "Tru Life" Dell.

Back