Anti-Earthquake Bed

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Dec 16, 2015.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

Have you guys seen this anti-earthquake bed? Either this is a genius idea or technology gone seriously wrong. I'll let you guys decide which. :)

2. evilsofa

evilsofa [H]ardForum Junkie

I think you are much more likely to be injured or killed by such beds malfunctioning during false alarms than you are during an earthquake.

3. Gorankar

Gorankar [H]ardForum Junkie

Vigorous sex would likely trigger the stupid thing. Kind of a neat idea otherwise. You are already in your coffin when get buried under tons of rubble.

4. phoffman

phoffman n00b

Hand or foot hanging over the edge? its gone.

5. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

I counter with pro-earthquake bed

[​IMG]

6. mnewxcv

mnewxcv [H]ardness Supreme

uh....

7. EODetroit

EODetroit [H]ard|Gawd

And in other news, there was one fatality after yesterday's 3.0 earthquake, when a 29 year old woman was decapitated by the protective armor of her earthquake-proof bed. Now here's Jillian with the weather.

8. Merc1138

Merc1138 2[H]4U

But hey, at least that 29 year old woman had a supply of food, water, and... health packs?(seriously was that supposed to be multiple first aid kits?) with a mattress in the way.

9. LurkerLito

LurkerLito 2[H]4U

ROFL...these are the bed that can protect you from earthquakes, but if you die from the mechanism or the earthquake they can also be your coffin.

10. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

My guess? Art-school project. No company in the world would build this. Too much liability for loss of life or injury. I have a much cheaper solution. If you don't like earthquakes, move. There are plenty of places that get very few earthquakes.

11. Betaboy1983

Betaboy1983 [H]ard|Gawd

What the hell... Thank goodness they have so many varieties and continue to show some supplies under each mattress. I want the fireproof/waterproof model with a tornado sensor, just to make sure I cover all my bases.

12. Nettwerk

Nettwerk 2[H]4U

Your not gonna want to use any of those products under the bed when your pissing and shitting all over them waiting

13. Silentbob343

Silentbob343 [H]ard|Gawd

lol, please god let that be his parents bedroom.

14. CRaschNet

CRaschNet Limp Gawd

Oh Fuck. There are no CO2 scrubber. Good luck surviving without O2.

15. evilsofa

evilsofa [H]ardForum Junkie

The water bottles, once emptied, will contain the urine, and the food packs will be resealable to contain the feces.

16. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

Yeah but at least you can drink the 400 liters of water in there while you die of slow asphyxiation in a private hell of your own feces and urine. And likely while bleeding out because the bed cut off your hand or foot when it triggered.

17. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

Presuming the bed was triggered, the building likely collapsed around you. Thus meaning you and the bed and you were both injured when the floor collapsed. Now you are hurt and are now laying at a weird angle were peeing into a bottle or shitting into a tiny box isn't easy.

18. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Limp Gawd

So when the bed encapsulates you, gf or wife, the mattress, all the bedding, maybe a couple pets, how the fuck are you supposed to get the supplies underneath all that? Its a god damned tomb.

19. griff30

griff30 I Lower the Boom!

Aside from loosing any limb or decapitation from a body part that sticks over the side, I can see some serious PTSD lawsuits arising from normal intercourse, sonic booms, or a bed trigged from not getting routine maintenance.
    So yeah, other than those edge cases, its a good idea..

20. Term-X

Term-X 2[H]4U

Folded up, to prolong your suffering towards death as you think of all the supplies under your mattress that you can't get to because you are a taco.

21. The mattress AND whatever platform was holding the mattress up.

Yay! I'm dying of dehydration, but it's okay! There's water less than a foot from me that I just can't get to!

22. John1701

John1701 [H]Lite

Maybe a poor choice for earthquakes but the concept might be useful as a mini 'panic room' in certain countries or areas.

23. Tweak42

Tweak42 Gawd

By the title I'm wondering how a bed is supposed to stop / deter an earthquake .....
    Design is a basically your tomb.

If you really need assurance from earthquake harm, move to a lower building built to resist earthquake damage.

24. EchoWars

EchoWars Limp Gawd

25. cptnjarhead

cptnjarhead Crossfit Fast Walk Champion Runnerup

So, when the mattress lowers into the box, with all the supplies underneath, how do you get to them?
    Why not just make the bedroom itself a safe room, reinforced walls and supplies.

26. Tuxon86

Tuxon86 Limp Gawd

Since fire is many time a byproduct of earthquake, how will this bead protect you from the intense heat while the house burn around you. Even asbestos suit only protect you from the heat for a few minutes...

27. Valset

Valset [H]ardness Supreme

water, food, and other supplies. let me think here.....

what do you do when you have to go to the bathroom in this thing?
    Air supply? your going to be under a lot of ruble.
    and as above it looks dangerous

28. amddragonpc

amddragonpc [H]ard|Gawd

Instant coffin if I've ever seen one.

29. FndTheRver

FndTheRver Gawd

7 words...

A solution in need of a problem.

30. AK0tA

AK0tA Gawd

Yep I see lots of loss of limbs and life with this but hey If I could just put a small gaming system in there I might make it like a weekend retreat. Now I can see adding some all terrain tracks, a periscope, lights and a few other tasty items to make it like a rover that can drive you to a safe location.

31. TechLarry

TechLarry Can't find the G Spot

Bed, by Hadley Watson.

32. rhexis

rhexis [H]ard|Gawd

i hope that thing has a/c because if this happens in the summer its going to be hot as hell in there before you die.

33. cbutters

cbutters Gawd

also..... How the heck do you get out of there once you are in? I'd still like to have the option to be able to crawl out of there if it feels safe.

34. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

Well that was about 1:20 longer than necessary.

35. sp0x

sp0x n00b

and then it malfunctions when you are doing the do.. ow

36. sp0x

sp0x n00b

HAHAH! that's a good one, I'd like to see that anti-earthquake bed V. Rover.

37. tunatime

tunatime 2[H]4U

its our Pulowski Preservation shelter

38. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

How about a rocket that houses all the beds, at the onset of the shocks, they seal and launch, propel themselves our to a location and dump everyone out in their sealed bed - become an escape pod?

I think undergoing a low earth orbit rocket launch is better then being buried alive in a steel box under tons of rubble.

39. Advil

Advil [H]ard|Gawd

You don't get out. Notice the video of the apartment collapsing? The idea is that the weight of rubble and hopefully the fall don't kill you this way. Rescuers dig you out... the edges let in air. It's not sealed.

If it was a massive earthquake you have some supplies left intact under the bed you can consume for the first few days.

It works. The bed is still dangerous as hell, but it works.

You could do the same thing by tastefully designing a bed frame, or in-wall support structure that would also survive the building collapsing.

I really don't know how anyone would be ok even in one of those if you were on the 3rd or 4th or higher floors and the building really gives way under you. Any real free-fall and the only "softer landing" direction is the mattress. There's no way to guarantee what orientation you are going to be in when that thing hits the rubble of the lower floors.

Just unpleasant thoughts in general. :) Not a fun times product.