Anthem is ceasing development.

So how long before I can't fly around and shoot at the same 8 enemies over and over again while collecting gems I have no idea how to use or why I'd even want to....cuz admittedly the $8 bucks I paid for it was worth it for the Single Player "I AM IRON MAN" vibe it gave me. Remember, the key here is $8 bucks.

So how long before I can't fly around and shoot at the same 8 enemies over and over again while collecting gems I have no idea how to use or why I'd even want to....cuz admittedly the $8 bucks I paid for it was worth it for the Single Player "I AM IRON MAN" vibe it gave me. Remember, the key here is $8 bucks.
It came out when there was a bunch of stuff I wanted so I just snagged a few months of the Origin Play, spent the $30 or whatever, played a few months of Anthem, completed the Starwars Fallen order a few times on various difficulties, then played all the Deponia games, Jesus those depressed me. All in all, it was a good few months.

RIP

Good ideas, terrible mechanics and execution.

I don't recall the mechanics being terrible, broken progression sure but the combat and flight was enjoyable. Ideas?? like what, other than flight the ideas in anthem where borderline at best.

execution was absolutely terrible.

It was really fun through the campaign IMO.

And then it ended, and they kinda tried to make some 'endgame', which was cat poo on a barbecue.

I don't recall the mechanics being terrible, broken progression sure but the combat and flight was enjoyable. Ideas?? like what, other than flight the ideas in anthem where borderline at best.

execution was absolutely terrible.
I didn't like the limited flight time. It was miserable flying across the huge map and having to stop every couple minutes to recharge. Gunplay and power usage was pretty fun, though, even if the underlying mechanics for calculating damage were broken. I had a good time with it while it was still active. I would have loved to see what a relaunch would have been like.

I remember when this was supposed to be the “destiny killer”.

I got the game for free and played dozens of hours. Really enjoyed it but they never got a cent from me. Not surprised to see this canceled. Elite Dangerous and Warframe are other games I played allot but never cost me a cent. It's hard to grasp that there's enough kids with parent's credit cards buying virtual clothes to make enough money to support the dev. cost. I have a nephew that spent $400 in a year on fortnite hats or whatever but that can't be the majority.

I didn't like the limited flight time. It was miserable flying across the huge map and having to stop every couple minutes to recharge. Gunplay and power usage was pretty fun, though, even if the underlying mechanics for calculating damage were broken. I had a good time with it while it was still active. I would have loved to see what a relaunch would have been like.

I agree, in fact cancelling anthem kinda shows me how bereft of talent the studio is, because fixing anthem was always simple (if not easy from a technical standpoint).

1. Unlimited or nigh-unlimited flight
2. Arial combat. To balance it rather simple, when landed you have more stability and more suit power at your disposal, while in flight your power is reduced and your at risk of being shot and crashing for bonus damage plus its harder to hit things due to less stability.
3. Add in story/game content, what is the anthem, where is it coming from, bad guys and missions.

Done and done, you have a decent game at that point.

I remember when this was supposed to be the “destiny killer”.
I do and frankly, I thought that it might be before I actually played the game. I played the early access for it and quickly realized, the game had no shot of impacting Destiny's player base at all.

I do and frankly, I thought that it might be before I actually played the game. I played the early access for it and quickly realized, the game had no shot of impacting Destiny's player base at all.
Can't kill an FPS with a TPS, why people thought otherwise is beyond me.

I got the game for free and played dozens of hours. Really enjoyed it but they never got a cent from me. Not surprised to see this canceled. Elite Dangerous and Warframe are other games I played allot but never cost me a cent. It's hard to grasp that there's enough kids with parent's credit cards buying virtual clothes to make enough money to support the dev. cost. I have a nephew that spent $400 in a year on fortnite hats or whatever but that can't be the majority.
Nope, no worries he is definitely in the minority, most spend well over $400 a year.

Can't kill an FPS with a TPS, why people thought otherwise is beyond me.

I disagree with that assessment. While I can see there are differences in popularity between first and third person games with some people flat refusing to play one versus the other, I don't think that BioWare screwed up by simply trying to make a third person shooter to compete with Destiny 2 or other games in the genre. In fact, at the time that's not how I saw it at all. I thought we were going to get a cross between Warframe and Destiny 2 with BioWare's story telling on top of it. That sounded rather compelling and sounded like something I wanted to experience on paper at least. It not being a first person shooter didn't even cross my mind at all.

Reactions: TMCM
like this
I disagree with that assessment. While I can see there are differences in popularity between first and third person games with some people flat refusing to play one versus the other, I don't think that BioWare screwed up by simply trying to make a third person shooter to compete with Destiny 2 or other games in the genre. In fact, at the time that's not how I saw it at all. I thought we were going to get a cross between Warframe and Destiny 2 with BioWare's story telling on top of it. That sounded rather compelling and sounded like something I wanted to experience on paper at least. It not being a first person shooter didn't even cross my mind at all.

What I mean is they are not directly competing, I play Destiny because I want the FPS mechanics, I played Division for its realist enviroment and mechanics but a tps will never truly scratch that fps itch imo.

Anthem was more of a Division competitor.

What I mean is they are not directly competing, I play Destiny because I want the FPS mechanics, I played Division for its realist enviroment and mechanics but a tps will never truly scratch that fps itch imo.

Anthem was more of a Division competitor.
I saw it as something falling right between Destiny 2 and The Division, It didn't scratch the itch I got from either but it did it well enough that if it has been better that one could have replaced both, sadly there just wasn't enough content and really the gear mechanics oh sweet Jesus those gear mechanics, had they just done gear sets like everybody else out there and not randomized the guns so very much that alone would have been a big deal but no it took how many months to wrap their brains around that part alone.

Really that game was just killed by the right hand not talking to the left, that was poor leadership and management from top to bottom to such a degree that I can't even blame EA for it.

So this?
1614210287736.png

Not a huge surprise. EA left only a symbolic skeleton crew to "develop" the game after it turned out to be a failure and now they officially killed it because they did not manage to do anything convincing. If they even tried because, lets face it, the writing was obviously in the wall. Not a huge loss though, very few were interested in Anthem anyway. I am more sad to hear the Vampire The Masquerade 2 getting delayed indefinetly, which usually means on a verge of cancellation unless something miraculous gets figured out. I know the developement of that game has been a real clusterfuck the last couple of years with warning signs flashing all around but I was still interested and willing to give it a go.

Didn't the guy basically in charge of Anthem get put in charge of Dragon Age as well when the two big names left?

I guess Dragon Age will get shelved next?

Anthem was one of those games I could tell was going to be a failure from the start. I probably have posts somewhere on this very forum declaring that but eh, it just looked sooooo boring EXCEPT for flying around like Iron Man.

Anthem was one of those games I could tell was going to be a failure from the start. I probably have posts somewhere on this very forum declaring that but eh, it just looked sooooo boring EXCEPT for flying around like Iron Man.
Reminds me of that time ubisoft fucked up tetris. It's not quite that bad, but I still cannot fathom how any company manages to mess up a game with such an inherently awesome idea.

So far all these games that have been advertised as gaming as a service have been flopping. Which makes me pleased.

Mass Effect Andromeda devs are pulled to work on Anthem. MEA crashes, burns, and support gets dropped. Anthem releases, crashes, burns, support gets dropped. Bioware needs to just stop. As much as I like their IPs, they have not put out a good game in 10 years. (ME2) Now they are scrambing for a cash grab be remaking the ME trilogy, probably to keep EA from killing them off, and we shouldn't reward them for it.

I played the Anthem Alpha and it was fun, but didn't feel like paying for the game.

In all the news I have heard about the cancellation and failure of Anthem I have heard today the smallest ray of hope.

"EA has apparently decided to remove all multiplayer components from Dragon Age 4 and make it an exclusively singleplayer experience. "

Full article here: https://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-age-...5j4-mTUNw4GBasnyoIjt22tgyybZGC3EvwjWWJI6yogns
Gaming as a service has gotten a bad rep and it is beautiful. It is a kiss of death if mentioned by a company. It seems people are finally waking up to how bullshit MT are.

I can't figure out why EA thought it would be a good idea to have an RPG developer make a shooter.

Gaming as a service has gotten a bad rep and it is beautiful. It is a kiss of death if mentioned by a company. It seems people are finally waking up to how bullshit MT are.
I don't mind games with season passes and microtransactions, speaking as a devoted Destiny 2 player... but you also have to clearly get something if you're going to pay regularly, and microtransactions should be strictly cosmetic (as they are in D2). And importantly, the game design should warrant that approach rather than feeling like it was shoehorned into that games-as-a-service format. Anthem felt... well, like anathema to a company defined by fully contained single-player narratives.

I can't figure out why EA thought it would be a good idea to have an RPG developer make a shooter.
It's not clear that EA dictated the format from on high. The biggest issue with EA's influence was its insistence that BioWare use the Frostbite engine instead of rolling its own technology. I wouldn't be surprised if EA pushed BioWare to make a games-as-a-service shooter, but remember that work started in 2012 — the original Destiny (the template for this sort of game) didn't ship until two years later.

I grabbed it for like $5 at the end of last year I think, I really enjoyed playing it honestly. Not something I would have played a lot of, but wasn't bad.

Back