Antenna (?)

Have an N card and have been looking at remote antennas. My card has 2 antennas and I have seen a few remotes that have 3 cables. Would I be able to use something like that and only hook up 2 of them or would I be better off finding 2 smaller singles?

Im not sure of your application.. but the reason your seeing 3 antennas is because of the 3 different bands.

1 antrenna for 802.11a
2nd antenna for 802.11b/g
3rd antenna is for 802.11/n

At least thats how it was on my last install.

Then your card probably does 802.11a and 802.11 b/g

I know the d-links i buy do this, they stick 802.11a on their own antenna so you can turn it on/off and the 802.11 b/g is on a seperate antennas... so i can technically run two networks which is neat

Your card has two antennas because the n standard provides MIMO capability. Just because it has multiple antennas doesn't mean it does more than one frequency band (2.4 or 5ghz).

When an antenna has 3 cables, it means it has 3 antennas in that particular housing, not that it does 3 bands. There aren't three bands used anyway, 802.11a/n is 5ghz, and 802.11b/g/n is 2.4ghz. There are not separate bands for a, bg, and n, as was previously stated. The N standard can be a 2.4 or 5ghz if the radio supports that frequency.

Your card is a b/g/n card so it's on the 2.4ghz band. It has 2 antennas which means it does a 2x2 MIMO. Cards or routers with 3 antennas are capable of 3x3 MIMO. You can get a remote antenna that is capable of 3x3 and only use two of the elements as long as those elements are designed for the 2.4ghz range.

Looked at the specs but it only states as being able to do b/g/n. No big deal. I'll just look for 2 individual remote antennas. Thanks! :)

Make sure you get antennas in the right frequency range. Your card doesnt do 5GHz 802.11/n so you should be fine buying 2 2.4GHz external antennas... the range on that thing is 2.4GHz - 2.4835GHz

try http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/ for some antenna needs, they sell everything wireless pretty much

Thanks for the heads up. I did see that in the specs. Does the narrower range effect the signal reception efficiency? Not real familiar with the whole networking deal - just enough to make sure everything works ;)

Back