Antec Twelve Hundred downsizing.

kompulsive

Limp Gawd
I currently have an Antec Twelve Hundred for the setup listed in my signature. The thing is, it is simply huge and really unnecessary. I have two SATA hard-drives in it at the moment and eventually I plan on having two SSD disks in it and a single SATA drive. I'm building a file server to use for most of my storage, so I don't need a million drive bays.

Lastly, I have an ATI 4870X2 and it is the main reason I'm asking around for opinions. I want to switch to a more "serious" looking case (Lian Li perhaps), because I don't need a bunch of flashy blue LED lights anymore, but I'm not sure how many mid-tower cases there are out there that will accommodate a 4870X2. Any ideas?

Have you considered going to a MATX based case/mobo?

No, because it'd be basically like building a new machine at that point. I'm just looking at a minor change I suppose. For example, would an Antec Nine Hundred accommodate a 4870x2?

No, because it'd be basically like building a new machine at that point. I'm just looking at a minor change I suppose. For example, would an Antec Nine Hundred accommodate a 4870x2?

I wouldn't get a 900...or even a 902...go to Newegg and look at Lian-Li and check off midtowers and pretty much pick your poison.

A price range would help narrow that selection. The Pc-P50 is probably one of the nicest ones, and will fit the 4780x2, but is a little pricey at $159, but comes heavily armed with features, is aluminum, and looks pretty sharp too.

Another decent choice in a midtower would be the CM 690II Advanced, and is about $60 cheaper, but also has a ton of features.

Thanks for the information. I was looking at the PC-P50, but I wasn't sure if the 4870X2 would fit. I'm watching a few reviews on it now and I'm going to do the same with the CM 690II, but I'm pretty sure I'll go with the PC-P50. Although some folks on NewEgg give weak reviews to Lian Li products for stuff like "inadequate documentation," I think that when it comes down to it they are beautiful, rock-solid cases.

I wouldn't get a 900...or even a 902...go to Newegg and look at Lian-Li and check off midtowers and pretty much pick your poison.

A price range would help narrow that selection. The Pc-P50 is probably one of the nicest ones, and will fit the 4780x2, but is a little pricey at $159, but comes heavily armed with features, is aluminum, and looks pretty sharp too.

Another decent choice in a midtower would be the CM 690II Advanced, and is about $60 cheaper, but also has a ton of features.

I ended up going with the Pc-P50, but I am not finished modding it...had some money issues lol

Here's some more pics of it though, both before shots and some after. It will fit the 4870x2 no problem.

In the meantime, I have a CM 690 that I just got to hold my pc for now, and I like it a lot too. Of course the 690 II came out right after I bought which is just my luck, but my daughters pc is in need of a new case, so maybe I will get the 690II and put hers in the 690 lol

Pc-P50 Mod

yes. cuz i have an Antec 900 and a 4870 card.

So you're saying that you'd rather have a 690II than the PC-P50? Isn't the 690II around the same size as the Antec Twelve Hundred? I feel like that may be getting right back into the "huge" arena.

I ended up going with the Pc-P50, but I am not finished modding it...had some money issues lol

Here's some more pics of it though, both before shots and some after. It will fit the 4870x2 no problem.

In the meantime, I have a CM 690 that I just got to hold my pc for now, and I like it a lot too. Of course the 690 II came out right after I bought which is just my luck, but my daughters pc is in need of a new case, so maybe I will get the 690II and put hers in the 690 lol

Pc-P50 Mod

no no...the 690II is much smaller than the 1200, much smaller...it is the same size as the PC-P50...I was just saying until I am able to finish my mod, I might pick up a 690II because my daughters pc needs a new case, and I like the 690II

Sorry for the late reply!

CM 690II Specs: 20.80" x 8.40" x 20.10"

Pc-P50 Specs: 19.29" x 8.27" x 19.49"

The main reason for the difference in size, the 690II has some huge rubber feet on it, and the Pc-P50's are almost non existent...and almost need to be replaced with larger ones lol

Quick side note too, if you just want something that is cheap/small/clean and looks serious and will fit a 4870x2 you could also pick up the Antec 300, put some good fans without led's in it...it's a fantastic case as well.

300 Specs: 18.30" x 8.10" x 18.00"

300 with a 4870 in it:

16.jpg
12.jpg

Last edited:
Back