• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Antec TruePower 550w..Adequate?

w108jkw

n00b
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
3
I was wondering if my PSU is adequate for my system, the last part I have comming in is a BFG 6800 Ultra oc so I cant test it for awhile. My system specs are as follows:

MSI Neo2 K8N Platinum MB
Athlon FX-53
1gb HyperX pc-3200
WD Caviar 200gb
Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
Lite-on 16X DVD-ROM
Lite-on 52X32X52 CD-Burner
BFG 6800 Ultra OC
Antec TruePower 550 Watts

I have 3 case fans (the 3 that comes standard with the wavemaster case, 2 on lower front, 1 in the back) and I am using the stock Heatsink and fan from AMD. The system will not be overclocked at all or modified in that way.
 
w108jkw said:
I was wondering if my PSU is adequate for my system, the last part I have comming in is a BFG 6800 Ultra oc so I cant test it for awhile. My system specs are as follows:

MSI Neo2 K8N Platinum MB
Athlon FX-53
1gb HyperX pc-3200
WD Caviar 200gb
Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
Lite-on 16X DVD-ROM
Lite-on 52X32X52 CD-Burner
BFG 6800 Ultra OC
Antec TruePower 550 Watts

I have 3 case fans (the 3 that comes standard with the wavemaster case, 2 on lower front, 1 in the back) and I am using the stock Heatsink and fan from AMD. The system will not be overclocked at all or modified in that way.

I just had a brand new Antec TP 550 go to hell and take my motherboard with it. Be warned. I have a similar setup to yours but intel based.
 
IdiotInCharge said:
Fortron all the way. New 500 watter for my next rig.

I love this new Enermax 550 I just bought. It was kinda pricey but it has all the bells and whistles.
 
w108jkw said:
MSI Neo2 K8N Platinum MB
Athlon FX-53
1gb HyperX pc-3200
WD Caviar 200gb
Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
Lite-on 16X DVD-ROM
Lite-on 52X32X52 CD-Burner
BFG 6800 Ultra OC
http://takaman.jp/D/?M=PbQAQbdHhSATKTqUEkG5@BDkHkZAZavPCOP&english
+3.3V @ 2.5A
+5V @ 11.2A
+12V @ 18.4
Total Output 295.5 Watts

True Power 550 (1\3rd deducted for a 40C operating temperature)
+3.3V @ 32A - 1\3rd = 21.3A
+5V @ 40A - 1\3rd = 26.6A
+12V @ 30A - 1\3rd = 20A

so yes it will easily power your config
however you can see how alot of its capacity is geared toward powering older mobos and cards that used the +5V and +3,3V rails


>WP< $lipKnot said:
I just had a brand new Antec TP 550 go to hell and take my motherboard with it. Be warned. I have a similar setup to yours but intel based.

it was on some form of quality power conditioning? like a UPS?
if so its the exception
 
Ice Czar said:
however you can see how alot of its capacity is geared toward powering older mobos and cards that used the +5V and +3,3V rails
Strangely enough, that's exactly why I bought my Antec 550W. I overloaded a 400W "regular" Antec with a dual P3 1.0, 6 cards (Parhelia, GF2MX200 PCI, scsi, lan, SB 5.1, and TV), 3 SCSI HDs and 2 SCSI opticals. My 5V rail kept setting off alarms.
 
zandor said:
Strangely enough, that's exactly why I bought my Antec 550W. I overloaded a 400W "regular" Antec with a dual P3 1.0, 6 cards (Parhelia, GF2MX200 PCI, scsi, lan, SB 5.1, and TV), 3 SCSI HDs and 2 SCSI opticals. My 5V rail kept setting off alarms.

ah another monster builder I see :p
Ive been known to fill the slots and have RAID arrays hanging outside of my case as well :p
with the exception of my SX6000 all my arrays are now SCSI externals with their own N+1 power
(older Dot Hill SANnets)
sort of busted up all the components and distributed them around in dedicated boxes
that and so much is now intergrated
 
Ice Czar said:
it was on some form of quality power conditioning? like a UPS?
if so its the exception

Actually it wasnt on a UPS. I just got a bad one. My Enermax 651p-ve is a much better psu IMO.

I could even tell it was better quality before I installed it.
 
well the odd bad supply, even from good brands does occassionally slip through, or develop in transit from rough handling (luckily not nearly a sensative as a HDD)
but without a UPS, there is obviously some doubt about the root cause
Id hate to see a repeat with the Enermax
if it was a surge, it should have taken a bullet for the board, but only up to a point
Im glad your happy with you new supply ;)
 
Back
Top