• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Antec SuperLanboy with soul...

PeeveH

n00b
Joined
Oct 1, 2005
Messages
30
Well, where do I start? I've had an antec superlanboy for a while now but hadnt done alot with it really. I took the week of work though so i thought i'd fill the time by modding the poor thing.

I love the case, dont get me wrong but it cant be considered the most attractive case in the world. I hope what i've produced looks better which i believe it does. It's not a big mod, but a mods a mod. I don't see a whole lot of SuperLanboy mods apart from that crazy DOOM 3 one.

I started off yesterday by popping off to the local Halfords (a car shop in the uk with a big paint supply). I managed to pick up a couple of cans of spray paint for a reasonable amount of money and set off home getting ready to primer the whole lot up

I've had my set up in my case for a while now so i had to strip it. I therefore laid all the parts on my bed. Didn't seem much there but nevermind

1a.jpg


The next stage was to take the tops and sides off. I then took out the little hard drive holders as they were first on the primer list

It all went downstairs into my garage and the primering commenced.

First the hard drive holders...
1.jpg


Then i moved onto the inside of the case itself.
2.jpg


I then went and watched tv while it dried and came back and went straight to paint. The first primer coat seemed to be pretty thick so didnt see a need for a second coat.

I gave it a quick coat, then gave it a definate 2nd coat 20 minutes later.

4.jpg


This is them drying outside :)

5.jpg


This was when the mod became interesting. I noticed that i'd painted a side that i wasnt meant to paint. This made me come up with the idea of just completely painting the whole case black.

I then came up with the idea of turning the case upside down and moving the feet from the bottom to the top so i would have a completely upside down pc. Sounds stupid, probably is stupid but the end results fine so its all ok

So my next step was to start primering the outer casing. By this time, in a garage with the doors shut...i think my head was starting to go abit funny

6.jpg


It was then onto the spraying of the paint onto the casing. Which turned out pretty good considering my previous attempts to paint things.

10.jpg
 
I then let it all dry overnight last night and woke up this morning with the intention of reconnecting all the pc parts.

It dried nicely with a few patches so a few quick layers of paint and i was ready to get the gear back in the case.

and voila...

11.jpg


12.jpg


9.jpg


13.jpg



Now the real test comes...lets turn it on and see how it goes...

14.jpg


15.jpg


16.jpg



Not bad for 1 and a half days work :) I know its not as crazy as other cases people have done but it is nice to see a SuperLanboy in a different light and i like it :)

And a not to anyone that buys a SuperLanboy and then puts a decal on the window. The window isnt square so make sure you put it on the right way ...as ive learnt my lesson :D
 
black lanboy looks pretty sweet. don't know why antec never did that

one thing i'll point out is

now that your case is configured upside down - there really isn't a source for your cpu and lower part of the case to get cool air.

maybe an 5.25intake or a floor mounted intake hole ?
 
Arcygenical said:
Rotate your window 90 degrees :D.

Nice painting... What paint?

i wish i could :) would involve some form of drilling since the plastic part of the window isnt square, its a rectangle by amout 5mm :(

The paints just halfords own Black Satin. Seems to nice and matt like, just how i wanted it :)
 
stormshadow said:
now that your case is configured upside down - there really isn't a source for your cpu and lower part of the case to get cool air.

maybe an 5.25intake or a floor mounted intake hole ?

I'm open to idea's. Both of them have crossed my mind when doing this but havent really decided. I like the idea of having a 5.25 intake though as its probably less work (lazy...)
 
how bout a reverse flow case?

your graphics intake is very close to your pci slot covers - just remove the pci slot covers and your graphics card has got instant cold air.
then switch your (now upper) case fans to exhaust.

then, switch the fan that was once an exhaust to an intake right into your zalman 9500 (which you'll have to turn around).

that way, once the 'cool' air passes through your zalman, it can rise up into the new exhaust fans.

this will result in a more convential flow (cool air through the lower part and hot / exhaust through the upper part).

then, you'll truly have an upside down / backwards case setup.


like so -
reverseflow.jpg
 
the only downside i can see to my genius idea is that the PSU will be exhausting warm air and it can rise into the new "intake" fan.
 
That sounds like a great idea, and alot more practical. By the end of today i was happy with just getting everything working in there. ( kept getting disk booting error's :( )

Think i'll have a pop at trying that tomorrow. My system temps idling about 37 when it was about 30 degress so something needs to be done, thanks for the advice. :)
 
That's not a bad idea, but you need to realize that the old intake (where the HDs are) wont exhaust enough air. Blowhole at the top should correct that...
 
-Rc- said:
Nice. IMO, black cases look much sleeker than silver ones.

I'd agree with you there. I just thought that the inside being black would luck abit weird if the outside was silver :)

Lets contact Antec and see what they say :D
 
If you have access to a brake, I suggest making a new top (old bottom) for the case, so it looks like it is supposed to be upside down.
 
good call

or even just find a nice piece of anodized aluminum, or sheetmetal, or acrylic for that matter and cover the top.

and don't forget to flip the case badge around : )
 
stormshadow said:
and don't forget to flip the case badge around : )

har har, i remembered that part and that was the last thing i did :)

I don't really understand what Antec were doing putting a design on the bottom...if only the little circles werent there where the feet used to go it would make a nice top itself :)

11.jpg
 
yea - the double diamond doesn't look too bad.

you could also use the looks of the circles to your advantage by using them as locators for handles... :cool:
 
stormshadow said:
yea - the double diamond doesn't look too bad.

you could also use the looks of the circles to your advantage by using them as locators for handles... :cool:

thats pure genius!! handles would be perfect for lanning :) ah, the minds ticking over now :p
 
PeeveH said:
thats pure genius!! handles would be perfect for lanning :) ah, the minds ticking over now :p
Or put feet back in the circles and put a piece of glass on top, instant table.
 
Back
Top