Antec Sonata Mod Worklog

Hack_light said:
Looking good so far. You need to post more pics.

like i said, family visiting and stuff and not aloud to make a mess right now while they are here. When I get a chance though I will work on finishing the paintjob so i can get to the other stuff. please be patient guys, i want to finish it as much as you want to see it finished...

just a quick update... I've been very busy but today I managed to sand the case a little and paint a little more... hopefully i won't need to paint anymore once this dries, but we'll see...

if it doesn't need anymore painting/sanding, in 48 hours I will do the clearcoat

I also decided today that on the inner cage part (where cd drives mount, mobo mounts, etc...) I will paint using truck bed liner like what Brian used in part of his mod...

I'll keep you all updated as I work more on the mod. Thanks for your patience :)

Okay sorry again for the delays, family visiting, working alot, etc...

But with that said, today I was able to finally get my hands on some Dupli-Color ClearCoat, and I ClearCoated the inside of the door. So far it looks good, but I'll have to wait 48 hours for it to cure so I can sand the clea coats flat and then buff / polish.

I also sanded down the inner shell of the case because I decided to use the same Dupli-Color truck bed coating spray paint stuff that Brian found to use for part of his mod. I then sprayed off the debris, dried the inner shell, waited a while, and then sprayed the stuff on there. I ate dinner, and then put a 2nd coat of the stuff on... 2 coats of this should be plenty i think.

Now that I have made some progress, I must wait 48 hours for the paint to fully dry etc. I will be out of town again Wed-Fri. so I will not be able to work on the mod more until Saturday at the earliest. I'm supposed to have Sat. and Sun. off from work, but Pepsi may call me in this weekend if they need extra help, so we'll see how it goes.

Well, I clearcoated the inside of the door, and I sanded it nice and flat, then busted out the rubbing compound (3M Rubbing Compound II or something like that) and polishing compound (Magellan's Show Car Glaze). I did 3 passes of each compound.

The end result was, if I may say so myself, beautiful :)

Here are some pics, let me know what you think...

[will update post with images once they are uploaded]

Oh, and now that I know for sure what the end result is like with clearcoat and rubbing/polishing, I have sanded the outside of the door and clearcoated, and it has now been ~24 hours, so I will wait one more day before sanding that clearcoat and rubbing/polishing it...

I would have done the main part of the case too, but I need more Dupli-Color clear coat paint and it's tough to find around here. I will probably try to get it tomorrow, maybe today, we'll see.

sorry i forgot to come post the pics lol... here they are:

This image shows what the paintjob looks like without being sanded or anything. Just the metallic black paint nothing else.
144.jpg

This is what the paint looks like with a good layer of clearcoat on it. Clearcoat hasn't been sanded yet.
145.jpg

These pictures show how it looks after the clearcoat has been sanded, and the rubbing and polishing compounds have been used.
146.jpg

147.jpg

148.jpg

149.jpg

feedback? :)

shiny:D looks nice. are you shining the inside of the case? that's what it looks like:confused:

edit: nvm... read the post above the one with the pics. it all becomes clear now:)

CrimandEvil said:
Shiny! :D I like. Much better then the last time you posted paint stuff. ;) lol

hehe :)

Oh, and to answer the question about inside being shiny, yes the inside will be shiny too. Well, most of it. The inner cage thing is painted with truckbed coating stuff b/c it is tougher

this is truly one piece of fine art. I give mad props to you and your efforts.

I think its time to mod my Lian Li and my Shuttle SB75G2 :D

thanks for the motivation i needed.

::whips out the magic dremel and walks to garage with lian li in his hands::

Question for ya - I am just starting my Sonata mod tonight (I will post pix soon) and was thinking about the front intake (turbine) - I am considering it best to move the forward which would cost be a few 3.5 drive bays but will look better - how are you doing it?

Cheers

At the beginning of the worklog (first few pages), I talk about how I did that.

But I'll summarize here anyways... Basically first I took out the hidden 3.5" bays with my dremel. You may or may not need to do this yourself, depending on what you want. I needed to mount a radiator where those were, so that was my reasoning.

As for drilling the 120mm hole in the front, you will want to get a good holesaw with a lot of teeth (and go slow, especially on the plastic). It really isn't all that difficult to do this. It's a little scary b/c there is no turning back, but if you take your time and be careful, you'll be okay :)

I did not really phrase the question correctly - actually I wanted more specifics as to the method of attachment (specifically the screw hole location in the front of the case frame - the clearences look a bit tight.

I am considering using the frame of the lower 3.5 bay but need to find a simple way to mount the fan at the front part of the bay frame see how the fan is wider then the indented area that has vent holes - I will work more on it tonight...

if i understand correctly, i cut out that entire area you are talking about, and then mounted a steel plate via rivets to the case frame. I mounted the fan to this steel plate. Understand what I mean?

I guess we think in a similar fashion - I am attempting to save the top two bays but need to verify the dimensions - The only problem area I can see is that the frame of the 120mm fan is just slightly larger that the area to be removed - there is a small peice of metal that projects toward the inside of the case that might allow me to fashion a bracket so I can removed the fan when needed as opposed to riveting it in. See me WL post for my primary goal this week end.

Cheers

I really wanna see more progress on this mod and I'm sure I'm not the only one. You haven't abandoned things have you Kurtis? :(

R@Mo said:
I really wanna see more progress on this mod and I'm sure I'm not the only one. You haven't abandoned things have you Kurtis? :(

no i haven't abandoned it, i just have a lot going on and it's tough to find time to work on it, especially since it always seems to rain when i have time to work on it...

anyways, the paint is pretty much done, i have a couple tiny touchups to do, and then i will just be clearcoating it all and then doing the finishing touches for the paint.

but then i will be adding some stuff to the mod i didn't originally plan. I actually still have to draw out some new stuff for it. Basically what I want to do is make the inside prettier and more functional, rather than just painting it and sleeving the cables and nothing else.

i will update eventually, don't worry. i want to see it finished, too.

Just want to say great work, it's a really nice job to follow; just cant wait to see it done.

things have just gotten VERY hectic around here so i definitely won't have time in the very near future. however, i have been thinking about it more lately and i will probably go back at it from a slightly different angle, or something. I don't know what I'm going to do yet, but I will be getting back into the modding scene at the latest by this summer. sorry to be so slow guys... i know its frustrating.

Very nice mod!!! My appluase to you good sir!

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see more!

Back