• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Antec Solo - does a 8800GTX fit?

CNV

n00b
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
46
Helping a buddy build a new comp and wanted to go with something quiet that is not too big. Antec Solo seems like the best thing to fit the bill. Going to use a P5B board and a 8800GTX. I shouldn't have any issues right?

btw... can you think of any other cases that are small and quiet?
 
Yeah, thats a no-go on the GTX. I just bought a Solo myself, and my GTS has less than an inch of clearance from the HDD cage.
 
If I were you I'd just step up to the Antec P182 instead. It's about $30.00 more but I think it's a nicer case overall. Though I do like the simplicity of the Solo and I really like it's paint job.
 
If I were you I'd just step up to the Antec P182 instead. It's about $30.00 more but I think it's a nicer case overall. Though I do like the simplicity of the Solo and I really like it's paint job.

The Solo is good compromise for me personally. My 24pin wouldn't reach the plug on my mobo in the p180, so it got retired to my wife (who needed a new build anyway).
 
The Solo is good compromise for me personally. My 24pin wouldn't reach the plug on my mobo in the p180, so it got retired to my wife (who needed a new build anyway).

The P182 has been slightly redesigned and in terms of cable management and it is far superior in my opinion to it's predecessor for that reason. I never liked building machines in P180 cases, but the P182 wasn't too bad. Last night I crammed my machine into one and it was a decent experience.
 
It won't fit without modification but if you are willing to cut on your case, then it is possible.

UpCloseLarge.jpg


UpClose2Large.jpg


EmptyCaseNotchLarge.jpg


CaseMB8800GTXLarge.jpg
 
I'd rather spend $30 extra dollars on the right case than hack up the wrong one. That's just me. :)
 
I would also spend $30 more for the right case but it was already too late when I got the 8800GTX. By the way, I don't think the P18x series fits the GTX w/o the removal of the middle hard drive bay. The 182 series might have fixed that but the 180 came up a little short if I remember correctly. There is a thread somewhere around here about what cases will hold the 8800GTX and covered this question.

Hope this helps.
 
I would also spend $30 more for the right case but it was already too late when I got the 8800GTX. By the way, I don't think the P18x series fits the GTX w/o the removal of the middle hard drive bay. The 182 series might have fixed that but the 180 came up a little short if I remember correctly. There is a thread somewhere around here about what cases will hold the 8800GTX and covered this question.

Hope this helps.

You can leave the bay, but the rails have to come out. This is only for the top drive tray as well. The bottom one still clears the GTX's.
 
Yep, I can confirm that having built this system a few days ago, but I just pulled the whole bay and installed a fan. Better airflow, and I will never have enough drives to need the two slots there anyway.
 
Back
Top