• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Antec Silver Paste vs. AS 3/5

BillLeeLee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 2, 2003
Messages
13,486
Hey all, just a simple question.

I forgot to order Arctic Silver when I was ordering the parts for the comp two months back. Now, after some RMAing and stuff, I installed the CPU and heatsink (Zalman CNPS ALCU) and used Antec Silver Thermal paste as a substitute.

Are there any major differences between Arctic and Antec Silver? It's been two days since I've started running this comp, I know I'm still in the "breaking in" period of the silver paste.

Idle: 43C, Load: 55C.

Yeah, I use a Wavemaster case, so that could be kind of a factor on my temps.

Thanks for input.
 
The room temp is about 22 C (72 or so F), internal case temp is 29 C when comp is idle, it goes up to about 32C when loaded.
 
I've been keeping track of my temps at different conditions
room temps 23c
cpu 43c
at idle
Do close the box or leave it opened?
Try leaving it open and see what temp drop you get.
 
Well, I've left the box open before, and the cpu idle temp drops to 38 C or so.

Right now I'm doing artifact testing, and the CPU is 54C on load.
 
Well, I know Abit mobos read the temps by 8 - 10 C higher, but does that apply to Motherboard Monitor reading from the Abit board? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure.

All my temps are from MBM.

Thanks for all the replies so far Opus and St|ffy.
 
well, motherboard monitor would have to use the readings from the board, so I'd think they'd still be reading high. maybe there's some built-in error correction, but I doubt it.
 
as far as running your system at those temps goes your fine. IMO though you would get a substantial temp reduction if you used AS3/5 instead of antec silver which if your planning on overclocking much will help considerably.
 
Back
Top