Antec PSU Problems

ntba

Limp Gawd
Ok heres my story. The PSU I had in my main computer (see specs in sig) was an Antec 450W Smartpower 2.0, and for the 11 or so months that I had it it performed amazingly for my needs. Now about a month ago it started to make a massive grinding noise so I RMA'ed it through a local shop where I bought it from (it was still under warrenty) I also got a replacement while I was waiting for the new one to come in. So the RMA took about 5-6 weeks. When it came in I was surprised that I got a brand new 500W Smartpower 2.0 Modular PSU. I was estatic...for about a day when I noticed two things 1. It made a high pitch whine that was and still is unbearable! Probably due to coil whine or just a bad fan I don't know. 2. The voltages suck! Using ASUS probe I get 3.248 on the +3.3v rail and 4.892 on the +5v rail. It works but this is horrible. So now I ask what PSU is good for me now that Antec has left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak. My needs are between 450w-500w,Has to be silent! and being modular is also nice but not needed. Now about price I don't want to go overboard and pay $200+ for a PSU I'm willing to go up to $120 -$150 shipped (In canadian currency!) Thank you all very much, as always the [H] community is always helpful!

I understand what you mean but I also used Speedfan and a review site also had the same voltages as me while reviewing this model so basically this PSU isn't all too great.

Isn't the Seasonic S12 430W w/ PCI-E the same as the Antec TP430... I thought they used the same OEM... Channelwell or something like that, have to ask Jonny or Spectre

MD_Willington said:
Isn't the Seasonic S12 430W w/ PCI-E the same as the Antec TP430... I thought they used the same OEM... Channelwell or something like that, have to ask Jonny or Spectre

Seasonic makes their own PSUs. Antec's NeoHE is made by Seasonic, and has fairly similar quality.

dBTelos has most of it. CWT makes/made PSU's for Antec (Smartpower and Truepower) and Xclio (and others like some Thermaltakes). Seasonic made the NeoHe's and now the Trio for Antec. Before CWT and Seasonic Antec used HEC as their OEM. Seasonic is one of the actual PSU manufacturers not just brands like Antec, OCZ, Corsair, etc.

just came into this same problem with my sp-500. 1 year old almost, and its squeeking/whining soooooooo freakin loud!!!. im 6 feet away from the computer, and i feel like takin a sledgehammer to it. anyone else got this problem with Antec?? i did a quick search and came up with a few results, just wondering if anyone else has personal experience. all my other antecs work flawlessly so im a bit spoofed at this happening. wrote a quick letter to antec to see what they have to say about it, guess ill wait till they reply before going ahead with any plans.

ntba said:
I understand what you mean but I also used Speedfan and a review site also had the same voltages as me while reviewing this model so basically this PSU isn't all too great.

Software readings mean nothing, they arent accurate whatsoever. Read with a multimeter then tell us if your voltages "suck".

dBTelos said:
Seasonic makes their own PSUs. Antec's NeoHE is made by Seasonic, and has fairly similar quality.

Yes, yes and no.

Seasonic does make their own PSU's. And the NeoHE line is made by Seasonic, but no the quality between a Seasonic branded and Seasonic built Antec are not "fairly similar."

jonnyGURU said:
Yes, yes and no.

Seasonic does make their own PSU's. And the NeoHE line is made by Seasonic, but no the quality between a Seasonic branded and Seasonic built Antec are not "fairly similar."

Do they use the same caps?

IffY said:
just came into this same problem with my sp-500. 1 year old almost, and its squeeking/whining soooooooo freakin loud!!!. im 6 feet away from the computer, and i feel like takin a sledgehammer to it. anyone else got this problem with Antec?? i did a quick search and came up with a few results, just wondering if anyone else has personal experience. all my other antecs work flawlessly so im a bit spoofed at this happening. wrote a quick letter to antec to see what they have to say about it, guess ill wait till they reply before going ahead with any plans.

Yep, I'm having the same problem with my Antec SP 500W.

It was fine for the first week, then that high pitch squeeling started when the system was on load. So I exchanged it at Newegg. When I received my replacement, same thing happened, after about 1 week it started squealing again...

Edit: Let me know what Antec says about it, thanks.

shilent said:

It was fine for the first week, then that high pitch squeeling started when the system was on load. So I exchanged it at Newegg. When I received my replacement, same thing happened, after about 1 week it started squealing again...

That is the Fuhjyyu caps going bad, very low end caps that die easy. And are particularly prone to heat. That high-pitch noise is a tell-tail sign.

-dB

dBTelos said:
That is the Fuhjyyu caps going bad, very low end caps that die easy. And are particularly prone to heat. That high-pitch noise is a tell-tail sign.

-dB

What happens if this Fuhjyyu (the hell kind of name is that? LOL) cap goes bad? Dead PSU?

shilent said:
What happens if this Fuhjyyu (the hell kind of name is that? LOL) cap goes bad? Dead PSU?

Fuhjyyu is the name of the brand/manufacturer. And yes, dead PSU.

shilent said:

Probably not the caps, at least not yet, more likely poorly potted tramsfomer/coil windings.

Refund or RMA untill get a good one. :(

Back