ANTEC P182 + XFX 680i Mobo

daines1

Weaksauce
Gotta make this quick! Sorry for lack of details!

I just put together a new system last night. I have the ANTEC P182 case and the XFX 680i mobo. I have the OCZ XStream 700w PSU.

I hooked everything up and when I hit the power button, nothing happened. (I checked the back of the PSU to make sure the switch was going in the right direction!)

The mobo has a power/reset button on it. When I pushed it, it worked and booted up fine. So I went back to trying to troubleshoot the switch jumper. No matter what I do, I cannot get the thing to turn on via the front button. We used a voltage meter (is that what it's called?) to see if there was any current going through the button wires when it was pushed, but got nothing there as well. When the system is powered, the reset button on the case does work.

Is my power button DOA? I HATE to RMA this beautiful thing, but will if I need to. Can any of you think of another thing I can try before I call this in? It was a pain in the ass to get all the cables were I wanted, but I'll do it again if it means my awesome system will boot.

THANKS HARDFORUMITES!

Daines1

Reverse the pins, possibly you have the ground and power switched, and make sure you put them in the proper place, and didn't put them where HDD activity pins are supposed to go.

Reverse the pins, possibly you have the ground and power switched, and make sure you put them in the proper place, and didn't put them where HDD activity pins are supposed to go.

Thanks for the ideas!

I checked them all. We did test the Power Switch one and made sure it was indeed the correct one. Could the wires be mislabeled from Antec?

Daines1

if all your wires are CORRECTLY plugged in.

and you think its your case wires.

then just short the pins that turn on your computer with a screwdriver or something metal.

if it is your case.. send in bak in for warranty?

1st short the pins on the mobo to see if its your mobo's power header pins. 2nd if you need email antec I got the entire front LED/power button and USB assembly from them mailed to me. No need to mail them anything they just need the info from the stamp at the bottom of the case right in front of the PSU bay on the inside.

My father-in-law and I decided to get creative.

Right before I was ready to start taking pieces out of the system, we popped the front of the case off to expose the hole front panel and its wires. With barely any effort, we pulled one of the two wire connectors from the power switch. The heat shrink had apparently come undone or was too loose.

Went to radio shack and picked up more heat shrink and we used a lighter to reattach it. It is now a heck of a lot stronger (hold wise) than the old way it was done. Once we did that, the power button would work!

I was afraid to get too carried away with our "handyman" approach, but I have to admit that this was a hell of a lot better than waiting for an RMA! I'm even typing to you all now from the PC.

Thanks for the ideas! You guys are always the best.

Daines1

Back