Antec P180 owners - need help w/ PSU

Juardis

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new rig and just got the P180 from Newegg the other day (haven't opened it yet to see if it's the P182 or not though). Anyway, I had settled on an Etasis 850w PSU, but I'm concerned that it might be too deep. Height and Width appears fine, but depth might be a concern (86mm h x 150mm w x 180mm d, or 3.4" x 5.9" x 7.1")

What I want to know is, how much clearance do you have between the back of your PSU and the fan that sits in the PSU bay? How much clearance should I allow for the cables to come out the back and turn up 90°? Although I haven't measured the distance, a friend of mine said it's 8" from the back of the case to the fan blade, which, if I got the Etasis, would leave me about 0.9" from the back of the PSU to the fan blade. Is that enough room?

I suppose I'll find out when I open the case tonight, but is that fan adjustable? In other words, can I move it forward? Or can I buy a slim fan and replace the one there if I need more clearance?

The fan is removable, and is mounted with the standard 120mm fan mounting holes. You should be able to replace the fan if you want.

I didn't have much clearance with my corsair 620hx, but since its modular I didn't have a huge amount of wires going up the hole. I'm not sure how this size relates to yours but if they are similar you should be OK with leaving the fan in, just make sure you pull the wires up tight (zip tie or something) so they don't slip back down into the fan.

Also be careful of this if you use the other side for your HDs.

I was able to install the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 QUAD in the P180b that I received recently. The case was the newer 182 revision. It was a tight fit but did not even need to remove the bottom fan.

If squeezed for space and you want to keep the fan...putting a fan grill on should work great to keep the wires out of the fan blades. Looks nice too! ;)

build480.jpg

I was able to install the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 QUAD in the P180b that I received recently. The case was the newer 182 revision. It was a tight fit but did not even need to remove the bottom fan.
Excellent. Same depth as the Etasis. Thank you for replying.

Oh, and nice pic showing the grill. Where do you get those? I think I might want to get one (or 2? one for each side?)

And finally, it appears that mine is NOT the P-182.

I got mine from jab-tech. But pretty much all the internet shops have them so wherever is convienant.

Excellent. Same depth as the Etasis. Thank you for replying.

Oh, and nice pic showing the grill. Where do you get those? I think I might want to get one (or 2? one for each side?)

And finally, it appears that mine is NOT the P-182.

Get out the dremel then I guess. :)

I got a Enermax Galaxy in there, just drilled the rivets out and removed that whole fan thing.

How much cooling will I lose if I remove the fan in the lower bay? Seems like I lose the main benefit of this design if I do that.

Back