Antec P180 or Antec 900

Antec P180 or Antec Nine Hundred

  • P180

    Votes: 32 48.5%
  • 900

    Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Neither

    Votes: 5 7.6%

  • Total voters
    66
  • Poll closed .

IntelOwnz

Gawd
Joined
Oct 29, 2006
Messages
710
This should be a hands down yes or no I think.

I'm running a hot hot hot P4 3.0 prescott

Going for maximum cooling and a well build, relatively quiet case.
 
there's no way the antec 900 can be a quiet case with all that mesh. plus, IMO, it is UGLY AS SIN.

p180(with front fan mod) hands down.
 
I've got a friend running a 900, and while it's not as quiet as a P180, it's still pretty quiet. The only reason I didn't get one is due to all the dust in my house, and my being lazy about cleaning.

Basically, the 900 will be cooler running(all things being equal), while the P180 will be quieter, and more of a bitch to setup due to wiring issues in the 180's

And don't confuse looks with performance. Also remember looks are subjective. The OP must have liked the looks of both or he wouldn't be trying to decide between them.
 
thrawn86 said:
there's no way the antec 900 can be a quiet case with all that mesh. plus, IMO, it is UGLY AS SIN.

p180(with front fan mod) hands down.

Is that statement because your running the P180?

I"m running the 900, and it really isn't noisy at all, if it were, it would have been sent back. If you want a *cooler* running system, the 900 will do it.

Guess it all boils down to what your after in a case......either way, good luck with your decision!

Sphere
 
Sphere said:
Is that statement because your running the P180?

I"m running the 900, and it really isn't noisy at all, if it were, it would have been sent back. If you want a *cooler* running system, the 900 will do it.

Guess it all boils down to what your after in a case......either way, good luck with your decision!

Sphere

noisy, quiet, silent is all subjective. but given that you use the same hardware and fans, a p180 will be quieter than the 900. I don't think that there is any doubt about that.
 
wow thanks guys. I thought this would be a hands down one or the other type of thing...guess not

I like the looks of both of them, and they're both nearly the same price (within 20-30 bucks).

I like how the psu in the p180 is seperate from the system, but the 900 has that 200mm fan which is sweet
 
I have no problems with the cooling ability of the p180. I've got every fan slot filled with a yate loon, and I plan on replacing my PSU soon (with a short model) so I can have 2x 120s in the lower chamber.

fake edit: its not as ugly as I previously thought, I'm just not liking that weird upward sloping top panel at all, nor the side window.

Just functionally, I like the p180 better.

Lets compare:

P180

-2x front 120 (with simple mod)
-top 120
-rear 120
-chambered design, removable cages
-front door

900

-2x front 120 (led)
-top 120 (or whatever size fan that is)
-rear 120
-ugliest side window in the history of pc modding. mount for insanely huge fan

The 900s 'advantage' in cooling seems dependent on this behemoth side mounted fan, and unless that properly ducted (and the remaining mesh sealed off) I can't say I'm a huge fan of that.

/me sets mode -!!!!!!
 
I just built a system recently. After doing some research I decided to go with the p180.

check out silentpcreview.com
 
thrawn86 said:
I have no problems with the cooling ability of the p180. I've got every fan slot filled with a yate loon, and I plan on replacing my PSU soon (with a short model) so I can have 2x 120s in the lower chamber.

fake edit: its not as ugly as I previously thought, I'm just not liking that weird upward sloping top panel at all, nor the side window.

Just functionally, I like the p180 better.

Lets compare:

P180

-2x front 120 (with simple mod)
-top 120
-rear 120
-chambered design, removable cages
-front door

900

-2x front 120 (led)
-top 120 (or whatever size fan that is)
-rear 120
-ugliest side window in the history of pc modding. mount for insanely huge fan

The 900s 'advantage' in cooling seems dependent on this behemoth side mounted fan, and unless that properly ducted (and the remaining mesh sealed off) I can't say I'm a huge fan of that.

/me sets mode -!!!!!!

The side fan is just a 120mm, the top fan however is a 200mm

For me I like them both for different reasons, the 900 for its cooling ability, and the P180 for its modern styling. I think i would buy the 900 hands down if they made it possible to filter the front fans, and chaged the side window to a simple not so tacky one.
 
It looks like some people voted for neither case, lets hear what you have to say!

I've always been a huge antec fan but hey, if there is something better, i'm willing to switch...
 
here the temps on my nine hundred .
the case is not as noisy as you may think .
no , its not silent , but its no jet aircraft either .
performance and price wise , its a job to beat .
cheers .

andhere.jpg
 
there's no way the antec 900 can be a quiet case with all that mesh.

I must be the exception my 900 is quieter and cooler than my P180. :p

I honestly was skeptical until I got it up and running and then was very suprised that it was quieter and cooler. Well, not so much suprised about the cooler part, but defintely the quieter part.
 
i honestly think the p180 looks better. The 900's window shows way too much PSU, when it should instead be blocking that area.

In terms of temps though, i dont have either so i duno? :D
 
The 900s 'advantage' in cooling seems dependent on this behemoth side mounted fan

I think you may have the 900 confused with some other case. The 900 only has room for a 120 mm fan on the side panel. The top fan is 200 mm.
 
I have the 900 as well and highly reccomend it. As long as you have quiet components inside, it is a very quiet case. I also like the fact that it shows the psu as much as it does, because an upside-down ocz gamexstream looks badass with its bright 120mm fan like that. That other poster who thought of the 200mm on the side may have been thinking of the recently announced p190 case that has been talked about. Just my 2 cents.
 
The 900 looks like ass, with a serving of shit and cellulite.
 
I give a crap about looks these days. I've bought about 5 antec cases in the past, and always busted out the dremel on the very first day, some even got custom first rate paint jobs, windo kits, lights, cigarette lighters, fan controllers, VFDs, etc. The Nine Hundred is the only case I've ever had that I won't need to Dremel. From that standpoint alone, I am pleased. I maxed out the case with 5x120mm fans (all antec tri-cools, set on high). It has the huge 200mm fan on top, and I have a 120mm fan on my Thermaltake Big Typhoon, and a 140mm in my Thermaltake Toughpower 750 (full specs in sig). All fans are on high, and no, I don't care about the noise...400w Klipsch v2 400's take care of that part. Case temps as follows:

Antec Sonata:
Board: 112F
CPU: 132F
HDD: 117F

Antec Nine Hundred:
Board: 77F
CPU: 120F
HDD: 80F

P180 had insulated panels...it's meant for quieter than normal operation.
The Nine Hundred is made for maximum airflow in a mesh housing. It's a Wind tunnel

I'm in the for the Nine Hundred, loving it.
 
Dang this is so hard guys!
I love the looks of the P180 more so then the 900, but the 900 seems to run cooler...hmmm

I still don't know what to go with, dang.
 
Done properly, a P180 will run nearly as cool as a 900. For example, a Scythe Ninja, with the upper fan set to intake and the back fan to out, then a small duct so the air all goes through the ninja, then you should be set for that part. Remove the upper hard drive cage, and you'll have even better temperatures.

A 900, on the other hand, would not be a definition of a wind tunnel. A 900 is basicly just mesh. Which makes for a massive pressure drop. Can't control the way the air moves.
 
yea right now i'm thinking the p180 just b/c it seems better built, it's quiter, the psu is actually seperated from the rest of the components, there's nearly no difference in price for me, it actually has some decent cable management features, plus tons of spots to hide cables, and it has enough room to fit all my components plus some more room to maybe mod in some extra fans....but hey ya never know, i'm not buying for at least two weeks, so we'll see how things go.
 
I like both cases.

The 900 will give you better cooling option IMO. My temps are much better than any other case I owned. ...and honestly, I really like its looks better than the 180.
 
IntelOwnz said:
yea right now i'm thinking the p180 just b/c it seems better built, it's quiter, the psu is actually seperated from the rest of the components, there's nearly no difference in price for me, it actually has some decent cable management features, plus tons of spots to hide cables, and it has enough room to fit all my components plus some more room to maybe mod in some extra fans....but hey ya never know, i'm not buying for at least two weeks, so we'll see how things go.

a small mod for the nine hundred will hide those cables , no sweat .
the cooling is great .
cheers .
Picture036.jpg

Picture033.jpg
 
I own both cases, and run them side-by-side in fact (one is my Windows box, and one is my Linux box).

I love the industrial look for the Antec 900, but the window makes it hard to hide anything. The P180 has the look of quiet professionalism and sophistication.

Cooling/noise-wise...200mm fan on that 900 is godly. Running all Yates in both cases, and really the 900 is just a tad bit louder thanks to a rather shitty fan on the 7300GS and the 200mm Big Boy running on Medium.

Both are excellent, very good looking cases. Antec needs to make some kind of hybrid P900/P18900 something. :)
 
The P190 is almost a mix of the two cases. Check the forums for some pics of it, it has a 200mm on the side, 2 120's on the top, etc.
 
Back
Top