Antec P180 Case good?

Able4

n00b
Hey guys i'm am going to build a computer from scratch for the first time. I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about this case. Also I might be wrong I thought it said on this case the power supply goes on the bottom instead of the top. Does that have any effect on what sort of motherboard you use, or is it any trickery to hook up graphics cards and hard drives and stuff. Sorry for the probably noobish question. Also any recommendations on power supply's. I'm probably going to get AMD and either crossfire or sli. Thanks for the help.

I want one. There does seem to be a problem with the front doors though. I think that Antec will send you a new one if you request it, but it's a pretty easy fix.

The power supply does mount in the bottom. I would go with an Antec power supply since their wires are long enough to reach the power connectors. There shouldn't be too much trickery in the wiring.

I would go with SLI personally. If you run into any problems there's plenty of people that wouldn't mind helping you out.

PSU reccomendation http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103932

I have one.
They're fantastically engineered.
They're heavy
The wire management is a pita
they look stunning.
They're excellent at cooling.
IMO of the current higher end cases they're VERY nice.
I like it FAR better than my Thermaltake Armor or NZXT Lexa.

This case is pretty good, but its also a bit of a pain for a build depending on your components. The separate compartments make things kinda cramped. And you need a psu with long leads. My ocz 470 was long enough to reach mine on my mobo and they are pretty high up.

Wow. Thanks guys for the quick responses. I'm probably going to get AMD but don't know what motherboard i'm going to get. I'll definetly keep this case in mind. Any other suggestions. Like since i'm a first time builder i want a case that's really good at cooling but has ton's of space so i can really get in their. But at the same time nothing real fancy with all the lights and stuff.

Can people post some pictures of the insides of thier P180s because i am thinking of buying one too, do you guys think my components will have any problems fitting in the case?

Thank you

Hey dude. I think the only thing I would be halfway worried about would be that power supply and if it will fit because on this case it has it's own compartment. But i'm a noob so hopefully someone else will back me up or have another thing to be worried about.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81800#

I don't know if you checked out the screenies or not, but here's the link anyway.

P.S. Man now I don't know if i want this case. It's good but since i'm a noob i want a lot of room. I'm not really needing the power supply to be inclosed and stuff. So until I make this first computer I wouldn't want to try. Sorry if that sounds stupid but i'd rather pay a little less and have something not as nice but where I can really get in their then be a little restricted. Just me though.

Able4 said:
Hey dude. I think the only thing I would be halfway worried about would be that power supply and if it will fit because on this case it has it's own compartment. But i'm a noob so hopefully someone else will back me up or have another thing to be worried about.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81800#

I don't know if you checked out the screenies or not, but here's the link anyway.

P.S. Man now I don't know if i want this case. It's good but since i'm a noob i want a lot of room. I'm not really needing the power supply to be inclosed and stuff. So until I make this first computer I wouldn't want to try. Sorry if that sounds stupid but i'd rather pay a little less and have something not as nice but where I can really get in their then be a little restricted. Just me though.

Well i would like to seen screenshots of other peoples cases and how they manage thier cables and how organized the case is, it looks real easy to cable manage.

Able4 said:
Don't feel bad. Many people have done the same or gotten one and said that they wished they we're more experienced with building computers. I started with a huge server tower that I could probably put a second motherboard and computer in.

right now i'm diggin the aerocool masstige... check it out.

if you go with the p180 .. get the cool black one from SPCR .. silent pc review ..

I am very happy with my P180 - the nicest case I've ever built in and I've built a bunch of computers.

Here's a pic of the inside of mine - see sig for what all I have in there, a lot of stuff really but it fits nicely and the cable management was easy enough. What I did is built the whole thing, saw where I needed al the cables then unhooked everything and carefully redid the cabling and used wire ties to secure all the cables.

Pic of my P180

i have one and i wish i had gotten a p150...they're the same price, but you know you'll need a psu for both. the p180 needs a 4pin extension, and you may need a 24 pin extension too(i didn't). the door does bulge after about a week, and the "easy fix" only fixes it for a day. the door doesn't really bother me as much as the cables. because the psu comes from the bottom, i only have room for about 1 or MAYBE 2 pci cards. the main reason for getting the p150 is the hard drive supsension...which is much better than rubber...either way, they're better than most other cases out there.

Man thanks guys for all the help :). I'll keep this case in mind. But now however I think i'm going to hold off. Due to the announcement of a game I like called Flight Simulator. Their coming out with FSX so I want to see what the system requirements are and what they will be doing as far as HT technology and AMD. This way I can see where I should drop more money then in some place I really don't need it.

normally i would suggest that you don't wait and buy now, but with brand new cards, a new socket coming out in a few months (not to mention the g80 in about 4? months) you might as well wait a little bit to build.

I love my P180. I really don't care for the LED's and "bling" factor that a lot of cases have today, so the simple elegance of this case really appeals to me. Wire managment really is a chore with this case, but i've found that once you know where all your cables are going to be, it's quite possible to attain a neat appearance.

johnnq said:
i have one and i wish i had gotten a p150...they're the same price, but you know you'll need a psu for both. the p180 needs a 4pin extension, and you may need a 24 pin extension too(i didn't). the door does bulge after about a week, and the "easy fix" only fixes it for a day. the door doesn't really bother me as much as the cables. because the psu comes from the bottom, i only have room for about 1 or MAYBE 2 pci cards. the main reason for getting the p150 is the hard drive supsension...which is much better than rubber...either way, they're better than most other cases out there.

I didn't have to use any extensions - granted I've got a high end PSU in the OCZ but still, you don't always have to have an extension. ;)

I've actually had mine since it was officially released, and I have to say I'm extremely satisfied with it. My personal preference is a for a simple, look with no windows, blinking lights, spinners, underglow, hydraulics, and all that. ;) My previous case was a GMC Neo Classic which was awesome but I definitely prefer this one. Extremely solid too. Sounds like a block of wood when you're tapping on it. The only problem I've had is wire management but I really haven't opened my case up since I installed everything months ago so I could probably get it all worked out if I felt the need to dive back in there and fix.

[EDIT]
I've never really had a problem with the door either. I'm not sure what the problem is some people are having. My door doesn't bevel outwards or anything, it seems to fit perfectly still.
[/EDIT]

Back