• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Antec P160W vs.Super Lanboy

P160W or Super Lanboy?

  • P160W

    Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Super Lanboy

    Votes: 17 41.5%

  • Total voters
    41
  • Poll closed .
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
597
I don't need a "big" case but I do want an aluminum one. I can get the Lanboy off Antec's refurb'd site for 68 dollars shipped and can get the P160W shipped for about 77 dollars.

Both cases sometimes cost over 100 dollars if ordering via Newegg or even at local retail stores.
 
A friend of mine just picked up the P160, and its a nice looking case, it has enough room in it to accomodate most set-ups so you shouldn't be cramped for space, and the cooling is pretty effective.
The P160 would have to get my vote after seeing his set-up. Although I have no real experiance with the LANBOY, but from what I hear, you cant really go wrong with either, its just a matter of personal choice.
 
I just got the p160w and i love it. the case is so wide open and has ample room to run your wires behind the removeable motherboard tray. the case has ample air flow and a temperature display on the front of the case. The case also has a solid feel and is a pleasure to work with. I hope this helped.
 
I got a little hands-on with a lanboy at my local compusa. For me it seemed like a very flimsy case. The case is very light even for aluminum, and feels like it would vibrate like no ones business with some fans in it. The front door was uber cheap being all plastic and it just felt.... well, cheap. The P160 sitting right next to it seemed to put it to shame. I would go with the p160 just on initial build quality observations. Plus I think it had more interior room.
 
I used to use the P160W, and it is a nice looking case. My only problem with it was that the right side-panel was always difficult to remove (it might have been an issue with the first-fun of cases, as I had one), and I didn't overly care for the fan retention design scheme. Just make sure to limit touching the case, as fingerprints show a lot. :p
 
Thanks for your replies guys. My choices were between the Super Lanboy, the P160W, and the Aspire (Aprevia) X-Cruiser. If anybody's had any comments on the Aspire case, give it a shot! Although at the moment I'm leaning to the P160W because of how cool it looks and it is an Antec (as opposed to the Aspire X-Cruiser).
 
P160...I have an Antec SuperLANBoy and I hate the lack of space with which to work. Hiding cables becomes impossible...I have a rather lengthy PSU (Sunbeamtech NUUO 550w) and a super-long DVD-ROM (DVD-106s slot loading Pioneer) that makes cabling a nightmare. I'd sooner go for the P160.

Only reason I acquired my SuperLANBoy was that it was $30 after MIR deal on Black Friday @ CompUSSR, along with the fact that I hated lugging around my Antec1080AMG super tower to college / LAN parties. :D
 
While, I have never used that exact aspire case, judging from past cases, I would definately say go with one of the other two. I had an X-Dreamer, and the panels dont fit quite right, so you have to bend them and fight with them to get them back in. plus it is far more cramped than I personally would like.
 
Okay. The only reason why I was considering the Aspire case was because of how it looked ... in blue and silver. Although I just found out that the blue isn't the blue you see. It ends up being a dark blue which isn't what I want.

How are the finishes on the P160W and Super Lanboy? I have the original Lanboy (in sad shape) and didn't like the paint on it because it wasn't silver enough. It was "titanium" which was a dark silver.
 
Aspire Super sonic and Antec Super Lanboy look exactly the same, the finishes are OK. The only difference is that the super sonic has about 4 80mm fans and the lanboy has 2 120mm. Either is a great choice.
 
epikz said:
Aspire Super sonic and Antec Super Lanboy look exactly the same, the finishes are OK. The only difference is that the super sonic has about 4 80mm fans and the lanboy has 2 120mm. Either is a great choice.

I can't find any "Super sonics" anywhere. I did find an Aspire X-Sonnic which is internally a copycat of the original Lanboy case in which I have and dislike. Not to mention the front of it doesn't look very attractive to me.
 
get the P160, its alot bigger with more room to work with. imo, the lanboy is wayy too cramped
 
Anodized aluminum both are. (words of Yoda from Star Wars :) )

So does that mean they look good? I read that anozided aluminum was actually a way of getting all the outside aluminum to harden up by oxidizing it.

Also, does the right side panel come off of the P160W or not?

Last but not least, how do cold cathode lights look inside the P160W?
 
And how's the cooling in the P160W? I'd imagine with two 120 mm fans that it'd be good. Probably a lot better than my current case which has two 80 mm fans?
 
yeah its pretty legit.

I just installed a wc loop and it was a breeze with the p160w
 
azulcorvette said:
And how's the cooling in the P160W? I'd imagine with two 120 mm fans that it'd be good. Probably a lot better than my current case which has two 80 mm fans?
well the harddrive cage might be a bit restrictive but i dont think cooling will be a problem with the case
 
the lanboy is jsut too small. it really is the p160's baby brother. the 160 has that lil extra bits to it that make the difference
 
Ive done a build with a P160 and didn't like it at all. Feels really flimsy.

I do like the Super Lanboy however, it's a great case. It's not too small at all. It fit an XFX 6800GT with the big metal plate along the top just fine, lotas of room to spare. Cable management is quite easy too.
 
Oh man, tough choice. Although I like that response how the Super Lanboy is P160W's little brother.

I think I've made up my mind to get the P160W.

Thanks for the help here, guys!
 
azulcorvette said:
Ahh it looks very good with all those lights. Might have to get a tricool fan w/ fan controller like that guy (although I like blue, maybe a red/blue combo would look cool). I currently have two cold cathode lights that I plan to put in, so maybe red tricool fans?

What do you guys think?
That guy?

you dare call the g33z the great that guy :eek:


rofl, j/k.....go for the P160, its perfect size, only prob I have with it is the temp display that has died on me....

The coolest thing is make sure you get a fan for the front thats a different color from the blue. It looks so good with teh contrast. I did green, if you wanna do red, go for it and post PICS!
 
g33zy said:
That guy?

you dare call the g33z the great that guy :eek:


rofl, j/k.....go for the P160, its perfect size, only prob I have with it is the temp display that has died on me....

The coolest thing is make sure you get a fan for the front thats a different color from the blue. It looks so good with teh contrast. I did green, if you wanna do red, go for it and post PICS!

Here's what I'm thinking I'll do: I'll get the P160W and put lights and such in there with the stuff I have. Then I'll look at it, think about it, and then go to Circuit city and get a red Antec 120 mm fan if they have one. Maybe I'll go for green, who knows what they have in stock when I go. I'll put it in, and then decide if it looks x dollars better. If it doesn't look much better, then I'll take it back and use stock fans.

By the way, does it come with one or two 120 mm fans?
 
Just one, Iput in two blue led coolermaster 120mm fans. Also now that This thread has attracted many p160w users, I have a quick question that might benifit anyone with this case.
As we know the case comes with two temperature probes, and the led display alternates from one two the other every 3 seconds. my question is where is the best place to put the probe in the case. right now i have one at the top inside my case and one infront of the intake fan to get a measure of the temp of the air entering my case. is the top a good spot? that is where the hot air will go or will it be a false reading as to the temperature that actually surrounds the motherboard.
 
azulcorevette said:
Here's what I'm thinking I'll do: I'll get the P160W and put lights and such in there with the stuff I have. Then I'll look at it, think about it, and then go to Circuit city and get a red Antec 120 mm fan if they have one. Maybe I'll go for green, who knows what they have in stock when I go. I'll put it in, and then decide if it looks x dollars better. If it doesn't look much better, then I'll take it back and use stock fans.

By the way, does it come with one or two 120 mm fans?

It comes with one black 120mm fan in back. CompUsa has the Tri-Cools in every color. The red ones are cool and I would love to see what the red thru on blue would look like.


BLUEFISH44 said:
Just one, Iput in two blue led coolermaster 120mm fans. Also now that This thread has attracted many p160w users, I have a quick question that might benifit anyone with this case.
As we know the case comes with two temperature probes, and the led display alternates from one two the other every 3 seconds. my question is where is the best place to put the probe in the case. right now i have one at the top inside my case and one infront of the intake fan to get a measure of the temp of the air entering my case. is the top a good spot? that is where the hot air will go or will it be a false reading as to the temperature that actually surrounds the motherboard.

I'll take this one too.

The temperature probes are useless. First of all, you don't know which one is which as there is no indicator as to what temp correspond to what probe. Also, in my experience they are not 100% accurate so don't really rely on them heavily but rather to get a general idea or ambient temps. Me personally, in keeping with my wire management train of thought I just put mine up top since hot air rises and it sounds like the most logical as I would want to know general temps for the hottest part of the case.
 
BLUEFISH44 said:
Just one, Iput in two blue led coolermaster 120mm fans. Also now that This thread has attracted many p160w users, I have a quick question that might benifit anyone with this case.
As we know the case comes with two temperature probes, and the led display alternates from one two the other every 3 seconds. my question is where is the best place to put the probe in the case. right now i have one at the top inside my case and one infront of the intake fan to get a measure of the temp of the air entering my case. is the top a good spot? that is where the hot air will go or will it be a false reading as to the temperature that actually surrounds the motherboard.

I have the Antec Hard Drive Cooler that has the same style rotating temperatures. Mine was meant to put on the hard drive and anywhere else I wanted. To distinguish between the two, I put one on the hard drive and one near the air entrance to my case which the hard drive was always hotter. For the P160W, you could put one as a ambiant case temperature while the other was on the video card or inside the fins of your processor heatsink. You could also put a probe at the top of your case and one at the bottom and distinguish between hot and cold in all these setups pretty easily. As long as you take two different temps (always) things and do that you'll be okay.
 
I just ordered the P160W from Antec's B Stock website. Thanks for helping me make a decision guys!

Ryan
 
Back
Top