Antec P-180 questions, help me decide if I want this case?

mokkapoop

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys. I am looking to upgrade my case, currently a Lian Li pc-60 w/ side window. This case has so so air flow, but is just to noisy for all the fans needed to help keep things cool. I stumbled across the Antec P-180 looking through these forums, and there is quite a hype over this case, I think its a great case, especially with the 120mm fans, and the PSU on the bottom. A couple of questions. I stumbled on this case simply because someone said it was a SILENT as can be case, with some sort of noise dampening on it, is this true? If so, with all the 120mm fans going full speed, is it quiet, and will it be MUCH less noiser that my current case? If someone can help me with this, I just might go out and get this case tommorrow. Here is my current rig, in case this might help with the cooling/noise factors:

Lian Li pc-60
DFI Lanparty Ultra NF4 SLI-DR with 3/10 Bios
AMD 3700+ San Diego 939 at stock speeds
2x 1gb Patriot pc3200 2-3-2-5 at stock speeds
Gigabyte Radeon X850xt pci-e 256mb VIVO at stock speeds
WD Raptor 36.6gb 10k rpm sata
Sound Blaster Audigy
OCZ MODSTREAM 520WT psu
Dell 2005fpw

Noisy computers never bothered me one bit, not even my delta fan :p

However I woke up the other morning and thought my PC had died or something as I couldn't hear it for the first time in a while :p

It's a good case. One shortcoming however is that your PSU cables need to be extra long. My Enermax PSU's cables are just barely long enough, and could be longer for improved routing. I really like the drive cages and rails. The VGA cooler thing requires a slim 80mm fan so be aware if you want to use that.

I just upgraded a whole bunch of pc parts over the weekend, and I went from an antec Sonata 1 to a P180. I also have a 7800gt from a 6800gt. WIth 3 nexus fans, a zalman cpu cooler, and a zalman graphics cooler, I can't hear jack. It's insane. I didn't think it could get quieter than my sonata, but it has. And it's COOLER too. My temps are much much better. I'm totally, totally impressed.

Devnull said:

However I woke up the other morning and thought my PC had died or something as I couldn't hear it for the first time in a while :p

It's a good case. One shortcoming however is that your PSU cables need to be extra long. My Enermax PSU's cables are just barely long enough, and could be longer for improved routing. I really like the drive cages and rails. The VGA cooler thing requires a slim 80mm fan so be aware if you want to use that.
Shiate, I just bought one of these with a bunch of PC parts....I hope my ultra-x connect PSU works? Has anyone used one of those PSU with the P180? Thanks in advance

-Rikus

JSquid said:
It felt cheap and plastic.

Umm......................It's metal and kind of expensive?

Looks good to me. And it seems that its a quiet case. Quiet is good. From what I've read it's a little tough to work in, but for me it's going to be a gaming rig that hardly ever gets opened. I want quiet :D . Think I'm going to get one this weekend. Letcha know what I think.

well, since I am OP, I will tell u, I bought this case, and its HEAVY, NOT CHEAP, NOT PLASTIC, and I am about to put the goods in, wish me luck!

well phuck me in the a-hole, I got all my shit out of my other rig, got it in this one, and well, THE DAMN PSU CABLE DOESNT REACH THE DFI POWER ON THE MOTHERBOARD, OH WELL, GUESS IM TAKING IT BACK

well phuck me in the a-hole, I got all my shit out of my other rig, got it in this one, and well, THE DAMN PSU CABLE DOESNT REACH THE DFI POWER ON THE MOTHERBOARD, OH WELL, GUESS IM TAKING IT BACK

Before you do that, you can get extension cables for the PSU. Just search around. They're like 1-5 bucks depending on where you look.

Devnull said:

That's crazy talk. Have you ever owned a Tornado? :eek: I thought that a loud fan wouldn't bother me until I put that thing in. It was every bit as loud as a hair dryer.

To the OP, please let me know how your build comes out (assuming you do grab the extension cables) I'm considering going this route as well.

mokkapoop said:

Yikes, I almost bought this case and I have the same PSU, good thing i found a black aurora :D

as OP, I am taking it back. I think I will save the $200 almost, and settle with my Lian Li pc-60.

wtsamatta said:
Umm......................It's metal and kind of expensive?

Looks good to me. And it seems that its a quiet case. Quiet is good. From what I've read it's a little tough to work in, but for me it's going to be a gaming rig that hardly ever gets opened. I want quiet :D . Think I'm going to get one this weekend. Letcha know what I think.

so... you don't own the case but you have an opinion? :rolleyes: The P180 has a shitload of plastic parts. Maybe you should read a little more before you buy this cheap (yeah it is cheap) case.

Currently using the P180 and I like it very much. I added a fan controller and it is almost silent when web browsing and while it can be heard when cranked up for gaming it is still very quiet compared to my old no-name case with all the same components.

There are six raptors in my p-180. I CANNOT HEAR THEM.

That pretty much tells you what a p180 is meant to do, and does very well, imho.

You want a very quiet air-cooled case?

This thing about a 'slim' 80mm fan for the vga duct has just bit me. I ordered an 80mm fan for this case, stuck it in and 'bonk' it hits the edge of my quadro card. Blech..... what can be done - I can't think of anything except maybe the stock amd fan from the x2 chip looks a bit thinner.

I also had to remove the ps to install the lower case fan, it's the only way to get it in.

Kandor

I'm not really even sure that having a fan in the duct in the first place would work well if SilentPCReview's review of the P180 is accurate at all. Unless I'm mistaken, they only recorded improved temperatures in their testing when the duct was installed without a fan; an intake fan bumped up the VGA's temperature, and setting the fan to exhaust made it even worse.

I'd personally be content just to stick with the duct without a fan. But if you're really set on experimenting and trying to see if you can get better results, then Zalman makes a 15mm thick 80mm fan that could easily solve your clearance issue. I think Newegg sells it for around $8 or so.

mokkapoop said:
lol damn everyone knows that the modstream has a VERY short atx power cable

kandor said:
This thing about a 'slim' 80mm fan for the vga duct has just bit me. I ordered an 80mm fan for this case, stuck it in and 'bonk' it hits the edge of my quadro card. Blech..... what can be done - I can't think of anything except maybe the stock amd fan from the x2 chip looks a bit thinner.

I also had to remove the ps to install the lower case fan, it's the only way to get it in.

Kandor

Zalman has a thin 80mm fan that they use to mount on to the heatsink-"only" gfx coolers. One can be found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118212 Hope this helps.

Back