Antec Nine Hundred V.1, keep?

daphatgrant

Fi-yah!
Staff member
Update - I sent it to a farm upstate after it donated some pieces to a fellow [H] member.

Any reason to hold onto this thing? It's the bare case but it's got all the bay covers, pci slot covers, original screws etc and the 200mm top fan still works great but the 2 intake 120's could be replaced. You can get some pretty sweet cases for sub $100 these days with some major upgrades from this old 900. I'm thinking about just scrapping it.

Last edited:
I built a pair for my friend way back when these cases came out.

antec-900.jpg

I mean if you dont have a use for a spare tower you dont have a use for it. I would at least donate it to someone before trashing it.

Threw mine in the dumpster after my last rebuild....it served me well for about 7 years but the cable management was a pain in the ass for someone like myself that had to keep in neat.
QD7mm_tR9zTo1sI8Ta22df5rZfRJb7AOizarq6dpC-KEGpTcRlVifvI2xEEvhMJDM2CANj5um43Qw9xyko=w1302-h734-no.jpg
this to this
MsGCa8-PHGBA4U4ZdpnCxvwiYlFf_vtsJ6oRQjv_8c7b4GPaAiDjxyQDXqH2Td055nR91eT7ZtM2HxII6cA=w978-h735-no.jpg

So much easier to add or remove stuff.....and lighter to move around lol.....It sure as hell kept everything cool

Built a system in one for my mom with an OG Phenom back in 2008. When the HDD died a few years ago I upgraded her to a used 4770k (that I had bought for myself, but, you know, family) in the same case. Fans all still work, still quiet, but it's rusting out on the inside.

It's a good case if you don't have a lot to put in it, and spares are always good to have around, especially if yours isn't rusting. It's worth holding on to.

Its butt ugly but has good cooling.
I took the motherboard tray out out of mine and binned the case.
The tray was used for my PC built into a coffee table.
Sweet way to keep a PC in the living room.
PC Table inside.jpg

PC Table.jpg

Last edited:
Built a system in one for my mom with an OG Phenom back in 2008. When the HDD died a few years ago I upgraded her to a used 4770k (that I had bought for myself, but, you know, family) in the same case. Fans all still work, still quiet, but it's rusting out on the inside.

It's a good case if you don't have a lot to put in it, and spares are always good to have around, especially if yours isn't rusting. It's worth holding on to.
How in the hell is yours rusting? I never saw a spec of rust in mine the hole entire time....tbh i have never heard of a pc rusting lol

what is yours getting used for? just wondering
Everything a PC can be used for I suppose.
It has a monitor for web browsing while the TV is in use and connects to the AV system/TV for big screen gaming and movies.
Its pretty quiet.
The CPU (6700K) is water cooled and the gfx card (1080ti) has an Accelero Xtreme IIII cooler.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention
I also kept the hard drive bays/fans for the hard drives, you can see them in the picture.

Last edited:
How in the hell is yours rusting? I never saw a spec of rust in mine the hole entire time....tbh i have never heard of a pc rusting lol

Depending on the environment and the build materials, cases can rust all the time. Most steel cases aren't using stainless, the metal is coated or painted over to protect it. I have some old (20+ yr) Suns in bare steel rackmount chasses that aren't faring too well after a basement flood a long time ago, need to strip out the internals for...something, and toss recycle the cases.

In my mom's case, the reason is directly attributed to one geriatric cat, who probably also caused the drive failure. The case was on the floor in the corner, and as a warm spot where my mom worked, ancient Souris the cat was peeing on the floor by the case, often hitting it (this has been remedied for current kitties by elevation, though they still sleep on top for the warm breeze up their butts). Cat piss will apparently dissolve that gray coating and allow the rusting of the (not stainless) steel underneath.

The unrepentant culprit (may she R.I.P.), named for the squeaking noises she made.
Souris dans le fenetre 030808.jpg

I've owned over a dozen cases and I do have to say that the 900 is the first and only case that I've had rust "issues" with. By that I mean the screws rusted, not badly but they did have rust. Only the screws though, the rest of the case was perfect.

The case was never stored outside or in a garage or basement. You can kind of see it here, primarily on the thumb screw, it's not terrible but visible.
2019-06-03 09.44.37.jpg

Attachments

• 20190603_094437.jpg
    20190603_094437.jpg
    663 KB · Views: 0
I still have my Antec 900; it has my old-ass Pentium single hyperthreaded core running Debian.

Haha, I still use mine. Its my current and only machine. I'm looking to build a new system, and I might just keep it in this case. Only thing I've done with it was replace all the fans.

I have some rust in some on CM cases, also on a Ceton TV tuner. These PC's are 10 years old, and have sat in garages for extended periods (years).

I've owned over a dozen cases and I do have to say that the 900 is the first and only case that I've had rust "issues" with. By that I mean the screws rusted, not badly but they did have rust. Only the screws though, the rest of the case was perfect.

The case was never stored outside or in a garage or basement. You can kind of see it here, primarily on the thumb screw, it's not terrible but visible.
View attachment 165281
I must be the worlds worst at keeping up with parts....I always seem to have a shit load of the wrong screws no matter what case im currently working on..well mostly the ones that hold the side covers on lol

My ryzen 1700x + 1070Ti rig is currently in one. It's a great case, but really shows its age. I'll probably replace it eventually but for now it is working fine so no real reason to replace it other than looks. It even fits a 120mm rad in the back with a push/pull setup. That said, the 200mm fan is missing since I dropped a small screwdriver through the top of the case a long time ago..... and basically all the other fans are different now, most are still antec tri-cools but not the black ones with the LED like it came with.

This is the one my brother in law picked up a few weeks ago. Fixing it up for my 5yo nephew so he can have his own PC.
Didn't have any drive bay screws and the lower bay had no thumb screws holding it in.
IMG_3274.JPG

I always seem to have a shit load of the wrong screws no matter what case im currently working on..well mostly the ones that hold the side covers on lol
I usually just mix the screws myself but the 900 has some wonky screws so I kept them separate.

This is the one my brother in law picked up a few weeks ago. Fixing it up for my 5yo nephew so he can have his own PC.
Didn't have any drive bay screws and the lower bay had no thumb screws holding it in.
View attachment 165325
Did you buy all the same cases I did? You have a tsunami, 900.... What other cases do we share? I also have a thermaltake v3 (worst case ever) and a cm haf stacker but I don't think I've seen you post either of those.

My 900 lives on with a friend who needed a cheap desktop to add a quadro card to for engineering software homework.
Someone always needs a cheap case or desktop.
I got it in 2006 when I built most of the original system on Best Buy discount. It started with a E6300 core 2, got a Q6700 next year, an i5-2500K in 2011, and finally retired March of 2018.

Did you buy all the same cases I did? You have a tsunami, 900.... What other cases do we share? I also have a thermaltake v3 (worst case ever) and a cm haf stacker but I don't think I've seen you post either of those.
I bought a few antec 300's, HAF-932, couple of HAF-XB's, Air 540, Air 740, and some cheap Coolermaster Elite 430's. I bought 3 of the Elite 430's for peoples builds over the past 8 years or so and happened to get all 3 back over the past year.

My 900 lives on with a friend who needed a cheap desktop to add a quadro card to for engineering software homework.
Someone always needs a cheap case or desktop.
I got it in 2006 when I built most of the original system on Best Buy discount. It started with a E6300 core 2, got a Q6700 next year, an i5-2500K in 2011, and finally retired March of 2018.

I think I built these with E6700's,
carva-pc1.jpg

Back