• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Antec Neopower or OCZ Modstream or...

brians

n00b
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
42
I'm currently in the process of configuring a new machine with a Pentium 4 3.2 LGA 775 and 1GB of memory, 2 hard-drives, etc. I'm using the Coolermaster - Wave Master case and have narrowed down my power supply between the Antec NeoPower 480 and OCZ Modstream 520. I originally looked at the Antec TrueBlue 480, but I don't think it offers the 24-pin connector, pci-express cables, etc. I also considered the Ultra X-connect 500W, but I'm worried about some of the reviews I read and I would also have to purchase the extra cables for the motherboard. I did look at the PC Power & Cooling PSU, but that was a bit expensive.

Here are some of my concerns:

Antec Neopower - I have yet to find a way to purchase additional cables for this PSU. For example, if I wanted extra SATA cables, etc. I'm also disappointed that the cables are not sleeved, especially at that price point. Other than that, it seems like a quiet- solid PSU.

OCZ Modstream - Again, I'm not sure how I can obtain extra cables for this PSU. There is no mention about cables on their web site. Also, the cables seem very short and I wonder if this will be an issue in the WaveMaster case.

With both PSU's, almost all reviews praised them for how solid and quiet they run, except for SlientPCReview, which said they are still loud at full load. Anyway, if anyone has suggestions on a PSU, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
 
when it comes to "reviews"
by all means look at the pretty pictures and their take on the esthetics involved
but when it comes to real testing only pay attention to
Mike Chin @ spcr
Lee Garbutt (various sites)
and Oleg Artamonov @ Xbit Labs (the new proceedure)

the Neopower comes with several extra SATA connectors
go to Antec and download the manual

the Neopower is a truely copmpliant ATX12V v2.0 supply while the Modstream is a v1.3 hybrid that is simply compatible (bot are 24 pin, but the Neopower has the dual rails)
the Modstream barely edges out the Neopower in load regulation, but they both exceed spec

regarding cables for the Modstream, ask at the OCZ forum or email em
 
Go for the Modstream. It is top-notch. I am biased though. I think next to PC Power & Cooling that OCZ is the best PSU you can buy (Oh and Zippy/Emac)...
 
Max PC just named the NEO the best power supply topping PC power and cooling. Yes it doesn't have cable sleeves but just go to Frozencpu.com and by it with cable sleeves installed for free.
 
In a couple weeks we should have the various cables for the NeoPower available through our site.

AntecRep
 
AntecRep said:
In a couple weeks we should have the various cables for the NeoPower available through our site.

AntecRep

Hey can you get me free stuff?

Nice to hear you are offering cables soon. Getting my NeoPower tomorrow.

-zac
 
Well sleeving the Antec would be much easier since you don't have to open the PSU but the modstream looks much better IMO. Its got cool sleeving and is UV reactive. I am debateing on these aswell.
 
Thanks for the replies. Here's the deal, I spoke to both Antec and OCZ support and they both said they would offer additional cables, eventually. However, what is the point of spending big dollars for a high-end type PSU, when you have to purchase all these extra cables. I'm not saying that one would need a ton of extra cables. But it would make sense to have at least 2-4 SATA cables, etc. My point is, you spend $120+ on a PSU and then you have to add in an extra $20+ for cables, if not the cable sleeving also. I'm not being cheap, I would just like to buy a good PSU and be done with it, instead of having to worry about extra cables, sleeving, etc.
 
well, your not going to get away with less than $80 for any modern v2.0 supply,
your looking at 2 supplies that exceed spec at that price, and thats not unreasonable at all
sleeving is an "extra" and has absolutely nothing to do with the core job requirement
as far as SATA connectors goes, this is still a transitional period, and there aint nothing to be done about it, if you where running SCSI or PATA your tune would be different

the Neopower gives you an additional 2 clip and lock SATA connectors
(which if where sleeved youd be unable to employ without redoing at least part of a strand)

and in closing no power supply Ive even seen or owned has had a wiring harness of the right lengths and number of connectors to match what I wanted
you want a custom harness, you do it yourself
 
I don't think this works with the NeoPower, but with the Modstream, the modular outputs from the PSU are just plain molex- you can plug anything close/with long cables right into the PSU. This is only for the full-size 4-pins, though. You could even make your own cables for the modstream, if you really felt like it.

Also, for that many extra SATA connectors, you might as well just get a couple of 1-molex to 2-sata adapters, no? Otherwise, if you're willing to look at them, I think some of Enermax's new PSUs come with 4-6 SATA connectors. Can't find any links- sorry.
 
Thanks for the replies. The OCZ Modstream does have short cables, so I need to measure them and ensure they will fit in my WaveMaster case. From what I'm hearing, I can't go wrong with either model, NeoPower or Modstream. I have seen them priced pretty close lately. Of course, the Antec has received really good reviews, especially from Maximum PC. Tough decision...
 
Same boat as you I to and deciding between the 2. The modstream def looks nicer.
 
SniperXx said:
$160+shipping? When it can be had for as low as $110 shipped no thanks. Doesnt sound free to me.

I never said the PS was free just the sleeving.
 
I ment the sleeving doesnt sound free since they are jacking the price up at least $30 more than retail.
 
well that $30 would cover your tools investment and materials to do it yourself
but not leave alot for your labor

of course once you have the tools
and stockpile some extra pins and heatshrink and sleeving you can get quite creative with your wiring harnesses from here on out, or as a sideline for friends

its the route I went since I employ rackmount cases, and every PSU under the sun has a main power connector wire strand at least a foot too long :p
 
Back
Top