• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Antec NeoPower 480 Running Low?

petersondm

n00b
Joined
Mar 26, 2005
Messages
43
I have a new system I have buillt

AMD 64 FX55
A8N-SLI-Deluxe
Dual BFG OC 6800GT's
2 Gig Mushkin DDR 3200 512x4 Part 991093 Cas 2.5 - 3- 3 - 8
NeoPower 480
SB Audigy 2 ZS Pro
Case Cool Master Praetorian PAC-T01-EK
WD 74 Gig Raptor on NVidia Sata 1

Per the ASUS Probe the +12 Volt line is running 3% to low my normal voltage just running the desktop is 11.64 per the Neo specs the tolerance is +/- 3% and this PS is on the very bottom of this. I think it is causing my system to lock up. Anyone using a Neo 480 with similiar specs and running ok with both Vid cards in. My next step is to remove one Vid card and check it then but it is getting too late.

Oh no over clocking running at spec. Odd thing is day before I was running WoW fine and today as soon as I start up IE, 3D Mark 2003 or a game the system locks up. My cursor stops and keyboard wont work. The odd thing is cursor will jump on the screen like I am getting lag. I can run defrag, Ai Booster and PC Porbe no problems though.
 
Well the lock ups where caused, surprisingly, by the lack of power from the Neo 480 PSU. The 12 volt rail was only reading 11.63 and would drop to 11.57 when running with both Vida Cards in and my system would shutdown. I removed one vid card and everything ran fine I also swapped out the second vid card and it fine as well. I am getting a PP&C 510 SLI to replace it. I hope this helps out some people looking to build an SLI unit. All reviews for the NEO 480 lead me to believe it would run fine with my setup. Even the folks at Frozencpu who sold me the PP&C 510 SLI said the NEO 480 was a fantastic PS. I do like the modular connectors and maybe I just have a bad unit but many reviews mentioned the weak 12 volt rail for this unit. On side note one review suggest strongly to not use the fan only connector as the fans will only run at 50%.
 
I'm not sure you got a bad unit, I just think that beast of a system was too much for it. :D Glad you solved the problem!
 
I have the same problem...just not as hungry of a system as you (I wish I had that problem!) THe 12v rail on mine is about 11.6 as well/

I believe the Neopower simply does not have a very strong 12v rail. I am getting a Sea-Sonic to replace it when I get around to finishing my second computer.
 
I just finished putting together a sli system as well, albeit sligtly less, a 3800+, sli deluxe, xfx 2 x 6800gt, 120GB sata, dvd rom, dvd 16x writer...

will test out the 12V rail later with multimeter, but I wouldn't trust what the mobo reads for voltage.

I have a ic7-g that reads consistently low, while my multimeter reads0.2V high... I'm more apt to believing the multimeter over the mobo.
 
I checked it with Multi and it had 11.57. The 11.60 to 11.77 result on the 12 rail is consistent with a few reviews for the Neo 480 that stated the only downside was the weak 12 volt rail. It gets very confusing as some site reviews use this PS for similiar system as mine running dual 6800 Ultra cards. It is possible I and the other reviews with low 12 rail readings had bad units. Antec did offer to replace the unit with another one but I didnt want to take a chance just in case my system needed more power down the road. After removing one 6800GT card the system ran fine. Too bad I really like the modular cables of the Neo 480 and it seemed really quite.
 
Hrm. I've been considering upgrading PS's as well.. I emailed BFG support and asked what they recommended as far as a power supply and they gave me a pretty good rough guesstimate as to how much power you need depending on what you have in your system. I'll quote the email when I get home from work today.

In short, right now everything is running fine.. But I haven't tossed in my second BFG 6800 Ultra OC yet. Here's my layout, and judging from BFG's support email, my Neo 480 is just about at it's max output.

MSI K8N Neo4 Plat/SLI
AMD A64 4000+
Corsair XMS TWINX1024-3200XLPRO (2x512 @ 2-2-2-5 / 2.7v)
1*74GB Raptor, 2*200GB Seagate Barracuda (RAID0 via Sil Image)
Plextor 716SA
2*CoolerMaster CCFL tubes
4*CoolerMaster 80mm case fans w/LEDs
4*Custom/sleeved SATA Power connectors w/LED'd molexes
Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro cpu fan/heatsink combo w/LEDs
1*BFG 6800 Ultra OC
CoolerMaster Aerogate II Fan Control
Antec NeoPower 480

Now I'm really curious if it'll be able to handle another 6800...
 
Back
Top