Antec MX-1 USB/e-SATA questions

nanotechy

Limp Gawd
Hello All,

Wondering who among you all have had experiences with these Antec MX-1 USB/e-SATA external enclosures?

Where do you folks usually pick your enclosures from for great deals/prices?

Are RAID enclosures taking over these single enclosures?

Any recommendation whether to stay with single or go with the RAID enclosures?

Thanks in advance.

I bought an Antec MX-1 for an external backup for my parents. I was pretty impressed with the quality. I'm just using it for backups so I can't testify about the speeds. What else can I say? It works.

It was a while ago. It pops up randomly. Just check once a week or so. Coupons don't really exist for Fry's either.

I've been very happy with mine, though I haven't really been able to make use of the eSATA port due to motherboard issues :mad:

I use it for backup and also to store some movies to play on my HTPC and I've never had an issue with transfer speeds over USB.

The enclosure is very nice, though the fan in mine started making a whirring sound a few months in. VERY annoying. I had to open it up and loosen up the screws a bit to give the fan some slack, which has seemed to fix it. The fans in these things are cheaply made and not meant to last IMO.

I picked up a couple of them for $29 shipped a few months ago from Amazon. IMO, very nice enclosure. Cool and quiet (to my ears anyway). I only use the eSATA connection and its for weekly backups of my WHS. If I see this enclosure for around $30 again I'll buy a couple more to extend my Dish HD receivers as DVRs...

Thank you every one for all your inputs.

As I've never use any RAID system, so these question remains:

I got mine for $15 w/free shipping ($30 - $15 MIR). I think I got it from Amazon? I forget. Somewhere online. Microcenter had them on sale for $30 for about a month a while back.
Love mine. I'd buy another if I were going to get one.

Ah, nice. It is encouraging to see that many of you were able to get these at a much lower price. Thanks again for sharing.

This may be a small and, perhaps, insignificant item to some, but no so to those who are interest in getting one or a number of them.

So when any one sees this on bargain prices as mentioned here, please kindly point this out to be HotDeals forum. I may very well be getting a few of them.

I got mine from but.com when they had it on sale through ebay. I think I paid $45 shipped or close.

I'm really happy with it. I can go from my htpc to friends' and link with whatever interface they have.

Thank you every one for all your inputs.

As I've never use any RAID system, so these question remains:

Two different items for different purposes. If you want a simle back-up then the MX-1 would be a fine choice. If you are wanting more complex storage with fault tolerance then take a look at RAID storage. But if you decide you want RAID I would go ahead and step to you own server or at least a good NAS.

Back