Antec KUHLER HO 920 CPU Water Cooler Review @ [H]

Does anyone have any comparisons between the 920 and the best air cooling sinks out there?

Shouldn't there be a rather big difference, even under the same ambient conditions?

Or is the 920 really no better than the highest-end air cooling solution?

I'm having a bit of an issue here that I just cant figure out, so if Kyle or anyone else with experience could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

I bought this cooler based on [H]'s review, and the fact that Kyle would also be using this personally, but I'm actually having slightly worse results with the 920 than with my Promilatech Megashadow, under the same ambient conditions etc.

I replaced a prolimatech megahalem with this. My megahalem can technically outperform it when it comes to pure temp. However, I am running the same speed as with the megahalem (4ghtz). Now it seems like I have a case now instead of being cramped with that boat anchor.

if anyone is in canada.. it's on sale for 69.99 from memory express.... pretty hot price if u ask me.

I'm looking at this Antec Khuler for my next rebuild, but I was wondering how it would compare to a similar single-rad setup with a Black Ice GTX 120 and an Enzotech Sapphire water block.

As of now I am thinking the 920 will give me better value for money (being half the price of a custom setup) but to me the increase in cost is possibly worth it if I will see 5c+ better cooling. Anyone have any opinions?

Last edited:
Just installed my Kuhler 920.

Idle and Prime 95 100%

Stock HS/FAN
Idle - 47-50c
100% - 62-67c

Kuhler
Idle - 33-35c
100% - 43-44c

This is with the Custom fan setting set to:

Fan Ramp Start Temp : 30c
Full Fan Speed Temp : 40c

Big improvement for only $100. Going to try some overclocking now, hoping to get 3.8ghz-4ghz on this processor.

23lnpdi.jpg

Well overclocked my processor.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2013410

If I go over 3.8ghz I get unstable and I think it is because of the C2 stepping. I'm happy with it though because now under load the temp doesn't go above 50c which before it would go up into the high 60s even at stock speeds and volts.

I have both my fans pushing out. Is that the right way? The setup instructions indicated that, but I am reading push/pull?

NewPC7of7.jpg

My system is in my sig. I'm thinking about replacing my NH-U12P SE1366 with this, or maybe the Corsair H80. I can get the H80 for $90 or the H20 920 for $80 right now on sale. Is it worth it? My temps have always been a bit high and I'm wondering if this would reduce them much. I'm leaning towards this over the H80 because of the software control.

Thoughts?

Hi,

Is anyone noticed that 920 pump may make crackles? I am not sure why, i am not yet checked if there any power saving on CPU cooler or else enabled. But what can make that noise? I noticed it about 30 cm and when room is quiet i noticed that same sound over 3m distance.

Maybe there is air on system but how get rid of that?

I has installed my 920 this way?

sZxUz.jpg

Should i change it another?

Edit.

Hi,

I contacted my seller and they asked change block position if this help. If water slosh in the element then there is air and only way is send Antec to seller.

Last edited:
Mines make the same noise I guess , tell me please the led at the block pump shut off with the pc ? , cause mine always work :rolleyes:

Question for other 920 owners. Does Hibernation kill your ChillControl software? Mine does. I hibernate because sleep is borked on P67 with my Sabertooth.

Question to 920 owners: How are you enjoying your product? I may pick one up Monday, but I'm tossing up between this and the Corsair H80.

Question to 920 owners: How are you enjoying your product? I may pick one up Monday, but I'm tossing up between this and the Corsair H80.

cools really well but it's very noisy with the fans on high speed. I have my 2600K OC to [email protected] and it kept it under 60C after 3 hours of Prime 95. the software that control the fan speed is pretty much a joke. basically it's low or high. the pump packed it in about 5 weeks of use. started my computer up one morning and there was a loud ticking noise and the computer shut down after a few minutes because my CPU overheated. took about 3 weeks turn around time to get it fixed.

I hate. Because cooler is making noise and just got new one but same problem. Still too much air in the system. I can't anymore believe this.

I have my 920 too but the led lights always on even I turned my pc off , its happening to you 2 guys?

The LED will stay on from quite some time after power off, this is because One LED's do not use much power, Two even though you turned your pc off, the caps and such in the PSU are still live and will continue to power your pc until it has used up all power.

The Led in my system turns off after about an hour or so.

What noise problem are you having? like you hear the pump? it might have something to do with how you mounted your radiator.

Does it help with air pockets/bubbles if your mount the rad with the tubing on the top instead of the bottom? This is my current config after returning my H80 for the 920.

kuhler.jpg

Im thinking of getting this, but I read about noise issues on newegg, the clunking sounds. I see some have the tubes on top while others have them on the bottom. Maybe something to that?

Anyway Im looking to get this myself but concerned about the fan noise, can I change the fans out for quieter ones? If so what do you all recommend?

Im thinking of getting this, but I read about noise issues on newegg, the clunking sounds. I see some have the tubes on top while others have them on the bottom. Maybe something to that?

Anyway Im looking to get this myself but concerned about the fan noise, can I change the fans out for quieter ones? If so what do you all recommend?

I had noise when tubes were on the bottom as in the pic in the post before yours. I just rotated my rad and now the noises are gone. The clunking sounds are caused by knocking in this effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_hammer

In these coolers, the biggest contributer is air pockets that naturally are supposed to goto the radiator so they can get caught in the air traps designed in them. The biggest factor to the noise is that the rad needs to be higher than the CPU. That's why many people mount the rad above or flip the case on the side to silence these things. See if your mounting point is high enough over the CPU socket.

Fans are not going to be the noisy factor. I can still hear the pump above the stock fans are on silent mode.

Last edited:
Im getting the SILVERSTONE FT02B so it would be mounted on top above the cpu. I take it that should take care of any potential noise from the radiator. Iv seen complaints about the fan noise though and even came across this youtube video showing that it can get loud under load. Just would like the option to change out the fans as long as its viable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7CH_TwY3UM

Im getting the SILVERSTONE FT02B so it would be mounted on top above the cpu. I take it that should take care of any potential noise from the radiator. Iv seen complaints about the fan noise though and even came across this youtube video showing that it can get loud under load. Just would like the option to change out the fans as long as its viable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7CH_TwY3UM

The Antec fan profile is fully user customizable unlike the Corsair H80 solution which only has 3 preset modes. You only get that noise if you run it at max speeds which is uneccessary even for the highest overclock and won't make much difference.

Putting the Antec 920 in my current build. Got it tweaked out last night. Love the software.

By "push pull" does that mean from the inside of the case to the outside?

By "push pull" does that mean from the inside of the case to the outside?

No, it just means one fan is pushing into the rad and one fan is pulling into the rad. Both fans are facing the same direction. Same as with a traditional heatsink.

You can mount the rad as intake or exhaust. I get better results as intake as the cold air from outside gets directly to the rad instead of recycled air from inside my case.

No, it just means one fan is pushing into the rad and one fan is pulling into the rad. Both fans are facing the same direction. Same as with a traditional heatsink.

You can mount the rad as intake or exhaust. I get better results as intake as the cold air from outside gets directly to the rad instead of recycled air from inside my case.

logically that makes sense. However in my testing with my 920 and setup i have found the opposite to be true.

Pulling air from inside the case and exhausting out the back, results in a 1c-2c drop in the liquid temperature/thus cpu temp. My case is very well ventilated so is rarely above ambient, and if it is not by much.

Kyle, can you let us know if you choose to mount your 920 with the pipes in the lower or upper orientation or if it made a difference to pump noise? Also, are you using the stock compound or replacing it with something else?

The software is handy isn't it? Antec has made a much better and user friendly choice rather than what Corsair did with users having to wait for a Corsair Link unit which you would have to pay extra on top of their WC unit and adds more kludge to your build. Just being able to control and monitor the unit via desktop software is so much more convenient.

I am putting this in a Raven 3 so the rad will be horizontal above the pump. Playing with it on the bench, the in/out on the rad needs to be above the pump to keep it quiet in my experience.

I used Thermalright Chill Factor compound in an light X pattern. Got it clocked at 4.5 at 1.41 vCore and it is bumping up to low 80s, but I would suggest avg core temp is around 78C under full CPU and RAM load.

Antec's software control is the bomb. Give the fans a initial temp to ramp up on and another temp to be wide open at. Very slick.

Just trying to figure out the best configuration using the New Silverstone FT02 case. I plan to have the rad at the top like in the following image. Just wasnt sure the best config for the fan directions.

5349933696_b9b1181d30_b.jpg

Just trying to figure out the best configuration using the New Silverstone FT02 case. I plan to have the rad at the top like in the following image. Just wasnt sure the best config for the fan directions.
[/QUOTE]

With the FT02 in particular, everything is exhausting out the top so I would follow the path of hot air convection and have your fans exhausting as well. Since you can mount your rad on the top of the case above the CPU socket, it will be quieter as well. You don't want your CPU sucking in hot air from the videocards and the PSU which would be right beside it.

This hardly ever happens.....I am turning off the ceiling fan in my office because I am cold. Bye bye 580 SLI!

Im installing this cooler on a Asus P8Z68-V Pro mobo, where do I connect the USB cable coming out of the cpu mount to the mobo. I cant figure out what plug on the mobo to plug it into.

MZZrSl.png

0TT50l.png

#15 Choose any of the 3 USB 2.0 headers. I used the first one on the right after looping it behind the board. Make sure you line up the key pin (the one that is empty) with the first pin on the right.

On this board, it won't be happy if you don't have a PWM fan on the CPU fan header so make sure you go into the bios and under the boot option disable the Wait for F1 after error function so that the computer doesn't stop on every POST complaining there is no CPU fan.

usbheader.jpg

Last edited:
In regards to the 920, has anyone experimented with switching out the stock fans for a pair of other fans? Say Scythe or Gentle Typhoons?

I have seen a lot of people do this with the Corsair H100's and was just wondering if there is a general consensus or feedback on the subject.

Back