• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Antec ISK 300-150 Question

updawg

Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2010
Messages
609
Is the PSU that comes with it powerful enough to power i3-3220 and the low profile saphire 7750? Or do I need the i3-3220t or does it not make a difference?
 
Yes it would be fine. I'm using mine to power a Core i5-2500K (stock clocked), Radeon 6670 (around same power profile as the 7750-800) and three SSDs. I haven't seen more than 138W power draw from the wall during gaming.
 
Zap. Have you had any issues pushing that PSU that hard? I remember reading around that these 150W PSU;s are not that great of quality.
 
I've also done a similar build. Here's the details:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4445805&postcount=20

Very interesting. My 138W was from 3DMark Vantage. Good thing I didn't try IBT+Furmark. :p TBH I don't consider that a realistic test as I will NEVER run my system thus loaded.

Not only is my quad Sandy more power hungry than your dual Ivy, but the older/slower 6670 draws more power than the 7750.

Zap. Have you had any issues pushing that PSU that hard? I remember reading around that these 150W PSU;s are not that great of quality.

Where did you read that? HWS reviewed the case + PSU. They have a load tester, so they were able to do some proper testing of the PSU. I am not aware of any other review that used a load tester. Let me quote from the review.
The power supply from Antec ISK300-150 can really deliver 150 W
...
The main problem with this power supply is efficiency: below 80% all the time.

Voltages were always within their allowed range and noise and ripple was always below the maximum allowed.

So, it can put out what it claims and the output quality was decent. Only "problem" is low efficiency.

Me personally? I have had no problems with the PSU. I used that machine as my only computer for around a half year, including gaming.

The only problem I've had with the entire system... is that the Zotac H67 motherboard crapped out. :mad:

I'm considering going with a 3570K + ASRock Z77E-ITX. I can probably overclock a hair while undervolting, and still use less power. Plus, I can get another 256GB SSD in there using the mSATA. I've already bought the Radeon 7750 (it showed up after my motherboard failed :( ).

Just for some added craziness I also bought a Seasonic SS-250SU power supply. While the Antec has only 10A on the +12v, the Seasonic has 18A. It is also 80Plus Bronze. It is the same size as the Antec PSU, except for the smaller fan and the normal power plug. I paid $40+shipping for it at Superbiiz. I'm considering modding it to work in the ISK 300, turning it into an ISK 300-250. :D If I can get the motherboard/CPU I want and mod the power cord to not interfere with the CPU cooler so that I can use a taller one... gonna OC the CPU and GPU. I also have ideas on adding a third mounting spot for a 2.5" drive while still keeping the slim ODD and two original 2.5" bays.

EDIT: Some thoughts on the ISK 300... If I could change a few things about it, I would remove the eSATA on the front panel and include an SD card reader plus a USB 2.0 port (together taking up one header), in addition to the USB 3.0 ports that the new version comes with. Also, I'd do a PSU like the Seasonic 250W, but of course with the 80mm fan. I would change the power plug so it doesn't interfere internally, add the extra 2.5" bay that I know will fit, add the extra SATA power plug needed, and make the case come with two fans instead of one. Oh yeah, and make it have some tall feet, instead of requiring the stand. Or have the stand screw on, so the case isn't just sitting in it like a cradle. Yeah, just vote for me for Antec case product manager. I'm Zap and I approve of this message.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top