Antec High Current Gamer 900W?

guy_uoft

n00b
Joined
Jul 9, 2004
Messages
50
Any thoughts on this PSU? I know [H] gave it a bad rating because it failed at full load, however JonnyGuru and HardwareSecrets both sang it the utmost praises. Which one do I trust? I have the opportunity to buy it brand new for $100 CAD tax in, should I take it?
 
well anytime I see a bad review it puts up a red flag

as you mention it failed at full load. so are you going to be using it at full load at anytime? if the answer is yes then avoid it for the time being.

I hope that helps
 
hardwaresecrets have reviewed only the 750W model

The 900W failed in the [H] review because the power supply activated a shutdown trigger when temperature exceeded 40C. This was explained by Antec's rep in the official thread about the review. [H] methodology is to test PSUs at higher temperature than that even though in practice you're very unlikely to exceed 40C ambient.
 
It sounds like thats a good thing though, it has a failsafe against heat.
 
It sounds like thats a good thing though, it has a failsafe against heat.

OTP is a standard feature of quality power supplies. The High Current Gamer 900W had issues with this feature preventing it initially from doing it's full power even at Antec's rated temperature and then it was respun to fix this issue before we get the unit for review. However, the respun product was still not able to do full load at our 45C (like many power supplies we see) even though the unit was nowhere near a dangerous heat level. Many people believe the unit could function at 45C ambient at full load based on the design, we have, however, been unable to verify this as the units we reviewed either are incapable of 45C operation from go, or the OTP is still set too low. And Antec never did get back to us.
 
OTP is a standard feature of quality power supplies. The High Current Gamer 900W had issues with this feature preventing it initially from doing it's full power even at Antec's rated temperature and then it was respun to fix this issue before we get the unit for review. However, the respun product was still not able to do full load at our 45C (like many power supplies we see) even though the unit was nowhere near a dangerous heat level. Many people believe the unit could function at 45C ambient at full load based on the design, we have, however, been unable to verify this as the units we reviewed either are incapable of 45C operation from go, or the OTP is still set too low. And Antec never did get back to us.

scratch Antec from my PSU candidates list.
 
scratch Antec from my PSU candidates list.
Why, because they set the OTP a bit too low? Out of all the possible things that could go wrong with a PSU, I'd say this is one of the better ones. In any case, the flaw should be long fixed by now, and in all other respects this is a very good PSU.
 
Why, because they set the OTP a bit too low? Out of all the possible things that could go wrong with a PSU, I'd say this is one of the better ones.

Yeah, I guess it is awesome till you have a ton of work that gets lots because of it. 40C shutoff? Psha..
 
Back
Top